10 hours ago, Virgil Kane said:

To sidetrack a little. My DIL is a vet and she refuses to work on any family pets for fear of having to discount the cost.  She says her profession is a knowledge based business and if she gives away knowledge or services she won't make any money.  Lucky for everybody involved they live 5 hours away and I use a different vet clinic.  I think she's a lovely gal and treats my son well, but, I don't think she like me very much. LOL :(

Treat your wife's vet office like they're gold ! It's wonderful that they do that for their employees.

Virgil 

Yea it is very cool what they do for their employees, meds are basically at cost and different services have different levels of discounts. What really surprised me is we had a surgery scheduled for our youngest dog which had been on the schedule for months before my wife even applied for the job. It was done less than a week after she started there and the discount saved us several hundred dollars, basically cut the cost in half. I was not expecting that given that she had only worked 2 days before the surgery was done. 

My wife is in veterinary medicine.   I am blessed that my vet care is darn near free right now. My youngest dog had a surgery and 50 some internal stitches to remove an arrowhead sized piece of a broken stick.  I think my out of pocket was like $50, the normal yearly maintenance is 100% free for shots etc.  My wife has run from veterinary companies that push 'Pet Insurance' as part of their business model.  It's a screw job in my opinion.   I worked  IT in health insurance for 10 years so maybe I am a bit jaded.  I  wrote enough code to understand that insurance companies don't make many bad bets.  $12,400 is astronomical for a bypass surgery in this neck of the woods....about 4 times cost.  FYI for folks that don't remember what everyone does for a living on the UJ, The guy originally asking after the price of the surgery in this thread is a vet.  Truth in advertising, I am a certified miser.  Before my 'family discount' I filled prescriptions from my vet at the cheapest online or commercial pharmacies.  When I Frontlined my dogs I got a large breed and split it between my mediums etc.  I love my dogs like family, but when I evaluate surgeries I consider how much gas they have in the tank and the potential return we will both get out of it.  I pay top dollar for some things, but price shop others.  I paid the piper for an entropion surgery from a veterinary ophthalmologist on my oldest dog when he was a young dog.  It just made sense.

$50 a month for the lifetime of most of my dogs would be around $8,500 in premiums being pretty conservative.  I prefer keeping my money making money so that investment would be quite a bit  more than that given my track record so far.  When I take the dogs I've owned and the money I have had to outlay I am way ahead by insuring myself.  I also don't buy service plans, extended warranties or take loans where I can avoid it either.  I take the best care of the stuff I own as I can, fix what I can by myself and from what I see I am pretty far ahead because of it.  Being raised by a school teacher who was in turn was raised by a single mother who never owned a vehicle or a home has its privileges.  I don't spend money where I don't have to.  My Dad has been retired for the last 25 years due to the way he played the game.  I am hoping I can follow in his footsteps.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:57 AM, Virgil Kane said:

Yes but only as needed for emergencies. I used it when my FB had a hemangiosarcoma on his heart and I needed specialty vet clinic care.  That was a couple of years ago and at the time if I payed it off in 6 months there was no interest charge, don't know if they have the same policies now.  It's a long story but my FB was only 7 years old when this happened. The circumstances involved the sudden onset of the hemangiosarcoma and my wife and I having to leave town which entailed us having to leave my FB at  the specialty clinic for 3 days which was a huge unexpected expense.

Normal care, shots and checkups I pay out of pocket.

Virgil

I guess that is all well and good but I would not have wanted to be $12500 dollars in debt! For my measly monthly payment I have peace of mind and have used it to my advantage.