REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

ALL BS aside, how far have domestic trucks come?

Brad Eden

I’m thinking of buying a PC laptop with Windows too...sucker for punishment....

ScenicRoute
10 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Now you’ve gone too far.  

ScottGrush
On 5/15/2020 at 7:46 AM, Peent said:

Save 2000 on sale price but what’s a Chevy transmission cost?

On a 2016 GMC with 105,000 miles they cost about $4,000.00. 

terrym
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

If you also shave your head or beard off then this board is Kaputt!!

terrym
On 5/15/2020 at 7:46 AM, Peent said:

The benefit you missed is miles and miles with no major issues.   Save 2000 on sale price but what’s a Chevy transmission cost?

Most people never maintain trannys and many abuse them. Don’t overload them and change the oil every 50k and tranny’s shouldn’t fail. 

Virgil Kane

All the big name manufacturers make nice trucks.  Never gave it much thought until my wife and I started looking a places we would like to retire to.  My wife loves her Honda pilot but it's an 06 and she would like to buy another Pilot.  Problem is where we are looking to move the nearest Honda dealership is 120 miles away.  I've been a GM guy for a long time, current truck is a 2011 4x4 Silverado 1/2 ton 5.3  with a cap on. I'm disappointed with the mileage (17 mpg on the road or around town). My last truck before this one was a 1989 4x4 GMC 3/4 ton 5.3 with no cap and I got as much as 23 mpg on the road and just under 20 mpg around town and that GMC had over 200,000 miles on it. No problems with either one, just normal maintenance.

The whole point of this long post is this.  I have never been in a place where I couldn't get parts or find someone that could work on  a Chevy, Dodge, GMC or Ford even in BF Anywhere USA.  If my wife ends up getting another Honda and something goes wrong it's going to be a 120 mile tow job or waiting a day or more for parts so we kind of scratched foreign vehicles off the list because of this.  YMMV

Virgil 

quailguy
43 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

All the big name manufacturers make nice trucks.  Never gave it much thought until my wife and I started looking a places we would like to retire to.  My wife loves her Honda pilot but it's an 06 and she would like to buy another Pilot.  Problem is where we are looking to move the nearest Honda dealership is 120 miles away.  I've been a GM guy for a long time, current truck is a 2011 4x4 Silverado 1/2 ton 5.3  with a cap on. I'm disappointed with the mileage (17 mpg on the road or around town). My last truck before this one was a 1989 4x4 GMC 3/4 ton 5.3 with no cap and I got as much as 23 mpg on the road and just under 20 mpg around town and that GMC had over 200,000 miles on it. No problems with either one, just normal maintenance.

The whole point of this long post is this.  I have never been in a place where I couldn't get parts or find someone that could work on  a Chevy, Dodge, GMC or Ford even in BF Anywhere USA.  If my wife ends up getting another Honda and something goes wrong it's going to be a 120 mile tow job or waiting a day or more for parts so we kind of scratched foreign vehicles off the list because of this.  YMMV

Virgil 

A relative by marriage, a far out one, operates a repair garage here in NE PA and has for 20 years or so. I asked him about pickups a couple months ago and he said any recent big three pickup was good. Did not need much garage work, keep up with the oil changes and normal maintenance, and they did what they were supposed to do. 

There is always some place that can fix your Ford, Ram or GM pickup. Even in lost in the prairies Nebraska . A Nissan or Toyota maybe not so much. Point of fact; I lost the throw out bearding on my Ford pickup, towing my TT, in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. AAA towed me to the nearest town 

There was a Ford dealer right across the street from the local motel. There was also a GM dealer. I have no idea how far away a Toyota or Nissan dealer was, but it was a long way. Got my truck fixed and was on the road the next morning. 

So, I agree with Virgil.   

406dn

I generally agree that you can find someone to work on a big three vehicle no matter were you break down. But they might not have the part in town on in any close town. Been there done that. The 95 Suburban that I owned, years ago, had the alternator go bad. Fortunately we were coming into the town and made it,,,but it was couple of days before they got their hands on an alternator.

The ability to find a mechanic who can work on a rig factored into me getting an 86 K5 Blazer instead of an Isuzu Trooper. There were things about the Trooper that I really liked but I was fearful of a breakdown when off in the middle of nowhere. Well the Blazer needed its share of mechanical work and then some. It was a lemon by most any definition. It could get you into some places, that you prayed it would also get you out. 

Rogue Hunter
20 hours ago, quailguy said:

A relative by marriage, a far out one, operates a repair garage here in NE PA and has for 20 years or so. I asked him about pickups a couple months ago and he said any recent big three pickup was good. Did not need much garage work, keep up with the oil changes and normal maintenance, and they did what they were supposed to do. 

