REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Peent

Truck Cap Railing and Rack

Peent

I'm looking for some advice and direction for installing a set of Thule, Yakama or Rhino rack system on the top of my Leer truck cap.  I'd need to drill in some kind of a rail system first.  Has anyone done this or had this done and how much of a PIA is it?  I'd like to haul a canoe or a kayak and probably other stuff too.  

Wirehair

I had thule bars with yakima tracks on my last truck topper.  Thule tracks and yakima track are interchangable. I had the yakima tracks cause they were a little cheaper than the thule.  It's an easy job to do, just position them where you want, tape them down and mark and drill the holes. Then a full bead of chaulk and tighten down the bolts.  

Tha only pain is loading stuff up since the trucks are so much taller now.  

My current truck and topper I did not install my thule bars cause I got tired of lifting the kayaks and strapping them down.  However, I'm finding that I need to put them back on so I can haul the yaks when we take our camper. 

WI Outdoor Nut
24 minutes ago, Wirehair said:

I had thule bars with yakima tracks on my last truck topper.  Thule tracks and yakima track are interchangable. I had the yakima tracks cause they were a little cheaper than the thule.  It's an easy job to do, just position them where you want, tape them down and mark and drill the holes. Then a full bead of chaulk and tighten down the bolts.  

My current truck and topper I did not install my thule bars cause I got tired of lifting the kayaks and strapping them down.  However, I'm finding that I need to put them back on so I can haul the yaks when we take our camper. 

Friend of mine who is short in nature had a heck of a time loading kayaks on her SUV.  I believe it was Thule that had a rod that extend out about 1.5' past the normal width.  To load, she would take the one end of the kayak and place it on the extended rail, while the tail of the boat was on the ground.  Then lift the tail end to where it would normally go on the rack.  Much easier. 

co_setter
48 minutes ago, Wirehair said:

I use a reese canoe loader for both canoes and kayaks.  Link shows removing canoe and just reverse to load.  canoe and kayak loader  You can pick them up for around $75 though I got mine on a garage sale for $5.  😎

Wirehair
2 hours ago, co_setter said:

I use a reese canoe loader for both canoes and kayaks.  Link shows removing canoe and just reverse to load.  canoe and kayak loader  You can pick them up for around $75 though I got mine on a garage sale for $5.  😎

Yeah seen those and the idea is cool but it has 2 problems. We carry two kayaks and also the receiver tube carry makes it so you have to unload in order to drop the tail gate.

co_setter
22 minutes ago, Wirehair said:

Yeah seen those and the idea is cool but it has 2 problems. We carry two kayaks and also the receiver tube carry makes it so you have to unload in order to drop the tail gate.

It's not easy to load 2, but with one boat on top you can find ways to remove the loader and use the back gate.  I either place a pool noodle on the back or use 2 bars and have the loader adjusted so no weight is riding on the loader.

Chukarman

I installed rails and Yakima towers and cross bars on my ARE camper. I sometimes carry a roof top tent, and these are needed. Simple install, as described above. A work of caution... If you have a carpet lining in your camper top drilling through the top can become a problem as the drill will wrap up the liner as it comes through the fiberglass. It is possible to cut an 'X' in the carpet liner, insert a metal tube into the cut and rill inside the tube OUTWARDS to get a clean hole a with no damage to the carpet liner. I used fender washers on the inside to anchor the Nylock nuts and Sikaflex to seal the outside around the holes under the rail.

blanked

I wouldn’t install the whole railing.  Just mount the the racks at the far end of the cap

Peent
56 minutes ago, blanked said:

I wouldn’t install the whole railing.  Just mount the the racks at the far end of the cap

That’s an interesting option.  But then those pods are on all the time.   At least with the rails I can take them off 95% of the time and lessen the drag and noise. 

blanked

They come with a quick disconnect base to mount to