REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
GLS

Glad it's over

GLS

An 8 moa red dot covers a 3.2" disc at 40 yards; 3 moa, 1.2" at 40 yards.  If the 8 moa dot is inside the turkeys head, he's inside 40 yards. Gil

Millriver

Our season closed Saturday, Wednesday was my last day to hunt. Never heard a bird, other than Woodcock sky dancing. Tag soup for me, but had a great season.

Called in a big bird for my son, worked one for 1.5 hours to no avail for my friend I’ve been mentoring, and Tuesday last week I missed a Jake at 30 yards. My son could have killed that one and 2 others that walked by him at 10 yards. He said he’d rather get them next year. Hope they grow up and are there next season.

No complaints here. My knees held up and I felt I hunted like I did 5 years ago. I made some great memories and can now focus on training my dogs to wake up at 6 am instead of 4 am!

TTSpringers

30 years for me.  Today is the last day.  I emptied the truck yesterday.  It is always super depressing.  But so is the last day of woodcock season. Usually takes a week to get over it.  I kept out a few calls if it is too windy to fish, i just go scout new public grounds for turkey the next 2 weekends.  But I am certainly wore down.  getting up at 2:30 or 3 am for too many days to count has that effect.  Tom Kelly certainly captures the feeling for me.  On a positive i heard more woodcock this year then ever.  saw more beautiful sunrises than the last 2 years as the past years had so much rain. 

BrentD

I'm relatively new to this at about 20 years of hunting thunder chickens.   That may be why I'm not very good at it either.  Lately, I've been branching out and hunting public land; this year exclusively so. It has been a great way to learn new ground if not fill tags.

My newly repaired right knee held up well on steep ground, but my old retread left knee needs some more restoration.  We will see about that on Friday.

Turkey hunting has taken me to new places that have gotten me excited about coming back for deer - something I've been a bit too bored to take seriously on the old ground for some years now.  But we now enter the Doldrums with nothing to hunt until early teal.  This is always the worst time of the year for that reason.

Take care and stay healthy one and all.