Feeding Trials - Companies

Ray Gubernat
3 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Dam that Dr Tims is pricey. 

I have had multiple dogs for quite a few years, so costs of keeping dogs are always a factor.  I currently have three dogs, down from six and have always looked to find a good feed for a good value.  As mentioned above my current feed is 26/18 and my price, from a local feed supplier is in the neighborhood of $30 for 50#.  

I honestly  have a hard time justifying a 50-  $70 price for 40# of feed, but  if you only have one dog or even two dogs , it is not  huge deal in the overall scheme of things.  If the dog is healthy  and active, that is worth a whole lot.  As I have said in the past, i would not hesitate to use Purina Pro Plan if I had just one dog.  Easy decision for me.

Lots of expensive occurrences can result from or at least  be a contributing factor of a dog not being in peak physical shape when hunting  or training hard.  Having quality nutrition is key to a dog's   ability to perform  at its highest level for the longest period whether that is running for an hour in front of a horse or hunting multiple days  consecutively on a hunting trip.  

RayG

I've fed Purina 30/20 for many years,, maybe 20. All of my dogs have done well on it. I'd knock it a bit since it seems to form tartar on teeth fairly quickly.

The other thing I have done for a long time is have the dogs on a calorie restricted diet. There is a fair amount of research that shows that eating sparingly slows down the aging process. The only downside,, and it's not a big deal to me,,, is they are plenty excited at feeding time. I watch every dog's body condition closely, all year around. I keep them trim. Not so trim as to see ribs easily, but their abdomen is tucked up.

Since we are talking feeding animals, one of my horses REALLY puts on the pounds when the grass greens up. This year I have used a grazing muzzle on him. I should have done it years ago. Most years I just took the weight off of him by riding at field trials for a month straight during August and September. Lots of exercise and I could ration his hay. This year with Covid,, I knew something needed to be done. The muzzle took the weight off of him, and now since the grass is no longer so rich,, he gets to graze without the muzzle most of the time.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Syracuse Farm show several years ago and ran into a sales rep from Victor Dog Food. I told him that we had English Springer Spaniels and spent many days in the field. He asked what I was feeding and after telling him (he never spoke negatively of the food I was feeding) he asked if I might try Victor. He gave me several sample packages and I slowly switched over to the Victor Hi-Pro Plus 30/20. I follow the feeding guidelines on the bag and my two Springers seem to do very well on it. Just my two cents! Have a great day, 627

I use to buy Victor when it first came out and the dogs liked it and seemed to do well on it. But just like all the rest of the new companies they jacked  there prices up continuously so haven’t used it in about 2 years. 

insanelupus

Update.  I did switch foods but stayed with Purina. I went to a 28/18, Purina Pro Plan Focus Puppy Chicken & Rice.

I like what I'm seeing much better. Thanks for the input all.  

32 minutes ago, insanelupus said:

Update.  I did switch foods but stayed with Purina. I went to a 28/18, Purina Pro Plan Focus Puppy Chicken & Rice.

Thats what I have my new Golden pup on. Very happy with it too

Our young wire hair was on ppp sport, and we had to put her on doxycycline for an infection. She started to refuse to eat it, so she has been on Kirkland grain free, because we are thinking she maybe was having an allergic reaction to ppp.

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 7:56 PM, insanelupus said:

Thanks for the update, but need to be honest here, what did you see that you didn't like, and what are you seeing now, that you do like?  I might not know much, but I look for stamina, energy and stool size and shape.  What might I be missing in the dog food world that you are seeing?

insanelupus

My decisions were based off my observations and experience. Purely subjective,  but important to me. Another observer might have seen things differently. 

Initially,  the pup had a reluctance to eat the food,  combined with relatively low energy,  and while the coat was soft, it was not as lustrous as I felt it should be. Weight gain was fine,  stools were fine. 

The complaints were small, and casual observation might not have seem what I did.  While im no expert,  I've had enough exposure to the breed to know there was room for improvement.

The new food has remedied all concerns and the improvement is noticeable to me.  I had hoped to find an acceptable Purina product and I'll use this through next spring and likely transition to an adult formula then.  

Again,  I based my decision off my expectation,  knowledge of the breed,  and observations of my own pup and then researched accordingly.  I have been pleased with the results. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 2:52 PM, 627 said:

I was at the Syracuse Farm show several years ago and ran into a sales rep from Victor Dog Food. I told him that we had English Springer Spaniels and spent many days in the field. He asked what I was feeding and after telling him (he never spoke negatively of the food I was feeding) he asked if I might try Victor. He gave me several sample packages and I slowly switched over to the Victor Hi-Pro Plus 30/20. I follow the feeding guidelines on the bag and my two Springers seem to do very well on it. Just my two cents! Have a great day, 627

I fed PPP to my five dogs for years. When I moved to AZ I found it was a 35 mile drive (one way_) to buy the dogs' food. I found Victor Hi Pro at the local feed store and tried it. It seems to perform as well as the Purina food and costs about the same. I use about 75 pounds a month.

Have tried a bunch of premium feeds over the years and favored PPP until Victor came along.  Believe it just as good, if not a bit better, and affords the benefit of supporting neighbors' feed store, while paying a bit less than PPP (and even more savings than on Victor) through Chewy's.