REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
1971snipe

Night Sky

1971snipe

Big bright full flower moon rose slowly this evening, and dominates the night sky.  It also dominates all of my neighbors' outside lights.  They must all be afraid of the dark.  Catching sight of meteors from Halley's comet this week has been out of the question.  

Don Steese

The rising moon here in the AZ. desert tonight has been spectacular!!  

Ben Hong

Tonight I stepped outside with my excellent 60X spotting scope on a tripod to take a gander at the heavens.  The moon dominated everything and bled out about 50% of the stars and planets. The next 4 days are forecasted to be cloudy and rainy. This has to be the wettest and coldest spring in recent memory. They are even looking for snow in parts of the province!

Don Steese
2 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

Tonight I stepped outside with my excellent 60X spotting scope on a tripod to take a gander at the heavens.  The moon dominated everything and bled out about 50% of the stars and planets. The next 4 days are forecasted to be cloudy and rainy. This has to be the wettest and coldest spring in recent memory. They are even looking for snow in parts of the province!

Record warmth and relentless sunshine here. Been over 100 in the Phoenix valley since last week and will be for the next few days. About 15 degrees above normal I'm told. Haven't hit triple digits here yet but we've been close!! 

max2
8 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

Big bright full flower moon rose slowly this evening, and dominates the night sky.  It also dominates all of my neighbors' outside lights.  They must all be afraid of the dark.  Catching sight of meteors from Halley's comet this week has been out of the question.  

I wish I had known  about the meteors as having a pup onboard I have been seeing some awesome night skies as of late. With last night no exception in the moon dept.  I often think while out there about you folks here on the Uj and your cameras . Since Axe came home a lot of clear night sky's ! 

Remo

Yep, snapped a few pics last night. I think you could have read a book outside at midnight. Nature is a miracle. For a 100,000 years people could marvel at the night heavens but it is getting harder to do all the time with the light pollution.

UplandHntr

geez now a guy cant have an outside light on?

dogrunner

5 am this morning 

089C4B82-42C2-4808-BABA-98967F361200.jpeg

FEEF3E0F-AA6E-472D-90E7-B440EC2E3568.jpeg

Rogue Hunter

I took the dog outside at 4:30 this morning. Saw what appeared to be two satellites, one moving N. to S. and the other moving S. to N. They pasted relatively close to each other. Then, after they pasted, the S. to N. moving one curved to the NE. Curious. I've seen maybe 5-6 single satellites that have traveled S. to N. in the early morning sky, but never any moving N. to S., or, that changed course. Very curious in deed.

Birdcountry70
On 5/7/2020 at 5:24 AM, Remo said:

Yep, snapped a few pics last night. I think you could have read a book outside at midnight. Nature is a miracle. For a 100,000 years people could marvel at the night heavens but it is getting harder to do all the time with the light pollution.

I never really thought much about light pollution because we just don't have enough people around here to create it. A relative visiting from the east coast many years ago was amazed to see millions of stars one clear night.  I always thought it was no big deal. Didn't realize so many areas of our country are unable to see how amazing the night sky is. 

apachecadillac

Light pollution is real.   I remember, decades ago, dove hunting in northern Mexico (this was way before cartels, etc.).  From one year to the next, you could get a sense of rural electrification creeping around the edge of the lake that the hunting camp bordered.  It was kind of interesting, from an economic progress point of view, but a real pity for the night sky.

Now, here in New Mexico, the state parks has some kind of 'dark sky initiative (mostly in the central and southern part of the state).  Sometime I'd like to get down there and do one of their programs.  But even here, on the edge of Santa Fe there's a lot more to the night sky that you'd find in a 'real' city.