REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Setter58

Hunting Rig- SUV vs Truck?

Jacksdad

does anyone leave the ruff land kennel in the pickup bed with one of those mud river covers?  thinking it'd be a lot cheaper than a cap for me but can't imagine the cover would last long in the elements.  i guess you'd take the crate out when not in use?  

Wet Dog
18 hours ago, Jacksdad said:

are we talking X terras?  i believe that issue was pre 2010.  

Yes, Xterra 

jeff88

Here's a twist - I'm an SUV guy but would  prefer to be a pick-up truck guy.  While I do not need a PU for the kind of hunting I currently do, I would love to have a need for one.  That simply means I'd be doing more hunting in much more challenging terrain than I do these days.  It would also mean I'm hunting more diverse game, perhaps adding hogs and deer into the mix.  Trucks are much better for hauling larger game.  They are also better with tougher terrain than most SUVs, even truck-based ones like the 4-Runner.  They are better at towing too.  SUVs are superior over the road but that is about it.  

A friend of my family who passed on used to live in WY.  He needed a truck as he hauled a four-horse trailer to the end of a rocky road.  He used the horses to get into country for elk, rams, goats and mulies.  This was all on his property.  That truck had to ford small steams to get to the high country.  While I never got to hunt with him, one of my brother's did.  He came back to PA with antelope, elk and deer meat.  This guy also bird hunted on his land and nearby areas.  He was a fly fisherman too.  For all he did to hunt, fish and run a ranch there is no way an SUV could have beaten out a PU truck.  This guy had a real "PU Truck" lifestyle.  He also had a condo in CO at Steamboat for skiing.  He and his wife along with their kids loved to ride, he had a son who hunted with him when my brother drove there from Pgh.  

E.Young

Well, personally I closed this loop and bought a 2003 Yukon. Super solid, tons and tons of maintenance with records, 160k, little rust, brand new tires, owned by a guy who clearly meticulously maintains his home, his yard, and several other cars.

Interior needs a really good cleaning, but given within the last 3k it got all new belts and hoses, water pump, plugs, tires, brake lines and pads, transmission, f/r diff and tc service, all for $3,600... I ain't complaining.

max2
On 5/30/2020 at 10:18 PM, Jacksdad said:

does anyone leave the ruff land kennel in the pickup bed with one of those mud river covers?  thinking it'd be a lot cheaper than a cap for me but can't imagine the cover would last long in the elements.  i guess you'd take the crate out when not in use?  

This is how I would do it. It works.  Keep's muddy,stinky ,tick infested flea bag out of the cab😁 When were not splitt'n a bag of cheeze-its up front.  On a serious note when hunting the kennel with Mud river cover is always in the bed of truck when hunting. Pooch doesn't always ride in it though. But it is handy and easily loaded & removed.

Jacksdad

Thanks Max.  

OldColonel

Over the years my hunting rigs have gone from ‘64 CJ5, 76 Jimmy, 90 Cherokee, 94 Suburban, 98 Suburban, 06 Tahoe.  From the first suburban on I have had a homemade gun drawer of some sort in every truck.  

i have never used a pick up as my hunting rig, though I did own a ranger extended cab for a decade.

Talon1

I've had two SUVS, and now have a Ford F-150. I have an ARE truck topper, and I built my own bed platform. I covered it in an indoor/outdoor carpet, with removeable panels at the wheel wells.  I opted to not build drawers for the platform, and left the space open underneath. I use masonry tubs for storage. That way I can change things out depending on what I am doing. I can get three of the medium Dakota 283 kennels with them turned sideways. I am considering getting one of the Yakima boxes to go on the top of my topper,  to make more room in the back for camping trips, etc. Amazing how even a truck can run out of room when you have 2-3 people, gear, and dogs, etc.

I like the truck much better. More room, more versatility. Most important, it keeps the bad smells in the back of the truck. Both of my SUVs got pretty stinky with wet waders, dirty gear, and wet dirty dogs. 

I guess my biggest issue with the newer SUVs, is that they are basically luxury cars, and are no longer built for serious off road use. I believe that this would force one to look at older options in SUVs. I also have to say that after  looking at some of the  latest offerings of American made P/Us, that they are going that same way.....

Swampy 16

I haven’t read this thread but why not get your wife a new truck so you have it if needed? The GMC Canyons are really nice and about the same size as the Exploder. I bought a 19’ Cherokee this spring. This’ll be my first season with it but I like not having to lean over a tailgate to get to my stuff. I guess everything is more easily accessible in an suv. I’ve had trucks my entire life and honestly like the prospects of using an suv for bird hunting having used it for everything I do since I bought it.. Just my 2 cents.

Doubleplay

I'll add my two cents having owned and hunted both trucks and SUV's. My current truck is a Ram 2500 Diesel and I have three dog aluminum kennel in the back with a top storage. The only reason I own the truck is because I'm towing a 28 ft. Arctic Fox, otherwise I would probably own a midsize truck like Tacoma with a topper which is a much better platform for off road and less expensive to drive and buy.

Any full size truck or SUV is a terrible platform if you get into serious off roading situations because of their leaf suspensions, turning radius and approach angles to name a few.  However if all you do is dirt and gravel roads depending on your preferences any truck, SUV or station wagon will serve your needs, you don't even need a 4X4 in cases where it's dry.

If you'll get into serious backcountry/off road, you need a serious off road vehicle with clearance, good approach angles, locking or limited slip differential and one or two full size spare and maybe a winch. 

Most important decision to make when picking a hunting vehicle is where, how and what kind of game/bird you'll hunt.

There's no platform that can do it all and most everything is a compromise.

henryrski

I had a Suburban for a while (150,000 miles) . It was a dog but always got to there and back as long as you added a quart of oil every 500 miles. But to the issue, my dog cut her ear and it bleed like the devil. every time she shook her heaf threr would be a perfect circle of blood all over the interior. I don't remember if I cleaned it up or not. It was real hunting rig.