REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
paul frey

Garden Mulch

paul frey

Yesterday my wife and I stopped by Lowe’s to pick up a few things for the spring gardening. My wife struck up a conversation with the cashier and she ( the cashier) mentioned that a new mulch product came out and it has Preen (weed killer) in it so you don’t have to weed the gardens as much. Got me thinking about it. I can’t have this stuff in my yard. My dogs (Labs) east mulch like its dessert. If they injected too much I’m afraid it would kill them. Just wanted to put out an FYI. Happy gardening! 

Brad Eden

I googled this and it appears to be for mulch for flower and shrub garden landscaping, not for vegetable gardens. Good point about using it with dogs that dog and eat mulch etc. I searched for info on pets and preen and came up with the following. They don't say anything about dogs eating weed killer mulch. Actually preen doesn't kill weeds per day, but it stops them from germinating.

Pets & Preen

Swampy 16

We use a lot of a commercial product. It’s a preemergent. If your dogs eat mulch don’t use it. Actually grass clippings may be a good choice in the garden. I plan on trying it this year. However don’t use it or a preemergent around things like strawberry because they can’t spread.

jeff88

Taking a left turn here but speaking of mulch, I've been using cedar mulch.  In the HOU area we are "bug central", cedar keeps the bugs down.  We also get a lot of rain and flooding, have noticed cedar doesn't float as much.  It is not black though, it is a tawny brown color which is not as striking as the newly mulched black stuff.  The black mulch turns lighter fairly fast and degrades a bit faster than cedar.  The cedar mulch smells great too.  I like the idea of the Preen in mulch, our dog passed away earlier this year so we don't have to worry on that front.  We have extensive beds, 18-20 yards worth, and I hate weeding!

Swampy 16

We use about 500-600 yards of mulch each spring, commercially of course. Dyed black mulch is the last thing I’ll put on a property. It doesn’t look natural, turns grey very quickly, and like a black car shows every little spec of anything not mulch. We only use a triple ground mulch. If we use dyed it’s dyed brown. Dyed brown holds up extremely well.