REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
blanked

Front wheel drive for snow

blanked

Anybody have any complaints using there FWD with snow tires?   

Dogwood

No;  I've done so with multiple Honda's and a VW GTI in snowy lake effect N. Michigan.  I prefer 4 wd but it's very doable.

River19

It really comes down to tire selection.  I would take FWD with good winter tires over AWD with all seasons or worn/crappy winter tires.

A large factor is also the person behind the wheel......no vehicle or tire has solved for the laws of physics......despite what Jeep owners think lol

Samuel Hoggson

Wife and kids did fine with FWD but we learned a full set of studded tires - swapped in and out - was smart. 

Ground clearance can become an issue, not so much on the main roads.  Up here, anyway.  Buried a 4wd Super-Duty in my driveway on arriving home in April, so......

Guess it depends on whether you absolutely must get somewhere.....could get by with FWD and studs now. 

Forgot to mention:  staying alive on slippery is not just tires.  Brakes and shocks are the other two components. 

Plus what's between the ears.

WMassGriff

Don't know what you mean by snow, but FWD+Snow rated tires+common sense will work well in most situations. 

quailguy
1 hour ago, River19 said:

It really comes down to tire selection.  I would take FWD with good winter tires over AWD with all seasons or worn/crappy winter tires.

A large factor is also the person behind the wheel......no vehicle or tire has solved for the laws of physics......despite what Jeep owners think lol

I had friends in Germany that drove everywhere in a rear wheel drive car with studded snow tires without really having much trouble. They only ran the snow tires in wintertime and had them restudded each October. The guy also knew how to drive in the snow, this was in northern Germany. After all. 
BUT, lots of places do not allow studded tires, that is where a good 4WD vehicle with good snow tires really shines. Remember you have to be able to control the vehicle, including stopping it, in snowy, slippery conditions. I once had a FWD vehicle; FWD is better than RWD, but it is not 4WD. 

Like most folks here who have lived in snowy climates I have driven many miles in 4WD with snow tires, or in 4WD with cable chains and Imho that is preferable to anything else. 

But it is the 6 inches between the ears that matters most. Use that head, be cautious.