REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ol'Forester

Truck Tool Boxes

Ol'Forester

I have started shopping for a tool box for my 2020 Ram. Looking for a saddle type to haul tow straps, jacks, come along, maybe some dog equipment. Most of the boxes at farm stores are $250-$400. Then there are the more expensive boxes such as weather guard that approach $1000. I really was wanting to stay under $400. Are there good reasons to go with the higher priced boxes? I would be a light duty user I guess, but I don't want a real flimsy box or one with latches that don't work either. Would appreciate some advice from users please.

Jim Vander

Weatherguard, look for a used one they come up around me a fair bit. Ive had DZ in past an there is no comparison, the buy once cry once thing comes to mind. 

Marc Ret

IMO, for what you are wanting to store, one of the box store boxes would work just fine.They are lighter weight steel/aluminum with light duty locks. Early on, I had one but it didn't take long to switch over to a Weatherguard for my work truck due to the value of the tools I keep in it. The Weatherguard is simply a much better built and more secure box in every regard. 

Another option would be to mount a small job box on a raised platform in your bed. Relatively inexpensive for a 32" and built much stronger than the cheap tool boxes. Larger are available if more space is needed. I have a 48" and the steel used is easily twice the gauge thickness of any of the inexpensive boxes. The way they lock is more tamper proof too. 

Job Box