Ramp Season!

Just getting good now here.

Made up some pesto from Hank Shaw's site. And a few as a side.

Should be popular at work tomorrow...😁20200503_085600.thumb.jpg.f2f6705d4210d2ae8ce104db998741fa.jpg

Mike da Carpenter

What is that mushroom/ramp concoction you have in that last picture?  Just found quite a few sprouting a couple days ago.  Will head back in a few more to harvest them.

I picked some last week, just sautéed to go with my steak. Will gather more later this week, secret spot. Only pick for myself and a good friend.

The saute was seasoning salt ,soya sauce and some red wine

Upland_Hunter
17 hours ago, SxSetter said:

20200503_181048.jpg

I am getting hungry!!

BBlizzard18

I got a pile of ramps turkey hunting yesterday.  I'm going to try and pickle a few jars of the stems with bulbs tomorrow.  I've made pesto before, but I was just thinking a ramp chimichurri would be killer with grilled meat.  Similar to pesto with the addition of some red wine vinegar and red pepper flakes, maybe a little cilantro, parsley, or oregano.  

You guys kill me!!

Our snow just melted yesterday.

Fortunately it seems too dry for mosquitos!

• 11 months later...
spinfly

Anyone out gathering yet ? I plan to get to my spots Wednesday for the first time this year.

boon hogganbeck

Haven’t found any myself, but my parents gave me a nice bag full 3 or 4 weeks ago. 

spinfly

I did get out this morning as planned, limit the amount I harvest from each patch. Will cook  them to go with Delmonico's tonight ,salt potatoes, corn on the cob. Life is good!

20210428_075716.jpg

20210428_122531.jpg

Mike da Carpenter

Went out with my oldest to see about some ramps and morels the other evening.  We didn’t find any morels or ramps, but we did come across an onion patch that was scattered throughout the woods.  Was a weird find, but a day that was a bust turned into a boom.

We could have easily filled the back of the truck, but opted for a few hands full and will continue to return to see what they materialize into.

D5A3B891-1DEE-4C23-A95E-4F528090E7F2.thumb.jpeg.afdced8ac6e1944f42abc9dd1d4535d8.jpeg

Then we came across some “pheasant back” mushrooms.  When it comes to mushrooms, I do not trust anything but morels.  And quite honestly, I give all the morels to people I know who like them.  I love mushrooms, but I’ll be darned if I’m going to let a wild one kill me because I wasn’t quite sure in my identification.

C85BF563-0562-4C36-A120-16735EEDD62E.thumb.jpeg.c9c07cfed64b33dd7e44499374f725a1.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
Ben Hong

One of my brothers owns a lakeside spread near Huntsville (north Ontario). spread out in patches is about an acre of ramps. Every year he gets strange visitors who claim they were dear, dear friends of his.  The past 3-4 seasons he put up a few signs. End of problem for now. We Canadians are an obedient bunch.

When my Tye was still with us 6 years ago, I taught him to bark loud warnings on command. He was an 80+ lb GSP, and his bark was commensurate with his size. He put a scare to several groups of foragers a few years ago, and they haven't been back.

Ramps have become a protected species in parts of mid- south Ontario. Commercial foragers (supplying health food and alternate lifestyle foods stores have largely devastated heretofore productive forest habitats.

We in my part of SW NB need not worry, we have vast stretches of muddy river and lake shores where the fiddleheads thrive. YUMM!

Probably an eastern thing since I've never seen them out west and don't believe I've ever heard of them. They do look tasty in some of the ways they're prepared.