Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Kansas Big Dog

I think you should keep your grass mowed so that the raptors that naturally prey on snakes can better see them and catch them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Speaks

    10

  • SelbyLowndes

    5

  • Big Al

    3

  • Richard Hale

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is the rodent situation in and around your barn? If there is waste grain, feed, etc, you will have small rodents.  If you have those, you will have snakes.  Might be worth checking it out to see

Snakes are cool.  At least the non poisonous kind. I wasn’t born with the instinctive revulsion and fear that I find most people have. I am grateful to see any that I come across, but that’s reasonabl

No clue as to your plan to deter them. But I have a soft spot for them, and there aren’t enough snakes around anymore. 

20 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

I suggested "buy a Mongoose" in another snake thread, but watching an old western on TV the other night I found out you can lay a horsehair lariat around your bedroll and sleep securely in the worst snake country...SelbyLowndes

 

I wonder if it works on bears?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

I think you should keep your grass mowed so that the raptors that naturally prey on snakes can better see them and catch them.

 

Yes, I ended up letting it grow out too much early this year but have been keeping it cut short since. There is a brushy area right behind the barn though that I plan to clear out this fall. Even years that I have kept it short I still have snakes though there have noticed a relationship between grass length and number of snakes, also the more I am up there in general and using the quads the less snakes I see. I will have to do better on both aspects in the future. 

 

Interestingly I have never seen any raptor around though I am sure there are some. 

 

My bucket traps confirmed there are more mice around than I thought. The first 2 weeks they were out I caught over 30 mice though have not caught one since. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Speaks said:

 

Yes, I ended up letting it grow out too much early this year but have been keeping it cut short since. There is a brushy area right behind the barn though that I plan to clear out this fall. Even years that I have kept it short I still have snakes though there have noticed a relationship between grass length and number of snakes, also the more I am up there in general and using the quads the less snakes I see. I will have to do better on both aspects in the future. 

 

Interestingly I have never seen any raptor around though I am sure there are some. 

 

My bucket traps confirmed there are more mice around than I thought. The first 2 weeks they were out I caught over 30 mice though have not caught one since. 

 

Gotta love the bucket traps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I served as a municipal judge for a time I noted that every time someone was charged with yard neglect there was an allegation concerning snakes and rodents.  Must be true?...SelbyLowndes

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 11:26 AM, SelbyLowndes said:

I suggested "buy a Mongoose" in another snake thread, but watching an old western on TV the other night I found out you can lay a horsehair lariat around your bedroll and sleep securely in the worst snake country...SelbyLowndes 

It would be just my damn luck to run across a snake that doesn't watch TV!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Spin said:

It would be just my damn luck to run across a snake that doesn't watch TV!

 

Don't believe everything you hear on late night TV westerns...SelbyLowndes

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel for you.  I hate the bad ones with a passion but the good ones down here can and do eat the bad ones on a regular basis.  I watched a nice king snake whip the piss out of a copperhead a few years ago when squirrel hunting.  It was a sight to see.  The last I saw of the copperhead was its tail going down the king snakes throat.

 

Several of my student graduates working in deep South Texas have sent me pictures of both King snakes and I assume Indigo snakes feeding on some pretty good sized rattlers.  I dont harm the good ones but the other ones are dead on sight.  Here in IL that means SSS..... nuff said.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 8:20 PM, Mike da Carpenter said:

My solution would be to burn it down, sell and move.  Can’t stand them things.

This is your only option.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...