REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
gwponr

a good rant

gwponr

A month and a half ago I am ranting to a friend about this pandemic shutdown and all the rules here in Cali. I tell Lucy that i am leaving California and headed to Idaho to build a house on my property there. She offers to sell my house for me and promptly puts it on the market, now I was just ranting to rant and really not ready to leave just yet. I threw a high price on the house figuring if I got enough it would be worth it to me to leave but chances were slim that I would get the price I wanted with the work needed. I had a bunch of upcoming work planned and continued with my plans not expecting the house to sell, I planted some blueberry plants and continued with my garden.    Then I get a text from my long time employee who wants to move east of san diego to a more rural area, it is a link to a piece of property with a cabin on it. I call and make an appointment to go see the property, and I meet the owner for a tour and immediately put in an offer. I went home and dropped $35000 off the price of my house and accepted an offer within a week. The owner accepted my offer and then all the paperwork and crap started, it has been a PITA the buyer of mine backed out and I had to accept another, then this buyer waited until the last minute before having to remove all contingencies to try get me to drop some money for repairs. I offered about 15% of what he was asking for and his realtor said he would back out. So I go to be thinking the deal is falling apart and when I wake up there is an email with signed agreement and the deal is done.

Next week I will move into a 900sf cabin on 178 acres one hour from downtown San Diego, it has a small running stream the the seller said is seasonal usually running 8-10 months out of the year. This year with all the rain it looks like it might run all year, it has three wells over an underground mineral stream that are all 20' deep. The best part is the north end butts up on two sides by thousands of acres of public land with no public access anywhere close.  I am looking forward to start exploring, it is loaded with Valley quail right now there are deer and should be turkey also.  There is a drone video on the internet of the property but it lists the address on it and that might be considered hot spotting so I won't post it. I will pull some photos from my phone later

Chukarman

Cool! I like that area and almost bought a small farm there a few years ago.

walt lister

Check out Lake  Morena  south of Pine Valley   There used to be some really big bluegills there. Also big crappie in El Capitan.

gwponr
34 minutes ago, walt lister said:

Check out Lake  Morena  south of Pine Valley   There used to be some really big bluegills there. Also big crappie in El Capitan.

I am about 10 miles of less from lake Morena

gwponr

083ED819-42E7-4EDC-A982-17413940B684.jpeg

gwponr

F508B105-2846-40A5-8C08-A85CA7ACDFD5.jpeg

RookieEP

What did your employee do?

gwponr
13 hours ago, RookieEP said:

What did your employee do?

He bought an fifth wheel and he will be living On the property also. There is a transformer on power pole outside cabin so running more power will be easy

gwponr

D38D6E4A-C5C3-4BE8-9AA9-361DD683B1C6.thumb.jpeg.1c430632d1d9086f222598cd9f1fe1f0.jpeg

strato-caster

Hey neighbor! Let me know if you need help clearing your land of those menacing Valley quail..

Congratulations on your purchase. I used to fly fish Morena and a couple of the other SD lakes in years past with friends from the Long Beach Casting Club. Also, I had a pheasant lease in the Imperial Valley for several years and would hunt dove and quail there on occasion. Pair that with 3 straight years of 300 lb. bluefin, schoolie and and tanker sized yellowfin, yellowtail and dorado on the kelp paddies on the way out to the tuna grounds from San Diego, and you should be in for a summer and autumn of fun. I'm sure you already know, but there were lots of turkeys harvested this past spring in your neck of the woods, so it looks like the sporting life should be good to you. If you need some localized hunting and fishing info, I would be happy to share some sites with you. I seldom get out to backcountry SD for hunting and have wanted to explore the region if you ever want to scout or hunt . 

gwponr

Living rural, I finally have internet again

I've been living on the p[roperty now for three weeks now and am learning a lot.   I have always been into the outdoor, camping, hunting , fishing and whatever else. I have done 30 day in the backcountry back packing by myself but I have always lived in the city. Appliance and furniture stores don't want to deliver or do once a month. all the crawling and flying insects that want in. the worst part I think was moving into a house that hadn't been lived in full time in many years, the first nigh I stopped moving around and the house got quiet the locals came out of the woodwork literally. Mice came out of the cupboards rats came out of the fireplace, the ceiling sounded like a freeway. After 3 weeks I think I gave most of the critters the boot. Ive learned to walk the perimeter of the house when I come home for snakes before letting the dogs out of the car. My fence building customers keep backing out on coming to give bids to fence my yard the local company hasn't returned my calls. Most of the plants I brought in pots were devoured by the critters.  Between work, shopping for furniture and appliances(nothing is in stock) and settling in has kept me from exploring too much. First few times I made the 15 minute hike to the top of the hill behind me border patrol is sitting at my gate watching me. I needed to go to the post office last week and figured they would open a little later than in town so I waited until 8:30 to drive the two miles. I get there and they don't open until 9:30, is i drive home and come back at 9:30. I go back home again and half hour later i head to town, I pass the same unmarked truck all three times. The last time by him he follows me about 20 miles to the border check point, this is the third time I been followed.

I love it here, but it is definitely a learning experience.     I'll write and share more pics later, time to head to town now.

Dave in Maine

It'll take them a while until they figure out you belong.  Then they'll become part of the scenery.  I wouldn't hunt until they know you belong - border patrol has been known to shoot first and ask questions later, assuming they lower themselves to ask questions.  Carry your passport at all times.

gwponr

6 hours ago, Dave in Maine said:

It'll take them a while until they figure out you belong.  Then they'll become part of the scenery.  I wouldn't hunt until they know you belong - border patrol has been known to shoot first and ask questions later, assuming they lower themselves to ask questions.  Carry your passport at all times.

I hunt a lot on the border of Cali and AZ And have had many many dealings with BP never an issue, except once an agent tried to tell me I couldn't hunt a spot. I hunted the spot anyways, turns out he was a bird hunter trying to hoard the spot.  Got an old 40;s or 50;s running bulldozer with the property that will dig a big hole real quick for any problems.  Since they need to permission to cross my land to patrol there adjacent public land of which my land is they're only access I don't foresee problems with them

Just wait until hunting season when Im setting off all they're sensors, now that will be fun

gwponr

this view is a 15 minute walk up the hill from the house  the slanted line on the hill in the background is border

oJRz8PshRIWTBHAbS8FXlw.jpg

Remo
8 minutes ago, gwponr said:

this view is a 15 minute walk up the hill from the house  the slanted line on the hill in the background is border

oJRz8PshRIWTBHAbS8FXlw.jpg

Beautiful country.