REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
WI Outdoor Nut

Herculiner on Ford's Aluminim Box

WI Outdoor Nut

Have a ford truck with the Aluminum box.  In the past I have added the Herculiner coating for a bit of protection in my box.  Now that these trucks are Aluminum, I assume the ability to get a bedliner like this to stick is more difficult.  Anyone do their own Herculiner to a ford box?

Lurch

Mine's got Rhino lining on it (LineX is my 1st choice, but this was already done when I got it).

No issues with it so far.

Greg Hartman

Dunno about that.  I'm very happy with the LineX I had done in mine - not cheap but worth every penny in a truck you want to keep, IMO.

blanked

Delete

Rockdoc

I restored a 21" aluminum cabin cruiser and learned a lot about painting aluminum. It's the aluminum itself that's tricky to paint over, if your truck already has a factory coat of paint on it the bedliner paint should stick to that factory paint just fine. As for my boat, after I stripped it to bare metal I had to first put on a zinc-chromate undercoat that I mixed acid in just before application. The acid etched the aluminum so the zinc chromate would have a proper surface to adhere to. After the undercoat the rest of the painting was pretty normal.

Steve

Birdcountry70

I've never seen anyone take a bed down to bare metal before putting in bed liner so unless you are doing that I don't see why it would matter that the bed is aluminum. Going over sanded paint and sealer should all be the same. 

WI Outdoor Nut
12 hours ago, Rockdoc said:

I restored a 21" aluminum cabin cruiser and learned a lot about painting aluminum. It's the aluminum itself that's tricky to paint over, if your truck already has a factory coat of paint on it the bedliner paint should stick to that factory paint just fine. As for my boat, after I stripped it to bare metal I had to first put on a zinc-chromate undercoat that I mixed acid in just before application. The acid etched the aluminum so the zinc chromate would have a proper surface to adhere to. After the undercoat the rest of the painting was pretty normal.

Steve

2 hours ago, Birdcountry70 said:

I've never seen anyone take a bed down to bare metal before putting in bed liner so unless you are doing that I don't see why it would matter that the bed is aluminum. Going over sanded paint and sealer should all be the same. 

You both bring up great points.  I will be sanding the clear coat off, to create a surface for the herculiner to adhere to.  I will not be taking it down to bare metal.  I am guessing I will be fine then!

Ted Schefelbein

The bodies of the aluminum Ford trucks undergo a plating process, to get the paint to adhere to it. My 2015 Ford F-150 has a LineX liner, same application and prep as a steel box.

Best,

Ted