OFFICIAL 2020 Gardening Thread

1971snipe

I planted my 4 15-ft rows of field corn for the 3rd time this week.  If it still don't come up then I'll till it all up and plant speckled butter beans I'm thinking.  

Been picking blackberries every day for Abt 3 weeks.  

I've sprayed the grape Vines every week but still battling skeleton worms.  Bees have been really working the grape blooms hard though.  

Pear trees have a total of two pears.  I plan to draw lots and cut down one of them.  

Tomatoes and peppers all have small fruit now.  I'm watering and have my fingers crossed.  

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• 1971snipe

• Cheesy

• BBlizzard18

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked the first tomato last week, have picked a couple dozen since then.  Had he first BLT last tight, actually a BLTOPCM.   Picked enough blackberries for a pie Saturday.  Probably en

This morning's harvest and the tomatoes ( Early Girl/Celebrity here) are coming in :   .   Ruger 1

Yesterday was a good picking day.   Got a bunch of cayennes, dehydrated for powder.      That small batch of jalapeños (or japalenos as my 7 year old calls them) was turned int

Posted Images

bigjohnsd

We are zone 3/4 we typically will have a freeze or two in the first half of May.

We typically don't plant tomatoes until Memorial Day.

SWMBO's raised beds and Whiskey barrels are complete and ready for action.

My part is done until it is time to eat!

Cheesy

Madden getting some tiller work in-

R6bayye.jpg

AK getting the watering in on her freshly planted peppers and tomatoes.  Notice the curve where she is watering.  She kinda missed the point of the stringline to keep the row straight.  Free labor.....

o8KagID.jpg

Would like to get my yellow squash, zuchini, okra, watermelon, and cantaloupe planted, but it keeps raining just enough to keep us out of the mud.

Pleasant Ridge

I have two of my raised beds ready to go, with onions growing well.. I am glad I haven't went forward with anymore plantings.. We have already had 1 freeze this week, have a forecast for snow and 2 more freezes coming this weekend after being 80 last weekend.. Ahhhh, springtime in the Southern Appalachians!!!!

1971snipe
On 5/6/2020 at 9:43 PM, 1971snipe said:

I planted my 4 15-ft rows of field corn for the 3rd time this week.  If it still don't come up then I'll till it all up and plant speckled butter beans I'm thinking.  

Been picking blackberries every day for Abt 3 weeks.  

I've sprayed the grape Vines every week but still battling skeleton worms.  Bees have been really working the grape blooms hard though.  

Pear trees have a total of two pears.  I plan to draw lots and cut down one of them.  

Tomatoes and peppers all have small fruit now.  I'm watering and have my fingers crossed.  

Planted butter beans this weekend. 

gaberdeen

Another frost predicted for tonight. Warm weather veggies might not go in until June!

Brad Eden

I’m on the cusp of planting some broccoli and cauliflower seedlings using black plastic. The other stuff I’ve planted from seed and sets etc haven’t come up yet, as planned. I’ll wait another week or two to sow all the greens/lettuce types, green and yellow beans, and corn. Those won’t pop up until after Memorial Day and hopefully no late frosts. At that point I’ll go hog wild with all the other warmth seeking seedlings like to tomato’s, c ukes squash, peppers etc.

Clueless1

Lots of people around me lost plants this weekend.  The virus had a lot of people antsy to 'do stuff' and planted early for our area.  Fortunately I held out.

1971snipe

Why do good quality 100' water hoses cost almost $100?  (I probably know why, but still, for some reason it pains me to pay so much for a yard hose.) 

Cheesy
44 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

Lots of people around me lost plants this weekend.  The virus had a lot of people antsy to 'do stuff' and planted early for our area.  Fortunately I held out.

grandpa always said “it’s never too early to plant your corn the first time”.

Marc Ret

Extended forecast looks like temps won't be requiring the need to bring my containers in any longer so it was time to put the finishing touches on the pea stand. Looking forward to some fresh sugar peas (and lettuce). 

image.jpeg

bmeador

We got down to 28 degrees here in Southside VA Sunday morning. We had taken tarps, portable table, a jonboat, a canoe and  2-piece dog house before dark to cover plants. We took all 12 tomatoes in buckets and put them on the carpot.  ALL survived!!!!

bmeador

We got our first cutting of broccoli yesterday. 

20200514_120910.jpg

fishvik
On 5/1/2020 at 5:18 AM, Brad Eden said:

I trench potato’s so they won’t likely pop above surface until the end of frost season.

Funny, those of us that live in states known for growing potatoes commercially still insist on growing them in our personal gardens. It would be a lot easier to just pick up the ones along the road during harvest. Or in my case the ones that I dodge falling off the truck while riding my bike during harvest.

Chukarman

I don't have a 'garden', but started an apricot orchard planting bare root trees this past February. They are flourishing. And, while it's not 'gardening' today) I bought three lbs. of seeds... 1 lb. of Arizona Poppy (Kallistromia Grandifora), 1 lb. of Common Sunflower (Helianthus Annus), and 1 lb. of assorted Arizona wildflower seed. These will be broadcast on my ground just before summer rains and left to fend for themselves. This seed consists of 24 varieties of forbs native to SE Arizona, including Lemon Beebalm, Penstemon, Coreopsis, Desert Marigold, and others. This is enough seed to cover about 10,000 to 12,000 square feet of ground and will augment the existing plants. No gardening involved.

I have been pruning dead limbs, rooting out old fence posts, etc. I plan to start planting black, blue and Emory oaks this summer. Brush hogging the catsclaw is also high on the list. Between that and working on my remodel, I have enough to do.

The soil here is mostly alkali caliche, but If I can find time I will make some raised beds (tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers,squash, and herbs) and do some roses in large containers.