Jump to content

Darne Turkeys


Recommended Posts

I finally got a bird. Took me a heck of a long time, and two tags before I could finally even get close, let alone knock one down.  This guy was not the bird that I was trying to call out of a tree.  This one came from much further away on private ground, looking for my homemade box call.  He, instead, finally landed in my lap and then my slow cooker pot.  

  

My first bird of any kind (other than clay) with a Darne.  This was some of the steepest, roughest country I have ever bird hunted, so the 6 pound gun with a sling was pretty darne (bad pun, intended) nice.

jWwqUnh.jpg
6lN6LUH.jpg

Nearly stepped on this hen's nest on the way out.  I hope she comes back but it was a very poorly placed nest.  

WBww29M.jpg

 

Also, I finally found something that is perfect for wild turkey legs.  A slow-cooked carnitas recipe.  Unbelievably tasty.

5IBqAaF.jpg

 

This is the recipe.  I thought it would be barely edible, but I was wrong, these were the best thing I've ever had from wild turkey legs - by far.

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/trophy-meals-beer-and-citrus-braised-wild-game-carnitas-street-tacos

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats.  What is a Darne turkey?  I hope it's not like the henway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s Darne cool! I really appreciate the well “art directed” photos too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Al said:

Congrats.  What is a Darne turkey?  I hope it's not like the henway.

One that has succumbed to a Darne shotgun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the photos you've posted! A nice looking Darne and sweet photos of the turkey and surrounding habitat! Your photos give me some impetus to get out with my R-10 and try it out on turkeys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2020 at 10:34 AM, BrentD said:

I finally got a bird. Took me a heck of a long time, and two tags before I could finally even get close, let alone knock one down.  This guy was not the bird that I was trying to call out of a tree.  This one came from much further away on private ground, looking for my homemade box call.  He, instead, finally landed in my lap and then my slow cooker pot.  

  

My first bird of any kind (other than clay) with a Darne.  This was some of the steepest, roughest country I have ever bird hunted, so the 6 pound gun with a sling was pretty darne (bad pun, intended) nice.

jWwqUnh.jpg
6lN6LUH.jpg

Nearly stepped on this hen's nest on the way out.  I hope she comes back but it was a very poorly placed nest.  

WBww29M.jpg

 

Also, I finally found something that is perfect for wild turkey legs.  A slow-cooked carnitas recipe.  Unbelievably tasty.

5IBqAaF.jpg

 

This is the recipe.  I thought it would be barely edible, but I was wrong, these were the best thing I've ever had from wild turkey legs - by far.

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/trophy-meals-beer-and-citrus-braised-wild-game-carnitas-street-tacos

I do something similar with turkey legs and thighs.  The secret is to slow cook long enough that meat falls apart, no knife needed.

 

Beautiful bird and gun

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, idcut said:

I like the photos you've posted! A nice looking Darne and sweet photos of the turkey and surrounding habitat! Your photos give me some impetus to get out with my R-10 and try it out on turkeys.

 

 

Have you, by chance, patterned your gun?  Mine is tight as all get out. The left barrel is choked 0.040"  It will be good further than I want to shoot.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are really interesting guns.  My smith had a high grade one a few years ago and I marveled at the design.  It also had swivels like yours and was either a 20 or a 16. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

BrentD,

No I haven't ever patterned it. The only time I hunted with it was on a pheasant hunt to SD and although I was a bit slow and fumbled around with the safety mechanism, I shot it fairly well. Maybe I'll pattern it and take it out this weekend for one last swing at turkeys. If I remember correctly, it was built in the late 40's. 

 

It's a 12 ga with 2.5" chambers and I believe I have some 2.5"  RST shells in #5 shot that should work well for turkeys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is probably from about 1955.  It has 2.75" chambers.  It is also triple proofed to some ridiculous pressure.  

 

What I like about it most is the 6# weight.  The sling loops are pretty handy too, when turkey hunting in rough country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

BrentD,

 

I finally got my Darne back from a smith I had recut the checkering and a few other things. While I was on the phone with him, I asked him if he happened to measure the chokes. He did while I was on the phone with him and came back on the phone and said they were full and fuller. I didn't write it down but I think he said 35/40 constriction. I'll be patterning it before the fall turkey season opens up in another 15 days or so.

IMG_0689.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that is like mine.  Tight and really, really tight.  I know my left barrel is 40 thou.   My left is probably like yours. Kills turkeys mighty dead too. 

 

Good luck.  That's a nice one.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 11:33 PM, idcut said:

BrentD,

 

I finally got my Darne back from a smith I had recut the checkering and a few other things. While I was on the phone with him, I asked him if he happened to measure the chokes. He did while I was on the phone with him and came back on the phone and said they were full and fuller. I didn't write it down but I think he said 35/40 constriction. I'll be patterning it before the fall turkey season opens up in another 15 days or so.

IMG_0689.JPG

Nice wood for an R10.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...