REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ol'Forester

Garmin Collar Longevity

Ol'Forester

I was talking to a shooter while shooting skeet today about GPS units. He said he had to replace a collar on his Alpha unit. When he called Garmin they told him that was not uncommon after 3 years or so. His was 3 years old. I'm surprised, always heard tri-tronics were the best.

My alpha is coming up on 3 years. I'm now considering buying a second collar for backup. Has anyone else experienced this?

Keith E. Carlson

Mine will be entering it's 9th season.

406dn

I'm running DC 40's on a Garmin 420. The receiver and one collar must be seven or eight years old. I bought an additional used DC-40 from e bay, so I really have no idea how old it is. It appears quite a bit older.

I have had to replace the antenna on the newer of the two collars. Both seem to work as well as when I first got them.

WPG Gizmo

It all depends on how much your using it if it does not get used a lot then it is going to last much longer then if it is worn daily

gaberdeen

Mine is going on 9 with no issues

RGSIII

I have had 4 collars that have failed.  The material on the collar/antenna failed and this is attached in such a way that it is essentially irreparable .  This is a problem known to Garmin.  I can't remember what the options were with replacements, it was not very good.  To say the least I was disappointed.

Old post

ScottGrush
12 hours ago, Ol'Forester said:

. When he called Garmin they told him that was not uncommon after 3 years or so. His was 3 years old. I'm surprised, always heard tri-tronics were the best.

Big difference between Garmin and Tri-tronics. 

TT was very good, great longevity but since Garmin bought them it seems like there is some planned obsolesence built in now. Just my opinion. 

GLS

I am also into 9 seasons with the DC40.  Six with another collar.  Other than a battery replacement, they have been fine.  I have found used collars and the 320 handheld unit that I am hoarding.  The system works fine for my purposes.  Better is always the enemy of good enough and I'm not so sure the newer systems are "better" for my purposes.  Garmin's business model is to eventually drop service on older products.  Gil

ddack

using a 220 and dc-30 collar bought the first year of existence ?? Other than upgrading antennae have had no problems.