REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Speaks

keeping snakes away

spring

You can get this at Lowe's, Home Dept, Amazon, ect.   I can't speak for it but do know it was originally made by a fellow from a small town near me, but I believe has been acquired by Havahart.  

Snake Away is the world’s only EPA registered, university tested, patented snake repellent that is guaranteed to effectively repel both poisonous and non-poisonous snakes. The Snake-Away dry granular mixture is easy to apply and can be sprinkled by hand around homes, trailers, cabins, camp sites, and garages, or wherever snakes repellency is desired. Snake-A-Way is effective for up to 3 months. Yield: Treats up to 3 ½ acres

Snake Away Product Features:

1. Dry granular mixture is easy to apply and can be sprinkled by gloved hand around homes, cabins, trailers, camp sites, and garages.
  2. Effective for 2 to 3 months; effectiveness is not destroyed by rainfall.
  3. Snake-Away is the world's only EPA registered, university tested, patented snake repellent.
  4. Snake-Away is proven effective against both poisonous and non-poisonous snakes.
  5. When used and applied as directed, Snake-Away is environmentally friendly to humans, animals and plant life.
  6. Snake-Away has been universally approved and endorsed by naturalists, conservationists and ecologists.
  7. Product efficacy reached over 83% in laboratory testing and almost 100% with field studies run by all 4 branches of the military.

How does Snake Away work?

Dr. T's uses knowledge of the snake's Jacobson's organ which controls a snake's sensory reception ability. As Dr. T's Snake-A-Way Snake Repellent's active ingredient vaporizes, it is brought into the sensory receptor (Jacobson’s organ) of approaching snakes and creates an immediate interference. The result is that the snake’s sensory system temporarily closes down, confounding the snake and scaring it into hasty retreat. This effect is only temporary, and the snake’s sensory functions will return to normal after the snake has retreated far enough away from the treated area.

SNAKEP-2.jpg

Cooter Brown

Any brush piles or thick undergrowth around the place will attract the sort of small critters that the snakes prey on.

It might be hard to keep that sort of stuff controlled at your cabin, but if you remove the homes the prey lives in the prey will move on and if the prey moves on the the snakes will move on.

Speaks
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

Any brush piles or thick undergrowth around the place will attract the sort of small critters that the snakes prey on.

It might be hard to keep that sort of stuff controlled at your cabin, but if you remove the homes the prey lives in the prey will move on and if the prey moves on the the snakes will move on.

Its mowed on three sides of the barn but there is brush right up to the back. I was up there mowing this weekend and thinking I should clear at least 10 feet behind it. Short of bringing in a dozer though it would be very hard to clear much further back, enough to mow it anyway.  If Covid had not made my bonus go away I had actually been going to get a dozer in and expand the yard as well as put a concrete floor in the barn, but that will not likely have to wait a few years. 

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, Speaks said:

Its mowed on three sides of the barn but there is brush right up to the back. I was up there mowing this weekend and thinking I should clear at least 10 feet behind it. Short of bringing in a dozer though it would be very hard to clear much further back, enough to mow it anyway.  If Covid had not made my bonus go away I had actually been going to get a dozer in and expand the yard as well as put a concrete floor in the barn, but that will not likely have to wait a few years. 

Yep, that's the issue with a non-resident place.  It needs to be fairly low maint. which is sometimes not compatible with keep all the brush and woods at bay.

Speaks
47 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

Yep, that's the issue with a non-resident place.  It needs to be fairly low maint. which is sometimes not compatible with keep all the brush and woods at bay.

I can usually do a pretty good job keeping it mowed and keeping brush from encroaching on the yard. This was more of a design problem. When we had the dozer in clearing for the build we didnt clear behind the barn or around the shed at all. Also left the woods up way to close to the cabin on two sides. At the time it had just been clear cut so it seemed very open, now 11 years later I wish we had done it a bit differently. 

Unfortunately there is not a great way to clear it up now. Its mostly 1.5-2 inch saplings which I could easily knock out with my clearing saw but that would leave thousands of tiny stumps which would prevent being able to mow it and keep it down. After looking at every option I could think of there is no reasonable way to clear additional land myself. I suppose in theory I could get a brush mower that tows behind the ATV then clear it with the saw and mow with that until they rot away enough to use the lawn mower, I have a feeling that will take ages though. 

I was going to get a dozer guy out this year to clear about 30 feet behind the barn clear around the shed, widen the driveway, and about 75 yards down the hill (not all would be yard, part would be and the rest would be mowed periodically and used as a clays range). That wont be in the cards for a bit now though. 

I had this great theory awhile back that I could pull the trees up, knowing it would be low going but do a bit each trip and make progress. After the first few I gave up on that theory though. If there were not so many wolves I would consider getting goats :)

Richard Hale

A car battery will run a fence for a LONG time. 

Speaks
2 hours ago, Richard Hale said:

A car battery will run a fence for a LONG time. 

Now that is interesting, might have to look into that as an option. Could even add one of those little solar chargers to keep it self sufficient all year. Do you rut it right on the ground or just off of it?

Richard Hale

Can’t let snake get under it. Ideally in ceramic holders just off ground. 
you could run wire through those donut shaped ceramic holders. 

Remo

Might be able to stake down a 1x2 and run the electric wire along the top in insulators. Just saw a big garter snake swallowing a mama mouse. It took a little effort but she got it down.

Speaks
30 minutes ago, Remo said:

Might be able to stake down a 1x2 and run the electric wire along the top in insulators. Just saw a big garter snake swallowing a mama mouse. It took a little effort but she got it down.

I saw one once with a big frog in its mouth, it was slithering away with its head a foot off the ground. The frog in the mouth made its head look huge and the frog legs looked a bit like antlers. It sort of resembled an antlered cobra. 

nobirdshere
On 7/2/2020 at 7:12 PM, Speaks said:

Any ideas welcome. 

Um, how about just leaving them be? None of these snakes are dangerous and they're probably doing far more than you know to keep the rodents from infesting your place.

Speaks
1 hour ago, nobirdshere said:

Um, how about just leaving them be? None of these snakes are dangerous and they're probably doing far more than you know to keep the rodents from infesting your place.

I dont mind snakes being around, I even got over garder snakes living in my quads, just start the quad, pull it out, and they generally disburse. A 5 foot pine snake, which while not poisonous can be aggressive coiled up in the quad is not something I want to deal with, the pines dont seem to drop out when we just run the either. I am not taking off down a trail with that thing in there. 

When I sprayed the quads down with cinemon and clove oil 14 snakes dropped out but neither the 3 foot or 5 foot pine snakes did, that is a heck of a lot of snakes where I dont really want them. Yard is fine, woods is fine, even barn I dont mind so much but my quads are essentially unusable right now because unless I see it specifically go into one I dont know which one its in. 

Anyway, not a snake hater, they creep me out a little but I dont hate them. We just need to get back to our truce of no big snakes in the quad or at least drop out when I start it. 

Bird_Man_mike
On 7/2/2020 at 6:29 PM, charlo slim said:

What is the rodent situation in and around your barn? If there is waste grain, feed, etc, you will have small rodents.  If you have those, you will have snakes.  Might be worth checking it out to see if you can reduce any food supplies.  Good luck.

This.  Get rid of the rodents and youll get rid of the snakes.

GLS

Where is St. Patrick when you need him...? Gil