ALL BS aside, how far have domestic trucks come?

shoot-straight
2 hours ago, blanked said:

Chevy has a reputation for the best ride.   The downside they also have a reputation for falling apart if you drive off road frequently. Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

my 99 Chevy 5.3 was great off road. Literally never got it stuck. Ever. And I tried.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Dogwood

• terrym

• max2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"All BS aside"?? I'm out

Yes it's telling you that in 2019 the Big 3 trucks outsold Tundras roughly 6:1, 8:1, and 9:1 (Ram, GM, Ford respectively).       

Ahhh, to be young enough to have to worry about whether you'll get 100,000 miles on your truck before a major repair! 

Posted Images

If I were looking for a late model full-size and didn't have heavy towing needs I personally would be looking for an F150 with a base V6.

You won't see a lot of them because most opt for the V8 or the Ecoboost but having had a few rentals with the V6 I found the power to be perfectly fine, heavy towing aside.

If you find one it's likely it will be a  real deal because it's a V6. They have a very good reliability reputation and are relatively simple tech compared to turbos and AFM etc, 

I haven't done a ton of research because I'm not in the market, but based on what I do know, a newer F150 with a regular non-turbo V6 is a pretty safe reliability bet.

Alaskan Swamp Collie

It's a crap shoot. Any one can give you a lemon and anyone can deliver a great vehicle. I've had many in my life, fords,chevys, dodges, Toyota, even a Nissan. Mostly been pleased with all of them and I drive them to death. Will say it was the easiest to resell the Toyota and it was hanging off of the end of a tow truck at the time.  Tow truck driver bought it. Yes resale on Toyotas is great, but if you drive them to death it really don't matter, scrap is scrap.

ScenicRoute

I get a new truck every 3 years for work.  Ford Chevy dodge dodge Chevy ford.   They’re all junk.  No one makes a work truck anymore.  Diesel last 300k miles...yeah right.  40-50k and they’re done.  There’s a reason people trade in and it’s NOT because they are the best vehicle they’ve ever owned! 

24D50790-0669-4BC9-B01F-D6DB2E1E2A69.jpeg

6 hours ago, Rogue Hunter said:

really question whether they would be practical as a retirement vehicle.

My thoughts in retirement you will most likely be driving less. Any 1/2 ton (by todays standard) is pretty econimical to run especially if roads are decent . In ones retirement years a nice ride will be enjoyed more also. I mean really ~ how much would you save over owning another small pick-up.  When you get into the 3/4 ton & up thats where fuel consumption is noticed. JMHO

terrym
1 hour ago, max2 said:

I mean really ~ how much would you save over owning another small pick-up.  When you get into the 3/4 ton & up thats where fuel consumption is noticed. JMHO

I bet most modern F/S pickups get better gas mileage than a smaller Toyota. They aren’t known as great on gas. 

Grifish

I own a 2004 Tahoe with 240,000mi and it is the reason why I own a 2018 Chevy LT Z71. I really like the 5.3 engine though I would prefer a new 2004 truck over my 2018. 0w30 oil does not make sense to me, way too much electronics, screens, steering wheel buttons.  The truck is difficult to park, even with the back up camera (which is useless in the rain and blinds you at night when you attempt to use the mirrors).  I have 47,000 on the 2018, it is a great highway vehicle it eats up the miles, there are no mods on it and I find that it seamlessly transitions from 4cyl to v8 and the engine has gobs of power.  The trans occasionally hunts for the right gear. The only warranty work that I have had done was the replacement of a tire sensor.

That being said I had both an 89 and 96 Ranger four cylinders with 5 speeds and found them both zippy and reliable. As in all things YMMV!

Brad Eden

The Tundra I have been pondering is a 2018, and has around 50k miles in it. Carfax says it was in an accident to passenger side and front. I asked the salesman about the accident. He told me it hit a moose and sustained $7500 of damage repairs. He said that the repairs were top notch, so they offered it for sale rather than wholesale it. That truck has been on the lot a lot longer than any I’ve seen. Most low mileage used Tundras last a day, and still only a few days to a week during the recent shutdown. This dealership typically has upwards of 8-12 used low mileage smaller Tacoma’s on the lot At any one time, mostly lease offs. They have two right now. This is the same place that has the two Chevys I mentioned in OP

UplandHntr

What kind if warranty are they offering Brad?

My neighbor claims with his 2017 GMC pick-up he gets 28 mpg on the trip up from NJ. Another thought again because you are in the drivers seat. Next trip down to visit family perhaps check the dealerships for a truck. NJ will more often then not have lower priced vehicles and not as much "smutz" placed on the roadways or dirt packed "smutz" caked in the undercarrige. Less rust started. Lower prices come from volume of their inventory .  Go online to dealerships and see what up. Paramus NJ is a good starting point. Just a thought .

Brad Eden
25 minutes ago, UplandHntr said:

What kind if warranty are they offering Brad?

Good question. I have only been tire kicking, haven’t gotten that far yet.

Jacksdad

I would only buy a used Toyota that is Toyota certified.  Very good warranty.  For 50k miles I’d want quite a discount.  

gunsrus

Another plus on the Tahoe . I've owned them for 20 years and this new version gets good gas mileage . Traveling back and forth from Maine  highway miles average 23 mpg . City 17-18 . For a big vehicle , not bad .