OFFICIAL 2020 Gardening Thread

Mike da Carpenter
1 hour ago, Swampy 16 said:

I tried to go on a pruning mission last night but we had thunderstorms.

When I got home from work yesterday I decided to prune my tomatoes.  Should have taken a before and after picture.  I had so many suckers that it just looked like a giant Bush with a couple tomatoes.  Now there are tons of tomatoes visible and it makes the garden (As small as it is) look overall healthier. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• 1971snipe

• Cheesy

• BBlizzard18

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked the first tomato last week, have picked a couple dozen since then.  Had he first BLT last tight, actually a BLTOPCM.   Picked enough blackberries for a pie Saturday.  Probably en

This morning's harvest and the tomatoes ( Early Girl/Celebrity here) are coming in :   .   Ruger 1

Yesterday was a good picking day.   Got a bunch of cayennes, dehydrated for powder.      That small batch of jalapeños (or japalenos as my 7 year old calls them) was turned int

Posted Images

Swampy 16
1 hour ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

When I got home from work yesterday I decided to prune my tomatoes.  Should have taken a before and after picture.  I had so many suckers that it just looked like a giant Bush with a couple tomatoes.  Now there are tons of tomatoes visible and it makes the garden (As small as it is) look overall healthier. 

Be careful with pruning. Your fruit can actually get sunburn. Ask me how I know this. That’s why I haven’t pruned much. I literally got “burned” one year by pruning too much.

Mike da Carpenter
2 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

Be careful with pruning. Your fruit can actually get sunburn. Ask me how I know this. That’s why I haven’t pruned much. I literally got “burned” one year by pruning too much.

I’m sure that is going to be a HUGE possibility now.  So much for me living off the land this year.  

Brad Eden

Never really had sun burned tomatoes, but if the blight is egregious enough it will scab up and ruin the “fruit”. That sorta looks like sunburn I guess. In my previous photo, the tomato’s are pretty much shielded by what leaves are left.

Now that I'm retired, my garden is doing better than it's ever done, with the increased care I'm able to give! I have a small patch of raspberries that are about finished producing and have picked a couple of gallons. Blueberries are ripening up nicely and have picked probably about a gallon of those. Picked my first 2 cucumbers and 4 zucchinis. I trellised the tomatoes this year and two of the bushes are about as tall as I am with a mix of small and larger ones on the vines. I pruned them a few weeks ago and they went wild afterwards! They probably won't be ripe for another 2-3 weeks, with the Brandywines ripening up a bit later. The poblano peppers are starting to show some small peppers and my Walla Walla sweet onions are the biggest I've ever had. 

I usually plant Dutch flat cabbage and have 6 heads that are doing very nicely with one being about 14-16" inches across. The other cabbage plants are coming along nicely as well, I usually don't harvest those until later, at which time, they'll be turned into sauerkraut. I planted another garden at my mom's place and she lives about 55 miles away.  I'm not able to provide the care the garden needs, but being down there yesterday, it's coming along. I made the comment to my mom that the weeds are growling faster than the plants. I have some of the same stuff planted at her place, but in addition, I have a couple of hills of pumpkins and winter squash. 

SelbyLowndes

We did our six pot back porch tomato garden from seed this Summer.  Two cherries and four Brandywines.  I don't know what went wrong, but everything was scraggly from the start and now mostly looks dead.  We got lots of cherry tomatoes but only three Brandywines and one of those split.  

The farmer's market tomatoes have been pretty good this year and my wife had declared she was through with planting tomatoes.  Then, last week the two "good" Brandywines got ripe and we had tomato sandwiches for supper one night and we remembered all over again why we keep the tomato garden.  Fantastic home grown taste that made our store boughts seem like juicy cardboard.

Anyhow, instead of pulling up and quitting I went out yesterday morning and pruned the deadwood off the plants and gave them a good watering.  Perhaps we'll get a good second crop off the new growth I expect.  Some years we get tomatoes right up through December down here.  Wish me luck!...SelbyLowndes  

I usually amend my garden each year with either composted chicken or steer manure and have not put any fertilizer down, except some Miracle Grow...very sporadically, in the past! This year as somewhat of an experiment, I amended with composted steer manure a week or more before planting, as usual, and have followed the directions with the Miracle Grow and added to my plants every 10-12 days or so. As I indicated in a previous post, my garden is doing better than it ever has. I have 7 plastic gallon jugs I fill with water and leave out in the hot summer sun to warm and then mix the Miracle Grow granules into the jugs, shake well and add to the plants.

