REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RookieEP

Tundra crew VS double Cab

RookieEP

Im thinking hard about next my vehicle.  Never had a truck the Toyota Tundra been my dream truck for a long time. My commute is super short for work so gas is not a concern. Wife is on board.  I have 2 kids. I always thought I wanted the crew cab but the bed is 5,6”.  While the double cab is 6,6”. Quite the difference.  I’m shopping used. Seems the double cab are a little less money. For those that have been owning trucks for long times.  What’s your preferred and why?  

fishmunkee
Posted (edited)

I have a crew cab tundra and I am even comfortable in the back seat (I'm 6'4"). Occasionally I wish I had the extra bed length but not as often as my riders like the seating room.

Edited by fishmunkee
spelling

Jacksdad

Crewmax is what i went with.  Very happy with it.  Crazy space in the back.  

CptSydor

I think it comes down to how many people (and their size) are in the backseat compared to what type of stuff (and how often) you have stuff in the bed.

I have an F150 double cab. Had no interest in the crew cab. Rarely are there people back there, when there is, it's plenty comfortable for an average adult for the at most couple hours they would be back there. On the other hand, I do enjoy the extra foot in the bed. Often have bikes and gear back there and it can be pretty loaded especially when out camping with the trailer.

shoot-straight

i have a 2007 double cab tundra. there is significantly more room in the crew, but i actually wanted the little bit longer bed for my kayaks and canoe. 

i will not buy another. its a pain to work on, parts are expensive and i am not happy with the rust on mine, nor the lack of toyotas efforts to make it right when they know they have an issue. they still dont know how to properly use seam sealer. 

Kenai

I have a Tundra crewmax. I’m happy with my choice 90% of the time.  Great on trips with the entire family, plenty of bed room for my hauling needs. The double cab would be nice to camp out of (sleeping under the cap); especially true during this spring’s fishing season with the covid19 and not wanting to stay in hotels. Otherwise, I’m very happy with the crewmax. You will love the tundra. 

mikegillam

I have a 2014 double cab. My second double cab, and once this one is done, I will get another. I had no problem taking my daughter and her friends in the back seat, and have taken the truck on multiple long road trips...Ohio to Idaho, Arizona, etc... with 4 people in truck. No issues whatsoever. The crew cab is certainly bigger, but I like the longer bed (I sleep more comfortably when I can stretch out). Currently 210,000 miles with no major issues.

markbrit

Are you towing? If so the double cab has a better payload capacity. I have the 8 foot bed and other than tight parking spots...it rules!