REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
hobbes

SD Black Hills

Bluegill68

Well done Hobbes!  Goodluck with the truck it will no doubt carry it’s weight in memories. 

Millriver

Very nice, I hope to see that country some day.

hobbes
2 hours ago, WMassGriff said:

Congrats and great story! BTW, what optic do you have on your shotgun? I use a saddle mount on one of my shotguns and considering changing out the red dot currently on it.

I use a Vortex Venom.

Treerooster

Nice.

Merriam's do live in some beautiful country. I kill all mine in the Ponderosa Pine habitat of one state or another. Wouldn't want to hunt them anywhere else. Love hearing their gobbles echo off the hills. Smells good too.

A lot of Eastern hunters think Merriam's have a weak or "bubbly" gobble. I can hear a Merriam's gobble from farther away than an Eastern.

hobbes

They have a higher pitch gobble for sure and I can't distinguish a Jake as well as I could with an Eastern.  I love to hear it though.  It's addictive.

RookieEP

Love it all!  Sleep in the truck? 

TTSpringers

Congrats and thanks for sharing.  Was supposed to head there this year again but with the virus and all we postponed. It is amazing country. miss it.

hobbes
5 hours ago, RookieEP said:

Love it all!  Sleep in the truck? 

The bed has a platform in it, so I would have tried it if I'd been on my own.  My wife was with me, so we stayed in a hotel.

I'm planning to try it out in the fall.

bigjohnsd

I've lived in the Black Hills for 25 years now, hunted turkeys off and on over that time.

The first turkey hunt I went on was in almost a blizzard but my buddy and I doubled on a couple of nice birds.  

Usually pretty easy for a non-resident to get a tag in South Dakota and if you go to Wyoming you can by buy one over the counter.

Sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate. We've hunted off of snowmobiles on more than a few occasions.

Chops

Congrats on the Blacks Hills gobbler.  They aren't as easy to kill these days as some people claim, or at least thats my experience.  I've only been out a couple times this season but have yet to hear a bird gobble.

And I know exactly where the pic with the sign was taken.  I've killed birds within a half mile of there but its been a few years. 

hobbes
On 5/27/2020 at 9:46 AM, Chops said:

Congrats on the Blacks Hills gobbler.  They aren't as easy to kill these days as some people claim, or at least thats my experience.  I've only been out a couple times this season but have yet to hear a bird gobble.

And I know exactly where the pic with the sign was taken.  I've killed birds within a half mile of there but its been a few years. 

I saw a couple of those signs, but if you are local it must be more identifiable than I thought.  I covered a lot of country the day before and didn't see much in the way of sign, so they definitely aren't behind every tree.