REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Chicklets...

Brad Eden

Been out a bit more after my week of Lyme or tick disease malaise. This morning I did a fly down hunt with my buddy Scott. We couldn’t raise a gobble through most of morning. We did end up striking a couple, but way off and they only gobbled once and shut down. 

At one spot we were prospecting along a wide power line/Pipeline corridor. We were walking up to a rise in the grassy pipeline along a huge assemblage of boulders, along the tree line. We stopped and I threw out some calls. Suddenly just behind us and less than 5 feet away a hen turkey burst from the ground and flew/hopped over the boulders into the woods. Immediately the ground was moving like we had stepped on an anthill... Im guessing well over a dozen tiny chicks scrambled about our feet. Cute lil buggers. We slipped back the way we had come to let momma hen gather up her brood. And also because an osprey was circling above and making a racket because she had a nest atop a power line pole above our heads. We didn’t see her dive bomb any turkey chicks as we made our way back to the truck. 

The Maine woods are greening up fast and alive with new life.

Millriver

The landowner where my son shot his Tom in April reported seeing a hen with 8 poults walking in their driveway. Good sign for coming seasons.

I was running my dogs on Sunday and Justice flushed a hen grouse playing the broken wing game. I was able to leash up both dogs as the little puffball chicks were running around. We got out of there with no harm done.

You're right, the woods are alive.

MAArcher

The last time I stumbled upon a hen with chicks I got chased all the way back to my truck.

WMassGriff

Nice dry spring so far which helps the broods. The last few springs have been stinkers for successful broods IMO.