REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Setter58

Hunting Rig- SUV vs Truck?

terrym

I like travelling with my dogs inside the cab in crates for both warmth and air conditioning. Only been skunked once and that was in our own back yard. 

Ruger1
1 hour ago, terrym said:

I like travelling with my dogs inside the cab in crates for both warmth and air conditioning. Only been skunked once and that was in our own back yard. 

I couldn't agree with you more. My GSPs, ( and one GWP) over the decades, like I suspect your bird dogs have been my buddies, my pals and the ones who have given me more pleasure than any other part of the bird hunting experience. To put them in the back of a pickup and then query bird hunting forums: What's the best way to keep them warm, what's the best way to keep them cool, what's the best way to keep air-borne dust and debris away from them etc. ,  is beyond me. The best way is to keep them is in the "cabin" of your vehicle and grant them much of the same consideration you grant yourself when it comes to comfort.

Again, I've been chasing birds around both of Michigan's peninsulas, the upper-midwest from Ohio to the Dakotas and two countries for decades. The most important thing I've learned in over 60 years of doing this is that it's not about the birds, it's not about the shotgun, it's not about the best upland pants,  the latest upland vest or what your hunting buddy wants,  all of which are, believe me ,  ephemeral   - it should be all about your bird dog. Cherish them  - your birds dogs are neither tools nor gear and worthy of much more than one's  secondary considerations. 

Ruger 1

blanked

For multi day hunts, bringing camping gear a truck with a topper hands down.  One day outing a suv

terrym
59 minutes ago, Ruger1 said:

I couldn't agree with you more. My GSPs, ( and one GWP) over the decades, like I suspect your bird dogs have been my buddies, my pals and the ones who have given me more pleasure than any other part of the bird hunting experience. To put them in the back of a pickup and then query bird hunting forums: What's the best way to keep them warm, what's the best way to keep them cool, what's the best way to keep air-borne dust and debris away from them etc. ,  is beyond me. The best way is to keep them is in the "cabin" of your vehicle and grant them much of the same consideration you grant yourself when it comes to comfort.

Again, I've been chasing birds around both of Michigan's peninsulas, the upper-midwest from Ohio to the Dakotas and two countries for decades. The most important thing I've learned in over 60 years of doing this is that it's not about the birds, it's not about the shotgun, it's not about the best upland pants,  the latest upland vest or what your hunting buddy wants,  all of which are, believe me ,  ephemeral   - it should be all about your bird dog. Cherish them  - your birds dogs are neither tools nor gear and worthy of much more than one's  secondary considerations. 

Ruger 1

My Setter sleeps on the bed with me and my Britt sleeps right beside it on the floor, his choice.  When travelling those two share whatever I’m eating. The Britt particularly likes cheese curds. Yeah, they get to ride inside the truck like the rest of my family does....lol. 

Ruger1
1 hour ago, terrym said:

My Setter sleeps on the bed with me and my Britt sleeps right beside it on the floor, his choice.  When travelling those two share whatever I’m eating. The Britt particularly likes cheese curds. Yeah, they get to ride inside the truck like the rest of my family does....lol. 

Good for you. One of my most memorable bird hunting/non-bird hunting memories was camping solo - no other campers in miles - at a Michigan State Forest Campground on the north shore of Lake Michigan in late October. I pitched my dome tent after dark and the wind was blowing so hard I had soft ball size rocks on the outside edges of the tent lest the wind pull out the tent stakes. Settling in I was reading Thomas Harris's "Red Dragon"  - the forerunner  to "Silence of the Lambs", Hannibal Lecter and all that -  by a flashlight over my shoulder. I had my GSPs close to me,  as in really close to me - Hawkeye on my left  and Maggie on my right and on my chest was my Ruger .357 Security Six revolver. Things were certainly a bit unnerving but comforting with the bird dogs there - to say the least.

Obviously not a specific "bird hunting" anecdote but a memorable "bird dog" anecdote nonetheless.  There is much to owning a bird dog that transcends actual bird hunting,  the starting and unfortunately often much to soon  ending of a true sharing and memorable partnership with a capital "P". 

Ruger 1

Setter58

Thank you all!  This is a great thread and lots to think about.

Greg Hartman
On 5/2/2020 at 8:29 AM, grouse28 said:

Man Cards are lost by wearing ear rings, man buns, man bags and other items items created for the feminization of the American male.

What about pink watches???

