Mike Connally

Another rescue transport by Above and Beyond English Setter Rescue. 
The older, black setter must be mostly Gordon Setter. 
The small pup sure looks like an Irish Setter to me. 
That pup was turned into rescue by a 19 year old girl who discovered that puppies are “hard work”.   
The older, black setter was turned into rescue immediately after raising a litter of puppies. 

43E6D512-28AF-49CC-A143-887F2EC30C55.jpeg

DBA35AF7-2F20-4D82-AF48-F741D3B28282.jpeg

Mike Connally

Incidentally, that Irish Setter pup is officially the cutest pup in the world. 

• 5 months later...
Mike Connally

Three rescues coming from Greece mid December. I’ll meet them at the airport and transport to their foster home that evening. 
These strays in Greece have absolutely no chance of survival in their homeland. 

45B1D53B-4D91-427F-A7B4-74A34BD9A0C7.jpeg

8D4F5E14-72AB-43EE-9FC2-6D4405352F64.jpeg

1FCC0F84-A1B9-4A5B-8F92-4D2A05D13A7B.jpeg

Mike,

Isn't there a health condition that most dogs coming from Greece have to battle through before they can be adopted? Not sure where I read that, but it seems to ring a bell.

boon hogganbeck

Dear Mike,

Just out of curiosity, why are there so many stray English setters in Greece?  I would not have expected that.  (However, I lived in Rome for a year and change and was surprised at how many pretty English setters we would see people walking around the city... Of course Italians have good taste in all things!)

Mike Connally

I’m not aware of any specific health condition related to stray dogs in Greece, although I’m sure they have their share. 
It is estimated that there are over a million strays there as a result of economic situations. People who can’t afford to feed them simply turn them loose. 
Greece has quite a few bird hunters and therefore quite a few english setters. Extra dogs are simply turned loose. 
ABESR paired with a few setter enthusiasts there who were actively searching for outside help. 
Because of the pandemic there are almost no english setters available for adoption in the United States. The few that come up for adoption have a waiting list of adoptees. 
edit:

Just looked up that question about a specific health condition. 
Leishmania

Endemic to Turkey and Greece. Transport to the US requires two negative tests. 

• 1 month later...
Mike Connally

Here’s a pup that will eventually be up for adoption. I was asked to keep it for a few days while ABESR works on logistics to a new foster. Unfortunately I had to decline because of my wife’s cancer treatments. 
It’s a cutie. 

1C8C7A71-D4B9-4127-ABC0-2808266175C1.jpeg