REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
mccuha

Key Largo Bay boat

mccuha

Ive been wanting to get anther fishing boat for a while. A good friend of mine bought a used Key Largo Bay boat last summer but just isn't using it much and is willing to let me buy it from him.  It has a saltwater outboard and a salt water new fangled trolling motor( the one that you use a remote to navigate with and if you see something interesting to fish you can hit " anchor and the motor will put you and hold you on that spot for as long as you want) . Ive been wanting a bay boat for a while.  it's and 18' boat. and has actually never been in salt. So, do any of you guys have any knowledge about this brand of boat.

RookieEP

What brand motor?

mccuha
10 hours ago, RookieEP said:

What brand motor?

Johnson.  115.   It unfortunately is a 2 stroke

Jalinkly
On 6/27/2020 at 11:46 AM, mccuha said:

Johnson.  115.   It unfortunately is a 2 stroke

Not as convenient but lots of fans of 2 strokes. 

Chukarman

I know nothing about the Key Largo brand. I have an 18" Parker and the Min-Kota ST80 trolling motor with the iPilot set up you describe - built in GPS and electronic remote control. It is an outstanding product and will do more than just 'park' the boat. Allows me to fish by myself with minimum attention to the boat. I've used it in the Pacific, on SF Bay and Delta, and in Southern Baja on the Sea of Cortez.

PaFlyfisher
On 6/28/2020 at 7:15 PM, Chukarman said:

I know nothing about the Key Largo brand. I have an 18" Parker and the Min-Kota ST80 trolling motor with the iPilot set up you describe - built in GPS and electronic remote control. It is an outstanding product and will do more than just 'park' the boat. Allows me to fish by myself with minimum attention to the boat. I've used it in the Pacific, on SF Bay and Delta, and in Southern Baja on the Sea of Cortez.

You may be tied with Ben Hong for most intersting person on UJ.....

Chukarman
1 hour ago, Bede said:

You may be tied with Ben Hong for most inter(e)sting person on UJ.....

I doubt it. I just don't let the grass grow under my feet, as I am plagued with various interests.

WI Outdoor Nut

I have had the Johnson 2 stroke in that same displacement.  Overall good motors, but burn a lot of fuel and oil.  I would want to check compression on it and if possible, see the number of hours.  Cylinder compression should be within 5% of each other.  And these motors smoke.  FWIW, my Johnson 115 horse would average about 2.2 mpg at cruise speed.  My Yamaha 300 horse, 4.2 liter, pushing a 4000# boat gets 4.4 mpg at cruise. 

I am guessing the trolling motor is the Minn Kota Ulterra.  Hopefully 36 v, but 24 could do as well.  This motor is a few $1000.  If it is the gen 1, they had a number of issues with them, mostly on deploying.  And to reset, would need to have it done at an authorized dealer.  If Gen 2, most issues have been worked out.  I have many buddies who have them and are happy. 

Key Largo has a good reputation for a boat, FWIW> 

Swampy 16

Outdoor nut just described the Johnson perfectly. There are many who will call them “bulletproof” but suck fuel and oil quite heavily. 

RookieEP
12 hours ago, Bede said:

You may be tied with Ben Hong for most intersting person on UJ.....

Totally agree