Brad Eden

OFFICIAL 2020 Gardening Thread

1971snipe

Picking Muscadine grapes is like doing yoga in a sauna, with mosquitoes biting and snakes watching.  I hope it'll be worth it.  But next year I need to do something different with the trellis.  

It took 30-40 mins to get a gal or gal-and-a-half of grapes.  It'll take another hr to press as much juice as I can from them.  

IMG_20200729_191259089.jpg

quailguy
1 hour ago, 1971snipe said:

Picking Muscadine grapes is like doing yoga in a sauna, with mosquitoes biting and snakes watching.  I hope it'll be worth it.  But next year I need to do something different with the trellis.  

It took 30-40 mins to get a gal or gal-and-a-half of grapes.  It'll take another hr to press as much juice as I can from them.  

IMG_20200729_191259089.jpg

Press the juice out?  For grape juice ?   From Muscadine grapes???  

1971snipe
46 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Press the juice out?  For grape juice ?   From Muscadine grapes???  

Uh, yes.  You've never had Muscadine jelly?  

I've thought about making wine a few times, but never have been willing to spare the grapes.  You can buy a good wine, but good Muscadine jelly really is hard to find.  

quailguy
12 minutes ago, 1971snipe said:

Uh, yes.  You've never had Muscadine jelly?  

I've thought about making wine a few times, but never have been willing to spare the grapes.  You can buy a good wine, but good Muscadine jelly really is hard to find.  

One can buy a good muscadine wine??  Mumble, mumble.  Never had the jelly, the grapes were too bitter for me to stomach.  

1971snipe
10 minutes ago, quailguy said:

One can buy a good muscadine wine??  Mumble, mumble.  Never had the jelly, the grapes were too bitter for me to stomach.  

I've never tasted a bitter Muscadine in my life.  Btw, I was not referring to Muscadine wine per se.  It'd be as hard to find as the jelly.  But still, I'd prefer the jelly.  

1971snipe

First batch of jelly. 

IMG_20200801_103111517.jpg

BBlizzard18

Our raspberries are having a great year.  We made some raspberry jam last night.  I couldn't get myself to put the full amount of sugar in the Ball recipe...so I was wondering how they'd turn out, but they look good to me.  I got 16 pints of Dilly beans, and 12 pints of hamburger dills on the shelf too.  It's been a good year so far.   

IMG_1616.JPG

gwponr

My wild blackberries must not be in season as Im only getting a few at a time. My garden is what i miss most living on the new property and it will be a learning curve keeping the critters out. Squirrels, gophers, birds and whatever I haven't seen yet out of the garden.  Talk to my next door neighbor Chris from old house and we had a good laugh, seems the guy who bought my place completely demoed my back yard garden.  Chris said the guy told hime he was going to put in a garden now, Chris asked him do you realize what you tore out was 7 years of soil and planting work to make it as good as it was. ripped out the blood orange tree the fig tree is almost dead, All the blueberries are gone. was still producing squash chard broccoli cucumbers and other goodies. Seems my garden didn't look Yuppie enough for him. He needs a landscaper to put in prettier raised beds and store bought plants not all that heirloom stuff I had grown from seed.  If Ida known that I would have taken more stuff with me

Big Pine

It seems like a pretty good year for blackberries in my neck of the woods.  I've picked a couple quarts so far while walking the dogs, and am hoping for some more later this week.

This weekend we went to a local farm and picked an entirely unreasonable amount of blueberries.  I made ten pints of jam this afternoon, and froze almost twenty pounds of berries.  These big, juicy blueberries make me miss the wild ones up north and the huckleberries out west, but they're not too bad.

We'll probably start picking sweet corn in a week or two, and will have enough tomatoes to do some more canning.  

bmeador

Saturday's and then Sunday's picking in our little spot!

20200801_095428.jpg

bmeador

20200802_161254.jpg

Spiller

Even though I have had my homegrown lettuce for  about a month, I have not had any vine ripened red tomatoes ready until just recently.

I just have had the best salad of my life. At least it seems like it when you have to deal with store bought stuff during a Maine winter which is unbearably long.  

Everything was from my backyard: tomatoes, lettuce, onions, cucumbers, a few herbs, and some home canned pickled banana pepper rings from last year's garden.  

I just added some kalamata olives, some Ken's Russian dressing, and fresh cracked black pepper....heaven.....with a glass of chilled Chardonnay....

Clueless1

I had to give up this year.  We have had so little rain that while the tomato plants are kind of growing, there are only about 3 tomatoes on them.  That's over 10 plants.  We got some peppers, that's about it.  Very hard to get water to. 

Grass is dead, haven't had to mow in well over a month.  Lost 8 white pine seedlings that were making out just fine over the 3 years since I planted them.  Rough year.  Rain goes north and south from us, but never actually hit us until yesterday. 

BBlizzard18

8 pints of dill relish today, great option for the cukes that are a little too big for pickles IMO.  I planted some mustard greens, brassica green mix, and pac choy today to have for fall greens

.  255A0C26-801E-460F-871E-360AC6BD7772.thumb.jpeg.234249183d605be97e54fd78a4b88ba1.jpeg
The pup is on garden patrol, currently looking for chipmunks. He cornered a woodchuck a couple weeks ago, he didn’t go after it really, but wouldn’t let it move either.

AAB28746-C3F5-4C5E-9FE9-95AAC48E6170.thumb.png.8469e6c517b2334c04238c34a98f3fd0.png

Treerooster

Pulled the zucchini, 2 large plants. Had an invasion of stink bugs starting and I didn't want it to get out of hand. Not a big deal as I was done making my zucchini bread (60 loaves) and have plenty of zukes in the fridge for a while. Get tired of eating it anyways. Seems like I got the stink bugs too...so far. 

Done with cabbage too. Made some slaw and had corned venison and cabbage several times. Broccoli is winding down and will be pulled and in the compost pile soon.