Selby, perhaps some Miracle Grow may help your tomatoes....worth a try, I suppose.

This morning's harvest and the tomatoes ( Early Girl/Celebrity here) are coming in :

50148139332_4f11112c2f_k.jpg.

Ruger 1

Spiller

First time trying my own garlic this year. I planted it last fall with some seed garlic from Johnny's, I harvested the scapes 30 days ago and this morning I just harvested 50 bulbs and they are hanging in the eaves of the garage. They look good but I now need to cure them for a couple of weeks. Tomatoes, at least the Early Girls are starting to start to turn from green to orange, the Brandywines will be later. Already have been harvesting eggplant and zucchini.  About two weeks ago a deer found me, and the peppers have been nibbled pretty hard by the deer and so have the tomatoes but the tomatoes were already such big plants the browsing I'm so not worried about, but I don't like finding half eaten green tomatoes on the ground.  I think the peppers will be okay but behind. Cucumbers are huge plants with lots of flowers but no fruit yet. Strawberries are past, but black raspberries and blueberries are coming in thick.  I'm pretty sure that garlic will now join in the seasonal rotation. At 12 bucks a pound it is a good plant for the garden. 

Wife and her granny canned 25 quarts of whole tomatoes earlier this week. My sister got 2/3 of a 5 gallon bucket of cucumbers from me and she’s been making pickles. 

Got busy and hadn’t picked garden for a few days. Cukes and squash got too big...

Xirg1A9.jpg

I only plant sweet corn and swap it to the neighbors. My perennials are strawberries, raspberries, asparagus, and rhubarb. Virtually no weeding as I use a 5 bar drag section on the corn when it just emerges.

bmeador

We've been doing pretty good. On this plate are catfish and crappies Tina and I caught, our crowder peas, cherry Tom's, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash and Tina had cucumbers. The onion in the veggies is the only thing we didn't catch or grow!!!

20200724_185349.jpg

bmeador

We picked on Sunday and got 2 pints of bush beans, a zucchini, a yellow  squash and a bunch of cherry tomatoes and 3 Better Boys. Our garden is 30' x 15' and does really good. This was this afternoon. 

20200729_180044.jpg

Brad Eden

Wax beans picked, green beans now in, tomato’s just starting to turn, and they get red quicker on the kitchen counter. Cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash steady. Greens/lettuce sorta bolting but top leaves not bitter. Spinach and kale already gone by and what’s left is in compost. Will plant a second fall crop of that. Potato stems and leaf tops falling over and browning up. Could probably dig up potato’s now. Broccoli and cauliflower long gone. Onions could be pulled. Unreal how short a growing season we have up here. Only thing pending is corn and pumpkins. Summer has peaked in mid Maine and we are on the precipice of the topple towards fall.

Treerooster

Asparagus has been done for months. Got a bunch froze. Grilling some with venison steaks tonight.

Spinach was done a while ago. 1 1/2 gallons of pesto made and froze into serving size.

Peas are pulled and in the compost. 12 pints froze.

Carrots are all but done. 10 pints froze with just a few left in the ground and a few in the fridge.

Lettuce is gone. Got a few plants still growing I hope to get seeds from.

Green beans are just coming on. I freeze a few pints but can a lot. Maybe can 40 pints. I supplement my dog's food with some green beans.

Cucumbers are providing fresh food now.

Zucchini has been producing for a few weeks. Made 40 loaves of Zuke bread already and will make 20 or 30 more. It freezes well. 🙂

Onions are forming bulbs now. Still eating last years onions. This year's will be dried outside once they fall over. I can start using some of this years onions in a week or two.

No ripe tomatoes yet but they are coming, about tennis ball size now. Along with some watermelons that are as big as a 16" softball.

Raspberries were cut to the ground last winter and will all come on in September. I'll make some jam and freeze up some pints for raspberry pancakes.