Updated - Solo Springer pup training questions and updates..

NJ_Springer

Thanks Ray I appreciate that. Sophie is a sweetheart and is an absolute pleasure. Without a doubt, along with my previous Springer Layla, is the best dog I ever had.

Saturday was a great session. At this point we’re not shooting birds over her. That will start very soon. We’re firing blanks when she’s fired up chasing birds she flushes. Started off with a planted pigeon. Headed over to that area, she found it, flushed it and chased around 10 yards or so and checked back in. Started working her in the field up to where the bird flew, about 50 yards ahead into the woods.  This is where the fun really begins. She catches scent in the woods to our right. A light goes on, and her breeding kicks in high gear. It was amazing to see her figure it out. Picking up the scent cone in the air, then nose to the ground, tail beating a 1000 times a minute hot on the trail.  Birdie as all hell.  She aggressively flushes a quail In the woods that was not planted.  It was awesome and rewarding for me to watch her truly hunt up this quail. Natural talent wise she is ahead of where Layla was at this stage in the game.

We then worked our way up the woods ahead and hunted up and flushed that pigeon. She then hunted up that quail that was sitting tight in cover next to a tree and then started to run. She has a hard and aggressive flush and wound up catching that quail when it went to fly. She hunted and flushed two more quail in a different set of woods following that.

For me it was an incredible day watching her figuring things out and learning how to truly hunt. We started with the intent of planting some pigeons and working on some things, which we did as well. But the highlight was Sophie hunting up three quail which were not planted, pretty much on her own using her inbred natural talent.  Watching that light click on when she was on that first quail was awesome. She knew right then and there what she was bred to do and she loved every second of it. She showed it in her eyes, her crazy beating tail and in her whole body.

Sorry if I’m rambling on but it’s been over 10 years since Layla passed and I’m stoked to be doing this again with Sophie. Man I really missed this more than I realized

Hal Standish
8 hours ago, NJ_Springer said:

A light goes on, and her breeding kicks in high gear. It was amazing to see her figure it out.

Yup sounds like a real day of discovery! depending how "thick " the Zorro blood is in her. Our Zeta is a Zorro Granddaughter and a Cliff daughter, Lets us know when you hit the "The Wall" and she gets to big for her britches. Trust me at the rate your going it will not be long. Time to start building controls in her ground game and "tying" her to the turn whistle. Glad your having a ball with her, that's the way  Field bred's should be.

Hal

NJ_Springer
14 hours ago, Hal Standish said:

Yup sounds like a real day of discovery! depending how "thick " the Zorro blood is in her. Our Zeta is a Zorro Granddaughter and a Cliff daughter, Lets us know when you hit the "The Wall" and she gets to big for her britches. Trust me at the rate your going it will not be long. Time to start building controls in her ground game and "tying" her to the turn whistle. Glad your having a ball with her, that's the way  Field bred's should be.

Hal

Thanks Hal. Just started working on the turn whistle. I’ll be asking for plenty of advice the moment I hit the wall, most likely sooner than later as you said

sxsneubaum
On 1/12/2021 at 7:24 PM, NJ_Springer said:

Just started working on the turn whistle.

I can tell you that this will run you into a wall.  I was under this "belief" or better word, delusion for about ten years. 
It's not a turn whistle, it's a recall.  As was explained to me by a well regarded trainer, was the idea was to get the dog back into the "pocket" while quartering.  The whistle brings the dog back to you, so depending how far away the dog is you bring the dog in to you, then through your body language or a hand signal send it where you want it to go, which could be all the way to you and then kick it back out. 

Hal Standish
On 1/12/2021 at 8:24 PM, NJ_Springer said:

Thanks Hal. Just started working on the turn whistle. I’ll be asking for plenty of advice the moment I hit the wall, most likely sooner than later as you said

Just to bring you up to speed Here is a link to some of Jim Dobb's work with flushing dogs back in the late 80's early 90's.

https://dobbsdogs.com/library/flushing/rspanhup.html

Short i  introductory vid by UK Great Ian Oppenshaw on the why and how of place board training.  

Hal

• 2 weeks later...
NJ_Springer
On 1/17/2021 at 7:55 AM, sxsneubaum said:

I can tell you that this will run you into a wall.  I was under this "belief" or better word, delusion for about ten years. 
It's not a turn whistle, it's a recall.  As was explained to me by a well regarded trainer, was the idea was to get the dog back into the "pocket" while quartering.  The whistle brings the dog back to you, so depending how far away the dog is you bring the dog in to you, then through your body language or a hand signal send it where you want it to go, which could be all the way to you and then kick it back out. 

This is what I am and have been doing. I was able to get my prior Springer on the turn whistle and to me it was useful. We’ll see how it goes

NJ_Springer
On 1/18/2021 at 10:14 AM, Hal Standish said:

Just to bring you up to speed Here is a link to some of Jim Dobb's work with flushing dogs back in the late 80's early 90's.

https://dobbsdogs.com/library/flushing/rspanhup.html

Short i  introductory vid by UK Great Ian Oppenshaw on the why and how of place board training.  

Hal Thanks for link and clip. Much appreciated 

NJ_Springer

Started shooting birds over her last week. No problems with gunfire. She did really well hunting and finding birds, has a nice bold flush, and did well with retrieves. She has a nice hunting pattern and stays within a good range. She’s good on the come whistle and Hup whistle. She did really well hunting up a missed bird, and tracked a cripple and brought it right in on the retrieve. I’m really happy with how she is progressing and the way things are coming along.

I definitely have to tighten up on the yard work. She does well with retrieves and comes right in with the bird, but doesn’t hand the bird right over. She first has to prance around before she hands it over. So far she doesn’t have a hard mouth. I’m working on solidify her coming right in with the bumper to Hup in front of me. I’m working on hold and give, and we’re doing okay the last few days with this so far. I’m going to wait awhile before trying to steady her

215B81D9-1A24-4DAC-8914-E47FFEE9DCA2.jpeg

B9242D3D-0DBD-406D-8481-28DCFC0EB2A3.jpeg

035EA920-173A-4940-BC38-5E476C9CFF57.jpeg

Hal Standish

NJ sounds like she is doing well. As for steadying ...Why wait? If you are going to steady then start now. If not then do not worry about.

Hal