REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
garyRI

Personal EPIRB and/or satellite transmitter

garyRI

Anyone research or pickup a personal epirb lately? I have been avoiding taking my boat out solo, want to get out more and want to be able to pin a EPIRB on my PFD. I also mostly hunt alone and understand that some EPIRBs offer a service where family members can keep track of my location on a website.

NJ_Springer

I’ve had the ACR PLB for several years. Always keep it in my pocket when on the boat. The Garmin inreach mini I got last year. That stays clipped on a belt loop. With the inreach I can text my family and also text my network of fishing buddies who also have an InReach when offshore. Works great for sharing fishing intel. It also gives your pinpoint location when you send a text if you choose. I have it set up that way so when I text my family they have my position as well. I also keep an EPIRB and a six man coastal valise life raft on the boat

02AC8B16-51C5-40EC-B6AF-0E7D4167FA8F.jpeg

WyomingArt

ACR-PLB here for several years. Always on the boat in the salt,  usually in the pocket when in AK, bush Canada, canyon country US. 

Lurch

just picked up the Mini for my upcoming elk hunt. posted another topic on here - they're discounted quite a bit at the moment at GPScity

UplandHntr

I use the Glympse App.

sometimes reluctantly as my wife can see if Im speeding, in the McD’s drive thru lane,  etc etc🤪

garyRI
37 minutes ago, Lurch said:

just picked up the Mini

Mini what?

The Garmin Inreach mini?

GLS

4 oz. Satellite communications transceiver with a 50 hour battery that's rechargeable.  Connects with the GOES service for rescue and can email, text and receive texts and emails through the Iridium network.  Subscription service.  It can navigate, has maps through Earthmate, can auto track location if desired.  Little brother of a larger model.  Inreach Explorer +.  Can Bluetooth connect with cellphone for purposes including the cellphone's more user friendly keyboard.  Variable cost subscription service that can be suspended and reactivated without penalty.  I carry it in remote areas beyond cellphone reach.  Gil

garyRI
15 minutes ago, GLS said:

4 oz. Satellite communications transceiver with a 50 hour battery that's rechargeable.  Connects with the GOES service for rescue and can email, text and receive texts and emails through the Iridium network.  Subscription service.  It can navigate, has maps through Earthmate, can auto track location if desired.  Little brother of a larger model.  Inreach Explorer +.  Can Bluetooth connect with cellphone for purposes including the cellphone's more user friendly keyboard.  Variable cost subscription service that can be suspended and reactivated without penalty.  I carry it in remote areas beyond cellphone reach.  Gil

I assume you are describing the Garmin Inreach

WPG Gizmo

That would be the inreach nice to have if you hunt way out in the boondocks or solo makes finding you a whole lot easier if you need help

GLS

As with all EPIRBs or PLD's  including the Mini or Explorer, the "search" aspect of "search and rescue" is eliminated.  Gil

Lurch
3 hours ago, garyRI said:

Mini what?

The Garmin Inreach mini?

Correct - little orange one shown in NJ Springers photo.