REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

ALL BS aside, how far have domestic trucks come?

GlennW
17 hours ago, Two Barrels said:

I bought it new and it now has 360K miles on the clock.

Why on earth would you buy a Toyota if your current Chevy has 360k on it and is still going strong?The Toyotas are cheaper, but my goodness! This is what I told my friend who owns a GMC,Club cab that we have driven all over the country hunting in and has been in places that I can not believe we ever came out of!! Do not ever go down Degroot rd in the UP of Michigan! I would not have thought a billy goat could get out that road,but he and that GMC did.We ran into one guy, a local who questioned us as to how we got back into his cover,we could not of come up that road,Sandy said the Hell we didn't! At any rate I told Sandy you are crazy if you buy anything but another GMC,this one should be in a museum or something! He said I think I will try a new Tundra,the GMC is too hard to wear out!! LOL He's still driving the GMC and will take it to SD in the fall I'm sure!

Glenn

NW River Mac
15 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Price...and...Seeing a lot more low mileage used domestic brand trucks on the market Than Tundras...maybe that should be telling me something. 

In December, I purchased a 2017 Chevy 1/2 ton with the All-Star package.  I did this because I am retiring and the 2008 tundra I have/had (jut sold it this past Monday) had 236K miles and I wanted to have one last truck.  I looked at Tundras again but was put of by the 2-3K difference in price.  After driving the Chevy for a week I kind of kicked myself in the ass wondering what the heck did I do to myself.  My Toyota was still very tight, and ran like a top.  The Chevy was newer but the ride wasn't worth the 26K I spent on it.  My biggest concern was the mileage. After retiring I didn't want a vehicle that got 16-17 mpg like the toy was getting.  I had aggressive tires on the Chevy and wasn't getting 18 mpg so I gained nothing in that department. Now that I have put road tires on the Chevy I'm averaging 21mpg.  I believe that if I had ever put road tires on the Tundra I would have gotten close to 20 mpg. 

JMO, if you go from a Toyota to the GM product you will  be a bit disappointed.  Smaller truck, less everything in my opinion.  But in the end money talks and you do what you have to do. Best of luck.

Samuel Hoggson
9 hours ago, max2 said:

My thoughts in retirement you will most likely be driving less.

For sure.  Averaging just 12k/year now.  Softens fuel economy arguments against a larger trucks/engines.  Getting 16 around here, 17 on the road, with the 6.2 '18 Ford. 

So far like it lots, even if it is less "cushy" than the 1/2 tons.  That was after I installed running boards.  Turns out I can't climb in without them.  Using the rear tires as a step to get in the bed.  So far OK.  My service guys made me get power windows......said I'm too old to be sliding over to roll the passenger window down.

Daughter in CT is currently looking at 1500 GMs/5.3, trying to find a decent '15-'17.  Haven't heard back yet. 

Peent
19 hours ago, Kansas Bound said:

I think Lurch nailed it.  All three are quality trucks.  I would rank them:

Ford

Ram

Chevrolet 

Toyota has one benefit over the others, resale.  You don't seem to need resale.  Toyota's days of offering a superior truck are behind it.  

The benefit you missed is miles and miles with no major issues.   Save 2000 on sale price but what’s a Chevy transmission cost?

dogrunner
13 hours ago, blanked said:

how many miles do you get out of them

IMO you can’t judge good if you don’t have it at least 150,000 miles

Most of them are 2 years or less and 65,000 or less. I feel by then if you have not had any major issues you probably have a decent vehicle. My dealer asks me every time I turn one in if I would buy it or not. Because if I say yes then he will sell them to his friends or family. If I say no and tell him why he moves them to the auction. 

shoot-straight
1 hour ago, Peent said:

The benefit you missed is miles and miles with no major issues.   Save 2000 on sale price but what’s a Chevy transmission cost?

a Chevy tranny is about 2-3k. To have a new starter installed on my tundra- just the starter was over 1k. That's insane, the part is expensive and then the "book rate" to replace is uber-insane because they bury it. Rear axle bearing in my tundra- 2k. 2k! Had to drop the axle completely. Again parts and lots of "book rate" labor.