There is always some place that can fix your Ford, Ram or GM pickup. Even in lost in the prairies Nebraska . A Nissan or Toyota maybe not so much. Point of fact; I lost the throw out bearding on my Ford pickup, towing my TT, in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. AAA towed me to the nearest town 

There was a Ford dealer right across the street from the local motel. There was also a GM dealer. I have no idea how far away a Toyota or Nissan dealer was, but it was a long way. Got my truck fixed and was on the road the next morning. 

So, I agree with Virgil.   

So, just to play the devil's advocate here, if you have AAA, Toyota or not,  wouldn't matter how far it had to be towed?

quailguy
15 minutes ago, Rogue Hunter said:

So, just to play the devil's advocate here, if you have AAA, Toyota or not,  wouldn't matter how far it had to be towed?

Depends on how long you want to wait for AAA, how far you like to be towed and how much you want to pay. I have AAA Deluxe and the nearest town was 30 miles. AAA had to send a big tow truck because I was pulling my 26 ft travel trailer. The nearest larger town was an hour or so. I don’t remember a Toyota dealer there, but there could have been one. It’s worse in Montana and Wyoming, etc.  

I had to hike to the top of the nearest big hill to get a cell signal. I had been walking about 30 minutes when a kind local picked me up and drove me the rest of the way.     
The local Ford dealer had to go to the nearest Ford parts place to get a throw out bearing. I wonder how much further away a Toyota parts warehouse is located??? In the middle of lost in the prairie Nebraska.   

Once I had a side window shot out by some antelope hunter I guess in Montana. The glass place took a 300 mile round trip to the nearest slightly larger dorf to get a replacement Ford window. I bet there was no Toyota window there. 
I got nothing against Toyota or Nissan but their dealers are a lot thinner on the ground out in rural America.  

Brad Eden

Things got interesting. I have been looking mostly at used Tundras, but just found a 2016 Tacoma crew cab, V6, TRD package, long bed with 14k miles. One owner, and it originally came from Hawaii. Must have gotten shipped here and gone on an Auction. Crazy low mileage and likely no rust issues and the price is very right. I KNOW the Tacoma isn’t 1/4 of the truck a Tundra is, but in reality that sized truck would fit my needs at this point. This lot also has a 2017 crew cab Tundra SR5 with 60k miles I may look at but the price is not right.

Virgil Kane
36 minutes ago, Rogue Hunter said:

Kind of yes.  In my case it would be at least a 3 hour round trip. I would have to enlist the services of a friend or my wife and drive another vehicle to the dealership to pick it up. If I had to ride with the tow truck it would be that same 3 hour trip twice for somebody. So it could be a total of 6 hours of to and from just to get a vehicle serviced.  Beside the time it would take the other problem is these breakdowns always happen at the most inopportune times, at least they do for me.

Not a rip on any manufacturer, just what the problem would be in my scenario.

Virgil 

SODAKer
On 5/14/2020 at 2:38 PM, Rogue Hunter said:

THIS! I believe ALL dealerships do this subliminal messaging/advertising. I've had four Toyotas (Tacoma size), and except for this last one (2010), all have very good trucks. But, I now question if I should try another brand next time. Would like a full size, Tundra or F150, but really question whether they would be practical as a retirement vehicle.

Not retired but can say there is a lot of room difference between the Tundra and Tacoma; I have the Tundra and while I like it, it is too big for my use but its paid for and I only drive ~ 8k miles per year. That being said, as much as I like the Tacoma, it just feels cramped for family but I do think the 4 door crew Tacoma makes a good sized one man truck though for room. 

terrym

Things got interesting. I have been looking mostly at used Tundras, but just found a 2016 Tacoma crew cab, V6, TRD package, long bed with 14k miles. One owner, and it originally came from Hawaii. Must have gotten shipped here and gone on an Auction. Crazy low mileage and likely no rust issues and the price is very right. I KNOW the Tacoma isn’t 1/4 of the truck a Tundra is, but in reality that sized truck would fit my needs at this point. This lot also has a 2017 crew cab Tundra SR5 with 60k miles I may look at but the price is not right.

Isn’t the new Tacoma very close in size to your older Tundra? The seat height in Tacoma’s just feels odd to me. Feels like you’re sitting on the floor. I would try one on for “fit” first. But you’re a Toyota man and I think you would be looking over your shoulder non stop if you bought anything else. 14k miles is barely broken  in. 

Dogwood

Have you test drove a Tacoma for at least an hour or so?  Might be a good idea to help you sort it.