Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

OFFICIAL 2020 Gardening Thread

Recommended Posts

Brad Eden

F0358914-BAC4-4148-A7CA-A2DFD4861D29.jpeg
 

My “kids” posing....and raiding my garden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Felix
22 hours ago, Cheesy said:

Picked the first tomato last week, have picked a couple dozen since then.  Had he first BLT last tight, actually a BLTOPCM.

aAfTphh.jpg

 

 

 

  That looks delicious!   Double like.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spiller

my garden from the upstairs throne

enhance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
barna

Here is mine getting closer to picking time. 

IMG_20200716_211343.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quailguy
On 6/29/2020 at 7:31 PM, Brad Eden said:

01FED69D-9186-4340-A602-E2DBDFB220F3.jpeg
 

Quite far along for a Maine garden, and finally some rain. A few days of it forecast says. Should have some young cucumbers and summer squash and zucchini soon, and hopefully some sweet peas.

Quite the farm you’ve got there. It’s impressed I am.  
A number of years ago I was slaving away in my garden, a 20x60 master piece. I wondered what day it was checked and it was June the 4th. All I had done so far was work and then come home and work in the garden.  Not an hour of fishing or anything else.  I picked up the hoe, took it to the shed and never picked it up again. 
They do sell that stuff in grocery stores you know.  
Here you’d have to build a 5 or 6 ft high fence around the garden.  Woven wire fence. What the deer don’t get the rabbits and chipmunks do. In fact all the crazed gardeners around here have fences and aluminum strips and plates swinging in the wind to keep the birds away that fly over the fences. Too damn much like work that is.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
8 hours ago, quailguy said:

Quite the farm you’ve got there. It’s impressed I am.  
A number of years ago I was slaving away in my garden, a 20x60 master piece. I wondered what day it was checked and it was June the 4th. All I had done so far was work and then come home and work in the garden.  Not an hour of fishing or anything else.  I picked up the hoe, took it to the shed and never picked it up again. 
They do sell that stuff in grocery stores you know.  
Here you’d have to build a 5 or 6 ft high fence around the garden.  Woven wire fence. What the deer don’t get the rabbits and chipmunks do. In fact all the crazed gardeners around here have fences and aluminum strips and plates swinging in the wind to keep the birds away that fly over the fences. Too damn much like work that is.   

 

Thanks. We are enjoying a very good year despite a drought earlier.

 

But can’t relate on the labor thing. I think that notion turns off a lot of people from growing their own vegetables. Maybe it’s is  regional to a degree. Granted the huge in ground/tilled garden at old place required more work and maintenance, but this raised bed arrangement is more pleasure to maintain than pain. Once I had turned soil over and mixed in some fresh compost and 5-10-10 into beds, got everything sowed and seedlings planted, it takes care of itself. I pack it in so very little weeding and zero weeding in the seedling beds that have black plastic set down. I literally just water if it hasn’t rained, staked the tomato's and that’s basically it besides harvesting the bounty. I actually relish puttering around in the garden, trimming tomato plants to allow air flow to avoid blight, watering here and there, etc. 

 

At the old place I did deal with woodchucks at first, that were soon eradicated. The coons were the worse problem, eating the corn. And free ranging chickens are not good for a young garden starting out...I learned. But no deer. Same with this new raised bed arrangement. The only varmints I deal with are snowshoe hare and chipmunks-eating the strawberries. Hares are kept at bay with a low strip of chicken wire stapled to the bed, and I catch the munks in a small hav a hart tarp. Just relocated one yesterday. We have deer all over but for some reason, they never come close to the garden. Probably because there are 1000’s of undeveloped acres all around us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quailguy
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

 

Thanks. We are enjoying a very good year despite a drought earlier.

 

But can’t relate on the labor thing. I think that notion turns off a lot of people from growing their own vegetables. Maybe it’s is  regional to a degree. Granted the huge in ground/tilled garden at old place required more work and maintenance, but this raised bed arrangement is more pleasure to maintain than pain. Once I had turned soil over and mixed in some fresh compost and 5-10-10 into beds, got everything sowed and seedlings planted, it takes care of itself. I pack it in so very little weeding and zero weeding in the seedling beds that have black plastic set down. I literally just water if it hasn’t rained, staked the tomato's and that’s basically it besides harvesting the bounty. I actually relish puttering around in the garden, trimming tomato plants to allow air flow to avoid blight, watering here and there, etc. 

 

At the old place I did deal with woodchucks at first, that were soon eradicated. The coons were the worse problem, eating the corn. And free ranging chickens are not good for a young garden starting out...I learned. But no deer. Same with this new raised bed arrangement. The only varmints I deal with are snowshoe hare and chipmunks-eating the strawberries. Hares are kept at bay with a low strip of chicken wire stapled to the bed, and I catch the munks in a small hav a hart tarp. Just relocated one yesterday. We have deer all over but for some reason, they never come close to the garden. Probably because there are 1000’s of undeveloped acres all around us.

I dunno why the deer leave you alone. Back in south Texas we had a nice place, but only about 1/4 ac was “ the yard”.  Deer were in that yard all the time. They came up on the porch and ate my roses 🌹 that were in pots. I had to fence them off. 

7 deer in the side yard, December 2016, Rio Medina

 

There were other critters that made a mess of things.  Charged out in the side yard. 
 

dead one


And, just in case one thought of actually sticking the odd limb into a patch of cucumbers to pick some, we had numerous other discouraging critters.