Greg Hartman

I've had 'em all over the years, from full-sized and compact pick-ups to small and large SUV's.  Have had good service from them all (except an early Jeep Grand Cherokee, which was a piece of crap).

They each have plusses and minuses - it isn't a one-size fits all deal.

Most recently I've run a Jeep Liberty.  It was easy to tow behind the MH.  It could carry two hunters, four dogs (on the back seat) and enough stuff for a day afield with two guys, but it was more comfortable with just one hunter and two dogs.  It was surprisingly competent off-road (which is a big requirement for me).  You couldn't tow much with it.  Gas mileage, ride and build quality were all horrible and eventually it was costing me the price of an equivalent vehicle per year to keep it on the road.  That said, it served me well for a long time and it was inexpensive to buy.

5-23-19 - Beach camp

Current vehicle is a 2019 Ford Ranger with a cap and every bell and whistle you can get.  I've always liked trucks better than SUV's just because - no explicable reason.  This one is perfect for what I do now. Very nice for regular everyday use - not too big, but plenty big enough, comfortable and I really like all the gadgetry, such as the back-up camera system, radars and sound system.  It tows easily behind the MH with very easy set-up for flat towing; and I can tow up to about 7,800 pounds with it (I often tow the little sailboat).  Its off-road capabilities are truly amazing, with effective settings for different types of terrain.  I get 20 MPG easy.  Living back in the sticks, its ability to tow and to haul dirty, heavy stuff in the bed is very handy.  I like it MUCH better than the Jeep, but the purchase price (for someone who had not bought a new vehicle in many years) was jaw-dropping.

4-12-20 - Easter Sailing - getting ready - 2

Different strokes....

fourtrax57
On 5/2/2020 at 9:14 AM, Zkight89 said:

Can't take the obligatory "tailgate pic" without a truck. And I don't know where I'd clean fish, work on stuff or sit down for lunch without a tailgate ....

KIMG1160.jpg

My 99 Burb had the tailgate. Was handy as heck.

Zkight89
42 minutes ago, fourtrax57 said:

My 99 Burb had the tailgate. Was handy as heck.

Then it meets the 1st requirement of my potential vehicle checklist! 

Marc Ret
1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

It's Orange.😉😉

grouse28
1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

I knew that would come up!
OK, yes pink watches and Crocs.

IT’S ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!🤬

Peent

SUV rigs are out of the question for me. 

E5EB9177-B078-49FC-804E-285CB22B3ED8.jpeg

A38E519D-C546-4768-97B0-CA3344902C68.jpeg

bigdog MN

I have not read all the replies but will add my 2 cents.

Have a 1998 ext cab 4x4 Chevy 3/4 pickup and a Tahoe, so best of both worlds. Used to only have pick-ups. Need the 8' bed to haul duck boat and the seemingly endless landscape mulch, rock, etc.

A buddy had a Ford bronco and a trailer. Trailer solved the landscape stuff hauling but not duck boat, so I stayed with pickups.

What a joy it was when I got the my first used full size Chevy Blazer about 1995. The dogs were now warmed and air conditioned. Since then I have kept the pickup in the garage for hauling and duck hunting, but the daily driver and bird rig is a Tahoe. After the Blazer there was a 10 yr period when I was SUV-less, and drove a Pontiac Grand Prix for bird hunting, actually was a rather nice car for hunting.  Skunking would be an issue in a SUV, I pack 'Skunk Off' just in case. The only skunking I have been involved with was with the pickup, luckily had a buddy to drive so me and dog (both skunky) rode in bed. Unless you run across a ton of skunks, I would not worry too much about stink in the truck.

Just bought another used Tahoe to replace my 2004. Debated going to a 4-door P/U but getting more than one kennel in the back seat was tough and since I already have a P/U in garage, Tahoe it was. After having the dogs inside with heat and A/C, I don't see a reason to put them in a P/U bed.

I saw the reply about backing boats. I do trailer the boat with P/U as it's easier to see trailer when without boat. However, when I have used the Tahoe I just opened the rear door.  If you got a fancier model they probably have a back up camera, problem solved.

UplandHntr
24 minutes ago, Peent said:

SUV rigs are out of the question for me. 

E5EB9177-B078-49FC-804E-285CB22B3ED8.jpeg

A38E519D-C546-4768-97B0-CA3344902C68.jpeg

I have the exact same set up in my Suburban without the drop down gate in the way.