REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Setter58

Hunting Rig- SUV vs Truck?

Zkight89

Can't take the obligatory "tailgate pic" without a truck. And I don't know where I'd clean fish, work on stuff or sit down for lunch without a tailgate ....

KIMG1160.jpg

UplandHntr
2 hours ago, Two Barrels said:

When your dog gets sprayed by a skunk you will really appreciate having a truck with the dog box in the bed.

Been there. Drove 10 hrs home from SD with a car air freshener hanging from the brim of my ball cap. 
what else ya got?🤪

dogrunner
1 hour ago, Up North said:

Truck with topper. You can put four kennels in back, and yes you will one day find a skunk!

Plus the Ticks stay out of the cab. 

Starsky

Having had both, I much prefer a truck over an SUV.  And as far as trucks go, I can't stand having a cap on the truck.  Had a snug-top canopy on my Tundra and that thing was the biggest waste of money I ever spent.

Alaskan Swamp Collie

The last 2 fall hunting seasons I have taken a 6 week plus hunting trip from Alaska to the plains with a sububan. Had a hotdog style car top carrier on the roof. Had 5 Goldens this last year including a 3 month old pup and a 14 year old geriatric. We did fine, 2 400 crates side by side in the back and a 300 for the pup on the middle seat. Rear seat goes out and a waterproof tarp/blanket liner goes down on the rear cargo area. Area will take a big bag of decoys and waders no problem. Stuff I don't need daily(like skunk kit and extra dog food) goes up above. Could probably put a moose in the back if necessary, but wife would throw a fit. How often are you going to need to haul a deer?  For bird hunting the suburban is fine, if I had a dead moose or caribou probably not so much. 

Ruger1

My last (thank God) pickup was a 1972 Chevy. Since then 4 IH Scout II's, one Ford Bronco II, 4 Ford Explorers and 4 Ford Escapes - so you know where I stand on this.

My latest mini-GT40 ( a birthday present unwrapped on Monday 😀)

-

49842692937_21d09fa57e_k.jpg

49842776122_6b378b1621_k.jpg

Well maybe not quite a GT40 but the same turbocharger -

49841874968_99d6931522_k.jpg

Ruger 1

4WD ? - Yes it's nice but even with 4WD I've learned the hard way that oftentimes it's better to spend an extra 10 - 15 walking in than 3 hours digging out.

Lurch

done both, mostly trucks, which I prefer. Every time my wife makes noise about selling the truck and getting an SUV, she invariably has a project (hauling much, tree limbs, refrgerators, manure, stinky childred, etc) within a week of her comment, and I say "you want this in the back of your car? change your mind about a truck?" and that ends the debate for a month or two.

I will say that, since getting the 2018 F150 Limited, we've been keeping miles off (Pre-Covid) by her diriving it (3 mile commute) vs me (60 mile commute) most days. It's getting harder and harder for her to relinquish the keys to it, so pretty soon it may be me saying "Do you really need a truck?"

canvasback

I’ll take an SUV every day. 

in fact I have. 

2 Nissan Pathfinders 

1 Jeep Grand Cherokee 

1 Land Rover LR3

quailguy

Since I have nothing else to do, still locked up in house arrest here in PA, I thought I would relate one tale  illustrating the benefits of using a pickup over an SUV for bird hunting. 
Here is a photo of my long time bird hunting pal and his EP, Buster “the Adventure Dog”. I myself used several other more picaresque names for Buster.

This being a family friendly place I will not mention those other “names”.

DSC00243

Now Buster had a famous lineage, a grandson of Miller’s Silver Bullet, Ferrel Millers famous barn burner of a dog.  
Buster was near impossible to train; he just ignored commands he did not care for. Put an e collar on him and he would run the other way until it didn’t work. Once we found him on another ranch, under some guys pickup, miles away and just by chance. He was the worst self hunter I ever saw. If you could keep up with him, that was fine. If you could not keep up, that was fine too. 
once he took off, refused to come back, ecollar, whistle, calling were of absolutely no concern.  We climbed up on a pick truck bed to see further and caught a glimpse of a tiny white dot, about half a mile away, hunting his heart out. Normally he got away because he had zero interest in retrieving, so while we were using one of my GSPs to find the bird, he would take off. 

The damn dog would fight any creature which was not a bird. Coons, those rats you find out West, cats, possums, anything. So one day we are hunting through one of our better fields and Buster was really excited. Barking, running around like a fool, paying zero attention to birds. 

Sterling City lease

Nice grass and an abundance of scrawny little mesquite trees, well shrubs I suppose. Not enough rain to become trees. Well, anyway, we see Buster point at the bottom of a mesquite Bush with lots of scrubby brush around it. I took Guss, my really excellent GSP, and he zoomed right on by the dog on point so I figured it was another false point. Buster was the king of false points.  Guss and I get about 25-30 yards past Buster and I hear “ oh my God!!” 
As I turn around to see what’s up, I see a skunk, about 20-25 feet in the air, doing 360s up in the blue Texas sky. 
Well, that skunk hit the ground and Buster was all over it. That skunk was spraying Buster for all he was worth and Buster, with his eyes scrunched closed, was biting that skunk for all he was worth.  
Lord, what a mess. Guss and I went up wind and and watched Tex get the situation under control. Sort of.  The dog finally killed the skunk and OmG, did he smell. You could smell that stupid dog 100 yards away.

