REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

ALL BS aside, how far have domestic trucks come?

Dogwood

Tundra #1

Tundra #2

max2

Here's the reason I like the Tacoma . I have owned two in the past that required nothing but maintenance . Not to mention the easiest vehicle to sell at the end of it's needs. First one I had I sold with 245 thousand miles on it and the second one 105 thousand miles both were 4 cyc.  

I like the lower mileage you are looking at of  14 k.  For me the tuff sale would be to purchase a vehicle with 60 thousand miles on it for the numbers they ask. Just crazy -(IMO)  I also disagree with things will show up by 60 thousand. (IMO) all vehicles show their issues around 100 thousand miles. Just personal observations.

I think you could get by with a Tacoma - but then who am I to say 😁.  I like pointy dogs you like flushing breeds.

The 14 thousand mile truck sounds to good to be true and could be the come-on ad to get folks calling . Remember in the end its all a game . You against them and again I say  ~ You are in the drivers seat !

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

Tundra #1

Tundra #2

Not interested in First Gen Tundra (2000-2016) I’m on my second, and they are by far the best sized and equipped pick-up for the average Joe ever to come off the assembly line. With that said I’m ready for newer tech etc.

I had a “bought new” small Toyota pickup before they named them Tacoma. 6 cylinder goat. It had the extra cab, not the crew cab and I traded it in for the first year 2000 Tundra because of a growing family and kennel. That’s the only vehicle I actually felt bad and emotional about when I left it in the dealership lot. At least I didn’t do what others do...buying a mini van...

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, terrym said:

Isn’t the new Tacoma very close in size to your older Tundra? The seat height in Tacoma’s just feels odd to me. Feels like you’re sitting on the floor. I would try one on for “fit” first. But you’re a Toyota man and I think you would be looking over your shoulder non stop if you bought anything else. 14k miles is barely broken  in. 

Close but not as big. In 2007 Toyota did two things 1, they upped the size of both the Tacoma and Tundra (They may have upped the size of Tacoma a year or two later actually,  not certain). When driving down the highway you do need to take a double take to determine if a truck is a late model Tacoma or an early first generation Tundra. With that said, once you get in the drivers set you see the Tacoma isn’t nearly the truck the First generation Tundra is. Regardless, I’m not eliminating late model Tacoma’s off the list.

Dogwood
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

With that said I’m ready for newer tech etc.

Such as? Just curious.

Kansas Big Dog

Since 1995, I have had 4 Ford trucks.  A 1989' F-250, a 2000 F-150, a 2010 diesel F-250 and my current beater, a 2005' F-150. Other than the normal maintenance and repairs you expect, I have gotten over 500,000 miles out of those Ford trucks. I think they have improved significantly from 89' to current models. They were all bought used. And I no doubt used them much harder than the previous owners had.

Brad Eden
18 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Such as? Just curious.

Ergonomic cup holders...I don’t know. Whatever has happened since 2006 or 14 years. Although I live by the K.I.S.S. system. I have to believe a late model truck has some advancements from a 14 year old truck. If not,then let’s say I’m looking for a change of pace.

Peent

I’m on my third Tundra, owned all generations of them.   Before that I had a Tacoma.  I liked the first gen. tundra but since the two newer ones I’d never go back to that smaller size, I like the larger generations. I’ve also owned a 4Runner and two RAV4s. So if you want to know anything about the trucks I’ll likely be able to answer your questions.  A couple things I couldn’t live without on this generation are hands free communication, the 4.6L that consistently gives me 17.5 MPG. I’d like the 5.7 but don’t really need it right now. I like the double cab, not the Crew cab because I like the larger bed size. Also get the roll down rear glass if you can. 

Big Al
44 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Ergonomic cup holders...I don’t know. Whatever has happened since 2006 or 14 years. Although I live by the K.I.S.S. system. I have to believe a late model truck has some advancements from a 14 year old truck. If not,then let’s say I’m looking for a change of pace.

The ability to hook a trailer up by myself on the first try is wonderful.  Backup camera with lines aimed right down to the hitch.

terrym

The transmissions is a huge upgrade. That is why those new behemoths with 6-8-10 speed trannys get better mileage than smaller ones of yesterday. 

406dn
18 minutes ago, Big Al said:

The ability to hook a trailer up by myself on the first try is wonderful.  Backup camera with lines aimed right down to the hitch.

Amen to that. 

blanked

blue tooth

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, blanked said:

blue tooth

And maybe a back up camera...

pa'tridge hunters

Once you have a back up camera you'll wonder how you managed without one. I've had Chevy's since 1974 with the exception of an 88 Jeep Comanche. Nice truck, but too small. It all depends on what catches your eye. Don't envy you car shopping though. 

blanked

Built in compass