Not too sure this will happen, but my daughter, who's a traveling nurse and is currently at home here in ID, waiting her next assignment, which will be at Brenner Children's Hospital in the NICU unit, In Winston Salem. My wife has tentatively decided that when she drives back at the end of July, we need to travel in our own car with her. 

Since never having been to WS, and if we do go, is there anything in the city or surrounding area that is a must see? I'm sure I can use google to find something of interest, but local knowledge sure beats google IMO.  Thanks for any replies!

Following  this - just took a new position that will have me often in Greensboro, just east of W/S  (once travel is allowed once again).

• 2 weeks later...
jdligon

This is too funny. I was just about to post asking about the Greensboro area. I’m thinking about applying for a job there. Wondering about schools, traffic, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...
Doubleplay

I live in Charlotte, NC but since nobody answered, I'll try to chime in because I spent time in the general area. WS is a mid size city with a good vibe and proximity to both coast and the mountains(2 hour range) makes it a good place to live in NC. One centrally located newer airport serves Greensboro and Winston Salem. As far as immediate area there's decent hiking in the Pilot Mountain,  a lot of breweries in the city and some decent wineries in the Yadkin River area to visit. Fishing in the lakes and surrounding rivers can be ok in Spring and Fall. Woodcock hunting on game lands is hit or miss depending on the  migration and timing. Bobwhite is almost non existent but can still be found once in a while on public land. As I write this it's 96 outside, so Summers are very humid and hot but you experience four seasons Fall being the best. Good Luck.

Thanks Doubleplay for the response and sorry for my belated response! My wife and I decided not to drive back with my daughter, however, thank you for the information. My wife and I are now thinking we'll fly back there in a few months, depending on what happens with the Covid-19 crap! I don't do well in high heat and humidity, so it's probably a good thing we're holding off going back until later.

1971snipe

I have an occasional business trip to Greensboro.  Most times I fly to Greensboro via a connection in Charlotte; but sometimes I just fly to Charlotte and drive to Greensboro, because it's just an hour or so drive.  

Anyway I always enjoy the area.  Good luck to everyone with your new jobs there.  

2 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

I have an occasional business trip to Greensboro.  Most times I fly to Greensboro via a connection in Charlotte; but sometimes I just fly to Charlotte and drive to Greensboro, because it's just an hour or so drive.  

Anyway I always enjoy the area.  Good luck to everyone with your new jobs there.  

I've was flying into Charlotte often as well - did they finally finish both highways headed north out of town? Used to take me 3 hours just to get to Cleveland which is less than 60 miles!

1971snipe
10 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I've was flying into Charlotte often as well - did they finally finish both highways headed north out of town? Used to take me 3 hours just to get to Cleveland which is less than 60 miles!

I had to search to see where Cleveland is.  Last time I was in Charlotte was this past January 27-30, and drove from downtown to 85, to 285, to 40, to an area close to the Greensboro airport, and don't remember any issues except for downtown Charlotte itself.  So, I can't say about 77 if that's your referenced route.  Charlotte is a nice town, but had lots of construction and renovation going on early this year.  Many many town-homes being built. 

Greensboro seems like an interesting place, as well as the nearby High Point area, which appears to be the location of several small colleges.  I always ate dinner at the Liberty Grill in High Point, but I've just noticed that the owners shut that one down for some reason, which is truly sad.  

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this topic! My wife and I are flying out for MSP on Thursday to visit our son for 5 days and then on to W-S NC to visit our daughter for 5-6 days. Looking at the National WX Service website, it looks like the weather is just about right, daytime temps in the low 70's, etc, etc. Any further ideas suggestions on what to do and see while there? Out daughter has been there for 5-6 weeks now, and certainly doesn't let any grass grow under her feet on her days off. She indicated some places to check out while we're there, so I'm fairly certain we'll be busy running around the area.....thanks!