Dog Ground Transport Services?? Anyone use?

Bird Buster

Well once again planning a possible trip and time constraints  come into play. Being able to fly would maximize hunting time. Who has used a mobile ground transport company  to haul your dogs to your hunting location and what was your experience with? Would you do it again and were you limited by not just driving out yourself? Just looking to possibly explore a different option. It may not be cost effective tho since I would have an airline ticket for myself and also rental vehicle expense while hunting. Expenses would be a 2 person split. Tks for feedback. 

UplandVirginia

I am curious on this one as well. Not really fond of the idea of trying to fly a dog. 

Bird Buster

Hope we get some feedback. If feasible I would do it vs spending 2 days on road just to and from. Would provide extra boots on ground time. I am getting an estimate now for our 4 dogs round trip. 

[[oops, you said ground transport.  well, never mind. . . ]

I used Delta to fly a dog ATL-Harrisburg, PA and ATL-Philly.

Ticket price was about the same as business class.  Not quite first class.  But, then, no open bar either.

A lot of paperwork, proof of vaccines, etc.  The required crate was bigger than I normally would have selected for a dog, but no big deal.  I had to provide a frozen-water dish.  

Delta did a great job in that they were mindful & careful on both ends.  

The commercial airlines, Delta included, really don't want to fly dogs since there is only downside for them. 

I've seen the ads for the airlines that specialize in dog transport.  They look very intriguing to me.

Edited by frak

I have used Delta a couple of times and it was painless and efficient. But I have heard about others using Hound Haulers - tho' i have not. If the delivery is delayed, you will lose hunting time.

I am using one as we speak, transporting a Boykin from his trainer in North Dakota to Little Rock. I have used them several times and have been really pleased with the results. The dogs are no worse than if I had been on an extended drive hunting, I'll get the name tomorrow, long weekend!