How many folks here have health insurance on there dogs? I have it on my two Llewellin Setters and am very glad that I do. Has saved me money with vet bills that can be overwhelming at times. Last year my oldest setter had a blockage that cost $12500 to repair. I received back $10K on that bill. If you ever are looking for a insurance company look no further than Embrace Pet Insurance Company. They pay claims fast and I have never been denied a claim. My youngest has skin allergies that necessitates a shot every 4 to 6 weeks at a cost of $160 per shot. I get back $133 on each shot! All for a payment of $50 per month. 

UplandHntr

I never have . Always heard it wasnt worth it. My recently departed Golden had 2 titanium knees. $$$$

Maybe its time to revisit with a new pup coming in 6 weeks. 

17 hours ago, UplandHntr said:

I never have . Always heard it wasnt worth it. My recently departed Golden had 2 titanium knees. $$$$

Maybe its time to revisit with a new pup coming in 6 weeks. 

I absolutely would if I were you. My policies pay 80% after you meet a yearly $200 deduction . It also covers 80% of all prescription medications. It has a yearly limit of $10K and no lifetime limit on the dog. You can have it cover yearly checkups but the cost to add that was more than the yearly checkups. But I certainly would not have a dog without it. 

• 1 month later...

Yup. Worth the investment. Over the years I’ve probably gotten paid back more than I paid in premium. Won’t ever be without pet insurance. 

Wes Stueber

nhunter,

Is that $30. a month per dog...?   I may have to look into that as my dogs develop heartworms, even AFTER using HeartGard pills.  With serum from France, it is NOT an inexpensive cure!

Thanks!

Brittman

Enrolled in Embrace with the new puppy. I don’t want to think about the 4 labs before...snake bites, barbed wires, sticks to the eyes....

On 5/30/2020 at 4:49 PM, nhunter said:

Last year my oldest setter had a blockage that cost $12500 to repair. 

Astounding total.  Care to share where the surgery was performed?

17 hours ago, Wes Stueber said:

nhunter,

Is that $30. a month per dog...?   I may have to look into that as my dogs develop heartworms, even AFTER using HeartGard pills.  With serum from France, it is NOT an inexpensive cure!

Thanks!

Brittman

HeartGard should be paying for that issue. 

Virgil Kane

I have used CareCredit in the past  preferring to keep my money in my pocket.  Don't have to take it out before needed and can be approved for credit over the phone on a pretty much instant basis. Worth checking out and can be used for people as well as veterinarian expenses.

https://www.carecredit.com/

Virgil

13 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Astounding total.  Care to share where the surgery was performed?

Veterinary Referral Hospital in Woburn Ma. I live in Central NH but this is the best Veterinary Hospital in the Northeast.   

13 hours ago, Virgil Kane said:

I have used CareCredit in the past  preferring to keep my money in my pocket.  Don't have to take it out before needed and can be approved for credit over the phone on a pretty much instant basis. Worth checking out and can be used for people as well as veterinarian expenses.

https://www.carecredit.com/

Virgil

So you are borrowing money as you need it??

25 minutes ago, nhunter said:

Veterinary Referral Hospital in Woburn Ma. I live in Central NH but this is the best Veterinary Hospital in the Northeast.   

I perused their website.  Large referral hospitals have enormous overhead hence the very high cost passed along to the pet owner.  Curious was your local vet unable to do the surgery?

In the end the math is generally not in your favor on any type of insurance but it becomes worth it if you cant afford to cover cost as unpredictable incidents arise. For companies to offer it the premiums collected need to cover all payouts, operating costs and a gross margin of 30-40% (I could be off here but am basing it on a loose recollection of margins in health and auto insurance and assuming it is similar). This means overall they take in way more in premiums than they pay out in coverage. How much more is debatable but the fact that its more is not. This means for the average customer insurance is a loosing bet, insurance of any type. So why do we buy it, to cover unlikely events that we could not otherwise withstand financially. I dont buy medical insurance for a routine doctor visits, I buy it to make sure if I roll my truck it does not bankrupt me. Even my recent accident and partial thumb amputation, insurance covered about 1 years worth of the premiums that I have been paying for 6 years on that plan with almost no prior claims. 

How does that translate out to pets? I have cash on hand to cover any medical procedure that I would likely approve on a pet of mine, it may be inconvenient but I can make it happen. Knowing that, the odds are in my favor that over time I am better off not having insurance. Perhaps not for any given pet but for many pets over time. If I was in a situation where mustering $5-$8k when needed was impossible and $30 per month for insurance was no big deal it would have made sense, but once you can cover the one big one consistently you are better off not having it in general, there can be winners and loosers on both sides of this but over time and many dogs these are the odds. 

Some ask me why I have health insurance for my wife and I then. Well the answer is simple. If my dog has a heart attack in a grouse cover in the north woods and someone tells me the only way to save him is to bring in a chopper and fly him to the UMN vet hospital for an emergency operation that costs $50k that dog will be buried at the cabin and sorely missed. If it was me or my wife bring the f-ing chopper right the f now. 

In the short game insurance is a loosing bet but might make all the difference in the world if you dont have resources, in the long game its almost always a loosing bet but if you dont have resources may still make sense. 

In my case I lucked out recently and my wife got a job as a vet tech at the vet we use which not only gets a pretty nice discount but buys some flexibility on payment terms if needed. The wages were reasonable but when she told me about the discount I told her this was the perfect job, with 5 dogs it will be a game changer for us compared to her being out of work and no discount at the vet. 

Virgil Kane
11 hours ago, nhunter said:

So you are borrowing money as you need it??

Yes but only as needed for emergencies. I used it when my FB had a hemangiosarcoma on his heart and I needed specialty vet clinic care.  That was a couple of years ago and at the time if I payed it off in 6 months there was no interest charge, don't know if they have the same policies now.  It's a long story but my FB was only 7 years old when this happened. The circumstances involved the sudden onset of the hemangiosarcoma and my wife and I having to leave town which entailed us having to leave my FB at  the specialty clinic for 3 days which was a huge unexpected expense.

Normal care, shots and checkups I pay out of pocket.

Virgil

Virgil Kane
10 hours ago, Speaks said:

In my case I lucked out recently and my wife got a job as a vet tech at the vet we use which not only gets a pretty nice discount but buys some flexibility on payment terms if needed. The wages were reasonable but when she told me about the discount I told her this was the perfect job, with 5 dogs it will be a game changer for us compared to her being out of work and no discount at the vet. 

To sidetrack a little. My DIL is a vet and she refuses to work on any family pets for fear of having to discount the cost.  She says her profession is a knowledge based business and if she gives away knowledge or services she won't make any money.  Lucky for everybody involved they live 5 hours away and I use a different vet clinic.  I think she's a lovely gal and treats my son well, but, I don't think she like me very much. LOL :(

Treat your wife's vet office like they're gold ! It's wonderful that they do that for their employees.

Virgil