REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

OFFICIAL 2020 Gardening Thread

barna

Wife caught the back half of this raider yesterday. She was grazing on my cucumbers that are growing through the fence.  In broad daylight, absolutely no  fear.  I was given very strict instructions not to harm any deer on the property. :( 

IMG_20200720_163503.jpg

Brad Eden

68EDAE6F-E343-475C-B44F-385B9327D271.jpeg

It’s coming in hot now.

barna
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 3:42 PM, BBlizzard18 said:

Looks great, you convinced me to grab some ribs today at the store. I  put them on around 1 with some applewood.  Garden contributions will be the potato salad and the first zucchini and squash, I'll throw those on the grill when the ribs are done.  There's something special about new potatoes, just flat out better than any potato I've bought from a store.  For you zucchini and summer squash fans...slice them about a 1/2" thick season with S&P and garlic powder, coat with a little olive oil, and grill until there are some decent marks on both sides.  Add some chopped herbs for some extra flavor.  It's a great summer side IMO.  

Another good zucchini recipe is to make zucchini pancakes.  Shred zucchini, nix with eggs and just enough corn starch or flour give it a pancake batter consistency, then pan fry in hot oil,  little hot sauce over it an its is  great meal.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Sometimes I mix sweet onion with the zucchini, great flavor complement.

Barna

1971snipe

Garden is out of control now, with climbing butter beans, Johnson grass, okra, leftover corn stalks, wandering grape Vines, stray blackberry canes, and some small unidentified vine with small purple blooms.  

The Muscadine grapes are beginning to rippen though, and I'm now in competition with racoons to see who picks the most.

IMG_20200720_170308787.jpg

1971snipe

My aforementioned runaway garden, with Lizzy in the middle of it checking things out.  

IMG_20200720_194743167.jpg

Swampy 16
11 hours ago, barna said:

Wife caught the back half of this raider yesterday. She was grazing on my cucumbers that are growing through the fence.  In broad daylight, absolutely no  fear.  I was given very strict instructions not to harm any deer on the property. :( 

IMG_20200720_163503.jpg

Try taking a bar of Irish Spring soap and potato peeler and go around your garden and peel chunks off. Go a little heavy. Everything hates the stuff and won’t really go near it, unless desperate maybe but it has worked well for me over the years. Rabbits and groundhogs seem to avoid it as well. 

1971snipe

Okra for frying, and figs ready for preserving and destined for biscuits.  My dad used to refer to okra as a perfect survival food, meaning it was tasty as well as healthy I presume.  

IMG_20200722_073501232.jpg

Cheesy

Partially picked one row of tomatoes last night...dang stink bugs screwed up a lot of them :(, but still enough to pick and choose which ones make it to the BLT table.

vyRkXAc.jpg

Picked another gallon of blackberries last night as well.  About a gallon left on the plants for the year.

Okra is blooming, gave my sister a 5 gallon bucket full of cucumbers for her to make pickles with, yellow squash is steady, plus a few zucchini here and there. 

Swampy 16

Other than fungicide does anyone have any advice for combating fungus on tomatoes? I have this issue every year even though I spray. I’ve got an incredible crop coming on this year but the fungus is showing up again and has me concerned. I used grass clippings as mulch this year and that made a big difference but I’m still getting it, just a bit later this year.

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, Swampy 16 said:

Other than fungicide does anyone have any advice for combating fungus on tomatoes? I have this issue every year even though I spray. I’ve got an incredible crop coming on this year but the fungus is showing up again and has me concerned. I used grass clippings as mulch this year and that made a big difference but I’m still getting it, just a bit later this year.

I always get blight as well, despite spraying etc. If not starting seedlings, some say it comes from the nursery where you bought seedlings. I don’t believe that since I’ve gotten plants from different sources and same thing. The problem is moisture and lack of airflow in plants clustered too close.  It’s happened to me with straw mulch, no mulch and currently black plastic mulch. This year I’ve made a concerted effort to prune all the stems and leaves a good 1/4 to 1/2 the length up the staked plants. And also have been pinching off all the suckers between stems to keep the mass of leaves to a minimum. That way there is plenty of airflow. It has helped. Even so I am seeing those brown and yellow scabs show up on the bottom leaves. I just keep pruning them. It doesn’t seem to adversely effect the actual tomato fruit growth. (I’ll try and add a photo of my Pruned tomato plants later.)

1971snipe

Celebrity tomatoes, they say prune the tops.  Others just prune suckers and non blooming limbs.  I've had much better results this year and last with both tomatoes and peppers grown in containers using potting soil and Cypress or cedar mulch, along with sevin dust as needed.   

Brad Eden

816295F4-6EB1-4630-9078-9075735B23DA.jpeg

As mentioned: tomato plants pruned low to allow air flow. Blight scabbing has been minimal so far, but jury is still out to a degree.

1971snipe
5 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

As mentioned: tomato plants pruned low to allow air flow. Blight scabbing has been minimal so far, but jury is still out to a degree.

What type tomatoes are those? 

Swampy 16
11 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I tried to go on a pruning mission last night but we had thunderstorms.

Brad Eden
8 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

What type tomatoes are those? 

A couple on far left are some type of Cherry, the rest are a mixture of Beef Steak variety and a mid size, I think Early Girl, but can’t remember.