Being the pal I am I refused to load that damn dog up in my kennels so Tex got his pickup and loaded that dog up in a kennel in the bed. I had the formula for de-stinking a skunked dog and so we drove for an hour to a Wall Mart to get the dish soap, hydrogen peroxide, etc. We got a bag of rubber gloves and large sponges, drove back to the cabin and scrubbed that dog down for 20-30 minutes and got him de-stinked. But man the kennel he rode in smelled awful for at least a year. We had to throw Busters collar away, it proved impossible to get the smell out. 

And that why, to this day, the both of us drive pickups.  

Don Steese

I've done both and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Right now I have a truck with a cap. In some ways a pain, in others darn handy. Skunk or no skunk, wet dogs, dogs that have rolled in cow crap, or just dirty dogs start to smell fairly rank after a while. If you have an SUV, it'll probably fail the sniff test at some point. (If your lady is doing the testing it'll be sooner rather than later). 

UplandHntr
27 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Since I have nothing else to do, still locked up in house arrest here in PA, I thought I would relate one tale  illustrating the benefits of using a pickup over an SUV for bird hunting. 
Here is a photo of my long time bird hunting pal and his EP, Buster “the Adventure Dog”. I myself used several other more picaresque names for Buster.

This being a family friendly place I will not mention those other “names”.

DSC00243

Now Buster had a famous lineage, a grandson of Miller’s Silver Bullet, Ferrel Millers famous barn burner of a dog.  
Buster was near impossible to train; he just ignored commands he did not care for. Put an e collar on him and he would run the other way until it didn’t work. Once we found him on another ranch, under some guys pickup, miles away and just by chance. He was the worst self hunter I ever saw. If you could keep up with him, that was fine. If you could not keep up, that was fine too. 
once he took off, refused to come back, ecollar, whistle, calling were of absolutely no concern.  We climbed up on a pick truck bed to see further and caught a glimpse of a tiny white dot, about half a mile away, hunting his heart out. Normally he got away because he had zero interest in retrieving, so while we were using one of my GSPs to find the bird, he would take off. 

The damn dog would fight any creature which was not a bird. Coons, those rats you find out West, cats, possums, anything. So one day we are hunting through one of our better fields and Buster was really excited. Barking, running around like a fool, paying zero attention to birds. 

Sterling City lease

Nice grass and an abundance of scrawny little mesquite trees, well shrubs I suppose. Not enough rain to become trees. Well, anyway, we see Buster point at the bottom of a mesquite Bush with lots of scrubby brush around it. I took Guss, my really excellent GSP, and he zoomed right on by the dog on point so I figured it was another false point. Buster was the king of false points.  Guss and I get about 25-30 yards past Buster and I hear “ oh my God!!” 
As I turn around to see what’s up, I see a skunk, about 20-25 feet in the air, doing 360s up in the blue Texas sky. 
Well, that skunk hit the ground and Buster was all over it. That skunk was spraying Buster for all he was worth and Buster, with his eyes scrunched closed, was biting that skunk for all he was worth.  
Lord, what a mess. Guss and I went up wind and and watched Tex get the situation under control. Sort of.  The dog finally killed the skunk and OmG, did he smell. You could smell that stupid dog 100 yards away.

Being the pal I am I refused to load that damn dog up in my kennels so Tex got his pickup and loaded that dog up in a kennel in the bed. I had the formula for de-stinking a skunked dog and so we drove for an hour to a Wall Mart to get the dish soap, hydrogen peroxide, etc. We got a bag of rubber gloves and large sponges, drove back to the cabin and scrubbed that dog down for 20-30 minutes and got him de-stinked. But man the kennel he rode in smelled awful for at least a year. We had to throw Busters collar away, it proved impossible to get the smell out. 

And that why, to this day, the both of us drive pickups.  

Yeah Im not sure about everything you wrote, all I see is a pile of birds in the picture so ol Buster will get a pass on everything else from me!! 🤪🤪

quailguy
Posted (edited)

Sterling City lease

There was one helluva pile of quail on that lease, especially if the ranch got decent rain. Here is a photo of a two man bag from one day. Not u usual at all. I killed 15 birds there several times. 

Edited by quailguy
Typo

GLS

I've had both, granted it's easier to use a truck like an SUV rather than the reverse, but since we don't have skunks, I prefer an SUV.  My two Britts do fine in a crate in the back and they smell no worse than I do on any given day.  Currently have a 2003 Sequoia and a 2016 4Runner.  Gil

canvasback

One of my setters, egged on by the other, smarter dog, had a set to with a skunk. Got it so bad the skunk juice was dribbling down her face and ears. Had to bring her home, thank God just 10 minutes, in one of my Pathfinders. The smell was so bad it burned my nose so I couldn’t smell properly for a week. 

The good part of the story is that with my nose being so  fried, didn’t really matter what the inside of the SUV smelled like. My wife didn’t get in the vehicle for a month. 

Windrider

Had a:

Ford Ranger (2wd is bad, but young and broke at the time)

3/4 ton Diesel Dodge (front end sank to the frame once while parked in a field, once while launching the duck boat)

Subaru Forester

Jeep Cherokee on 33s (my favorite)

Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited

Nissan Xterra on 33s (4.5 stars, stock rear suspension is a bit soft)

Jeep JK Unlimited (The seats don’t fold flat...major drawback. I like the dog to load through the back doors and ride sideways in case of a wreck)

I’m voting with Willam Harnden Foster on this one.  SUV/Station Wagon (with traction) for me.