Brad Eden

ALL BS aside, how far have domestic trucks come?

Brad Eden

I’m in the market for a slightly used half ton pick up truck. I’ve been fixated on a late model 2017/2018 Toyota Tundra.  I’ve come across a couple, but haven’t really bitten yet. While searching around I’m seeing quite a few GMC and mostly Chevys that look pretty nice. There are a couple at the Toyota dealership that I’ve bought 3 trucks from in the last 30 plus years. (Now, understand I had a bad experience with a brand new Ford Ranger I bought in 1985 or so. That soured me on Fords and domestic trucks pretty much.)

There is a Silver 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab/ V8 5.3L/325 with 52,500 miles and a Black 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 High Country Crew Cab/ V8 5.3L/325 with 51,300 miles.

These have been on the lot for a couple months. My guess is they may have been traded in for a Tundra which makes me pause, unless they were picked up at an auction. I’m just flinchy on domestic trucks for some reason. Any general thoughts on the two I mentioned? At this point I’d low ball big time if I drove one and liked it.

Just fishing for options.

Lurch

Not real familar with the High Country package,(guessing it's tires/suspension/skid plates and a badge?) but the LTZ was Chevy's version of the Denali with all the bells and whistles.

All of the big 3 have come a long ways recently. I'd say GM has fallen a bit behind in terms of the electronic doodads a bit and Dodge, who's usually been at the back, jumped ahead in recent years. All will do the job for you and are light years away from your 1985 model.

WI Outdoor Nut

I am sure a lot of life left in those trucks.  I think all trucks are build way better than 20 years ago, and most trucks should go 150,000+ miles without many or no issues.  A few thoughts that come to mind...

- Why are these trucks on a Toyota lot?  If they were trade ins, what caused the previous owner to trade in from a GM product to a Toyota?

- Look at the car fax and history.  What is that saying about the vehicle.  If bought from hurricane areas, avoid.

- Are you pulling anything?  If so, personally, I don't like the 5.3 (I am sure others will disagree, but my opinion).  In order to make power, the torque curve on these motors is very high RPM.  So the motor will be downshifting a lot to go up the hill, pass, or take on a head wind.  If under 3,000#'s, not an issue for sure.  Had a 5.3 pulling a 4500# boat and night and day difference in other motors (GM 6.0, 6.2, Toyota 5.7, Ford 3.5, etc.).

markbrit

I am biased and still like my Tundra first :)

But if I went domestic...I would look at the GMC's, a lot of folks seem to like them. Go test drive one and see if you like the dashboard. You need to sit in one and twist buttons.

I think Toyota holds resale best still?

Jacksdad

They are moving backwards.  Particularly GM and Ford.  Ram....well it's tough to go backwards when the bar is set so low!

gunsrus

Not a pick up but the 2015 and 2017 Chevy Tahoe LTZ's (both identical) that my wife and daughter drive (me too once in a while) are the roomiest , most comfortable rides I've ever had . The styling and conveniences are second to none . I would buy another in a heartbeat . 

RookieEP

Id really check out reliability on Chevy/GM transmissions.  Just do your research 

grouse28

Stick with the Toyota’s Brad. You have a negative vibe towards the American made trucks. They know it and can feel it.

If you buy one it will vex you. Go with your heart.

Dogwood

I'm curious as to why you are even considering anything but a Toyota?

Kansas Bound
1 hour ago, Lurch said:

All of the big 3 have come a long ways recently. I'd say GM has fallen a bit behind in terms of the electronic doodads a bit and Dodge, who's usually been at the back, jumped ahead in recent years. All will do the job for you and are light years away from your 1985 model.

I think Lurch nailed it.  All three are quality trucks.  I would rank them:

Ford

Ram

Chevrolet 

Toyota has one benefit over the others, resale.  You don't seem to need resale.  Toyota's days of offering a superior truck are behind it.  

ScottGrush
1 hour ago, RookieEP said:

Id really check out reliability on Chevy/GM transmissions.  Just do your research 

Yeah this. The RGS fleet had three trucks, a 2015 Chevy and two 2016 GMC's that all had transmissions go out at near the 100K mark.  

I'm a GM family guy, always drove Chevys but this gives me pause on buying another one right now. I do believe something has changed since then(8 speed vs. 10 speed???) but I'm not sure which was the weak link. Like Rookie said do your research. 

shoot-straight

how far have they come? too far! too expensive because of all the crap they have on them now.....

as a 1999 chevy then a 2007 tundra owner, ill say i liked my chevy better. i did. i have had some repairs on my tundra, parts are super expensive and i never heard my mechanic cuss unless hes working on it. replacement of usually straight forward things like a starter or axle bearing turns into many many hours of labor (book rate). toyota still hasnt solved their frame rust issues either. nor did they know how to properly use seam sealer in 2007. toyota half assed the fix too. likely wont replace with another toyota. 

in the end, all the trucks are pretty good. i will not buy the smaller super tuned ford engines. in my experience the 5.3 chevy is the best combo of milage and reasonble power. the chevy 6.0 is widely thought among motorheads as the best engine out there overall. lastly, they are all far to complex nowadays, a pain to work on and way, way too expensive. 

cant speak for ram,  but i find it curious that they can be had for 15% or 20% less than a comparable truck from any other mfg. 

Two Barrels

My next truck will likely be a Tundra.  Currently, I drive a 2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 with the 6.6L Duramax.  I bought it new and it now has 360K miles on the clock.  It is a solid truck and I plan on keeping it.  I have friends who live in northern Maine and they have tried Fords, Chevrolets, Dodges, and Toyotas.  They work/live in the North Maine Woods most of the year.  The Tundras last for them when other trucks fall apart.

max2

My thoughts are I have never seen a vehicle I had traded on the lot I traded it in on. You get nothing for a trade in and off to auction it goes. IMO - it's a numbers game . They probably picked up the trucks you have seen on the lot at auction themselves for 1/3 the amount they are asking.  

I have owned Fords & Chevy's and can say this - I have never had a Chevy I didn't like.  Construction vehicles for me . My commuters were Toyota Tacoma's.  My Chevy is 7 yrs old which I purchased new . Wrecked at a year old 13,500. damage. 

The money in :

Oil changes, 2nd set of tires, front breaks Rotors & pads ( I did them) Original rear brakes currently, a new radiator that I nstalled last week . So I probably have about 3500. listed here that it cost me beside the purchase price.    Just over  90 thousand miles on it 

Rogue Hunter
48 minutes ago, max2 said:

My thoughts are I have never seen a vehicle I had traded on the lot I traded it in on. You get nothing for a trade in and off to auction it goes. IMO - it's a numbers game . They probably picked up the trucks you have seen on the lot at auction themselves for 1/3 the amount they are asking.  

THIS! I believe ALL dealerships do this subliminal messaging/advertising. I've had four Toyotas (Tacoma size), and except for this last one (2010), all have very good trucks. But, I now question if I should try another brand next time. Would like a full size, Tundra or F150, but really question whether they would be practical as a retirement vehicle.