Craig Doherty
23 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I’m in the market for a slightly used half ton pick up truck. I’ve been fixated on a late model 2017/2018 Toyota Tundra.  I’ve come across a couple, but haven’t really bitten yet. While searching around I’m seeing quite a few GMC and mostly Chevys that look pretty nice. There are a couple at the Toyota dealership that I’ve bought 3 trucks from in the last 30 plus years. (Now, understand I had a bad experience with a brand new Ford Ranger I bought in 1985 or so. That soured me on Fords and domestic trucks pretty much.)

There is a Silver 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab/ V8 5.3L/325 with 52,500 miles and a Black 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 High Country Crew Cab/ V8 5.3L/325 with 51,300 miles.

These have been on the lot for a couple months. My guess is they may have been traded in for a Tundra which makes me pause, unless they were picked up at an auction. I’m just flinchy on domestic trucks for some reason. Any general thoughts on the two I mentioned? At this point I’d low ball big time if I drove one and liked it.

Just fishing for options.

Brad, I've had six Chevy/GMC trucks since 1988.  My current one is a 2018 LT Crew with a Z-71 package.  That package gives you some skid plates and a stiffer suspension with gas shocks.  The one I had before that was not a Z-71 and I never liked the suspension when I was on gravel and lousy rural roads -- too much bounce in the softer suspension.  My current truck is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever had.  The back seat is very roomy and when I'm with my daughter, SIL, and granddaughter we always take the truck as the family vehicle.  Right now with the cap on and the dog box out -- I'm getting just over 19 mpg.

Big Al

I have a 2016 F150 with the Ecoboost engine.  It has 38,000 miles on it and it ranks right up there with the finest vehicles I've ever owned.  Exclusive Montana driving, so mostly highway.  The Ford touch screen electronics is really great also. 

Tim Frazier

So maybe not a popular way to look at buying vehicles but I like trucks as plane as possible.  Gadgets and turbo's ect, ect, all mean more moving parts to go wrong.  I think base models tend to get engines with less power but they share many of the drive train components of the next level up so you end up with a transmission built to tow 10,000lbs behind an engine that is rated at 5,500 as an example.   I also believe in changing the oil I use as a vehicle gets older.  If your running 0wt oil in a vehicle with over 100,000 miles don't be surprised if it's burning oil or causing dash lights to appear.  (this is just what I do)  My wife's Toyota Highlander could not run 0wt oil after 140,000 without getting a dash light but 5W20 and no problems for the last 25,000 miles.

Dogwood

All I know is the day I see a pic of Brad Eden in anything but a Toyota truck is the the day I faint. Splat lol!

Kansas Bound

I can't believe how civil this thread is.  When people talk truck brands, things go downhill fast.

A board full of gentleman for sure. 

Don Steese

Ahhh, to be young enough to have to worry about whether you'll get 100,000 miles on your truck before a major repair! 

max2
6 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Ahhh, to be young enough to have to worry about whether you'll get 100,000 miles on your truck before a major repair! 

Back in the day you were thinking about an engine rebuild at 100,00  miles. Who remembers volvo having the reputation for big mileage and every time you turned 100,00 thousand you received an emblem to place into your front grill. 

Don Steese
1 hour ago, max2 said:

Back in the day you were thinking about an engine rebuild at 100,00  miles. Who remembers volvo having the reputation for big mileage and every time you turned 100,00 thousand you received an emblem to place into your front grill. 

If someone got 100 thousand on a vehicle they were the talk of the town!

Dogwood

Brad in a GM truck?  Geez what's next?  A pointing dog?  Hammergun?  Mr. Happy all the time?  Politics and Religion topics A-ok?

We have expectations. You're making me anxious.  Please stay in your lane.  

Thank you.