 

western diamond back rattler

DSC00461

This one nearly got me: the wife ran the shotgun out to me while I was still swearing. Which led to packing 100% of the time and custom snake boots, two pair. The originals hurt my feet and I wasn’t wearing them when headless almost got me. No, no garden for me, this is what I see if I were to reach my hand into some green, inviting spot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BBlizzard18

Gardens are in cruise control this time of year for the most part, maybe a couple hours a week weeding, pruning maters, admiring.  We just started eating some cherry tomatoes, cukes are a week away but looking awesome.  Lots of greens, snap peas, and green beans.  There's probably a half bushel of bush beans out there I need to go pick.  I think I'll make dilly beans with them this weekend.  My wife picked a pint of raspberries this morning, kids finished them already.  Halloween pumpkins are starting to blow up, they spend the first two months acting like they're not going to amount to much then about this time they explode, in my experience anyway.  The campfire on 4th of July got a little out of hand and scorched my Swiss chard, it seems to be making a full recovery though.  We have lots of garlic that will be pulled in a couple weeks,  fun time of year for the garden.  

 

Picked up 20  mixed heritage breed turkeys from the post office this morning.  I ordered them from a hatchery in Ohio, was disappointed when I learned they had shipped from New Mexico on Tuesday.  We were prepared for the poor things to be expired on arrival, but most are looking pretty good.  One was dead in the box, and a couple weren't far behind.  Wife and daughter are attempting to nurse a couple back from what is likely severe dehydration.  We'll see what happens.  We're hoping to have some very local turkeys  for the holidays, and gift some to family & friends (ready for the oven, not live ones).  The thought of gifting people live turkeys just gave me a good laugh though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden
32 minutes ago, BBlizzard18 said:

Gardens are in cruise control this time of year for the most part, maybe a couple hours a week weeding, pruning maters, admiring.  We just started eating some cherry tomatoes, cukes are a week away but looking awesome.  Lots of greens, snap peas, and green beans.  There's probably a half bushel of bush beans out there I need to go pick.  I think I'll make dilly beans with them this weekend.  My wife picked a pint of raspberries this morning, kids finished them already.  Halloween pumpkins are starting to blow up, they spend the first two months acting like they're not going to amount to much then about this time they explode, in my experience anyway.  The campfire on 4th of July got a little out of hand and scorched my Swiss chard, it seems to be making a full recovery though.  We have lots of garlic that will be pulled in a couple weeks,  fun time of year for the garden.  

 

Picked up 20  mixed heritage breed turkeys from the post office this morning.  I ordered them from a hatchery in Ohio, was disappointed when I learned they had shipped from New Mexico on Tuesday.  We were prepared for the poor things to be expired on arrival, but most are looking pretty good.  One was dead in the box, and a couple weren't far behind.  Wife and daughter are attempting to nurse a couple back from what is likely severe dehydration.  We'll see what happens.  We're hoping to have some very local turkeys  for the holidays, and gift some to family & friends (ready for the oven, not live ones).  The thought of gifting people live turkeys just gave me a good laugh though.  


Cruise control. Exactly. Same here in ME but I’m behind you. No tomatoes, beans in a week or so, cukes are babies and I eat them on the vine. Finishing up sweet peas and all broccoli has been picked since it was starting to flower. Corn end of a August is my guess. Pumpkins plants look good but jury is out.

 

Back at old place I raised Bronze turkeys. The kind that look like wild turkeys. The poults are dumb and less rigorous than chicken chicks. Got a couple to go upwards if not over 30 pounds. Started out processing/plucking myself but in numbers that is daunting. I found a place that does it for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheesy

Picked my second gallon of blackberries this morning. Probably have 2 more gallon to ripen.  Pies and jelly here we come. 
 

Need to pick tomatoes tonight, probably have 10 gallon ripe. Coworkers are going to start locking their truck doors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JWP58

I have a few tomatoes and a bell pepper. John Wayne was correct, you can't farm above 6k ft. Well without a green house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

Just picked and shucked the last of the sweet peas. I have a rack of baby back ribs in the smoker, and am gonna make up some garlic mashed potatoes from the new potatoes from garden and steam some garden broccoli to go with the ribs for dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UplandHntr

Its so flippin hot and humid here I dont feel like cooking anything. Cant heat up the house with the oven and Im so tired of grilling food, Ive run out of ideas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

74C4390A-50EC-430F-B808-449E34B7C349.jpeg

 

Baby backs were meaty, and delicious. 5.5 hr smoke with Hickory and a little Apple wood, starting at around 240° and ending the last couple hours at 200°. Half the rack straight rubbed and smoked, other 1/2 glazed with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and foil wrapped the last couple hours. No complaints...

 

Oh in the spirit of this gardening thread, those are mashed potatoes and broccoli in the background from the garden.


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BBlizzard18
20 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

74C4390A-50EC-430F-B808-449E34B7C349.jpeg

 

Baby backs were meaty, and delicious. 5.5 hr smoke with Hickory and a little Apple wood, starting at around 240° and ending the last couple hours at 200°. Half the rack straight rubbed and smoked, other 1/2 glazed with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and foil wrapped the last couple hours. No complaints...

 

Oh in the spirit of this gardening thread, those are mashed potatoes and broccoli in the background from the garden.


 

 

Looks great, you convinced me to grab some ribs today at the store. I  put them on around 1 with some applewood.  Garden contributions will be the potato salad and the first zucchini and squash, I'll throw those on the grill when the ribs are done.  There's something special about new potatoes, just flat out better than any potato I've bought from a store.  For you zucchini and summer squash fans...slice them about a 1/2" thick season with S&P and garlic powder, coat with a little olive oil, and grill until there are some decent marks on both sides.  Add some chopped herbs for some extra flavor.  It's a great summer side IMO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×