4th of July brisket

Picked up 2 small briskets, on sale last week. Turned out nice. 

IMG_20200705_145421.jpg

Recipe?  Cook time?  I haven't had the guts to try brisket yet. 

1 hour ago, Clueless1 said:

Recipe?  Cook time?  I haven't had the guts to try brisket yet. 

With brisket I keep it simple, about 40/60 coarse salt and pepper mix, with a little bit of onion and garlic powder mixed in.  I also add a pinch of cayenne pepper cause I like a little kick. It’s cheaper if you buy the ingredients separately and mix on your own. 

The time varies on the size of the brisket and the temperature.  These were both about  10 pounds or so and it didn’t require a lot of time.

I keep the smoker about 300 to 350 until the brisket reaches about 160 inside temperature (it took about 4 hrs ) , then I  wrap I up or put it in a pan and cover it up until it reaches about 195 to 200, another 2 hrs.  Once you wrap the brisket you can put I in the oven and save some wood or charcoal. After 3 or 4 hrs the meat is not going to take in anymore smoke, so you are not compromising the flavor. If I have time I wrap the brisket in butcher paper and then aluminum foil, the paper helps to keep the moisture in the meat.  I also cook with the fat cap up, as the fat renders it seeps in to the lean part of the meat.

I don’t think brisket is all that hard, because the long cook time it is forgiving if you make mistakes.  I go  by the meat temperature as the main indicator when it is done and manage the fire to reach what is needed.

I hope this helps.

Barna

IMG_20200705_155814.jpg

I suck as a cook . My kid brother bought me a 3" ribeye for my birthday $36 . It looked fabulous . I cook ribeye all the time but never that thick . I cooked it yesterday or should I say I charred it real bad . 

Ruined, and that was on the grill ! I spent all morning tearing the grill apart and cleaning it . What a mess !!!!

I don't have the heart to tell him . 

My family wants a brisket on the new smoker . Waiting for a friend to walk me through it . Again , I suck as a cook . 

20 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

I suck as a cook . My kid brother bought me a 3" ribeye for my birthday $36 . It looked fabulous . I cook ribeye all the time but never that thick . I cooked it yesterday or should I say I charred it real bad . 

Ruined, and that was on the grill ! I spent all morning tearing the grill apart and cleaning it . What a mess !!!!

I don't have the heart to tell him . 

My family wants a brisket on the new smoker . Waiting for a friend to walk me through it . Again , I suck as a cook . 

A ribeye that thick is better slow than fast.  How dare you ruin that cut of meat. 😡

Brisket is easy low and slow yum

Al you should give up one of your shotguns for killing that beef a 3 inch thick ribeye is a hunk of meat that needs a slow cook

Looks good, ribs and pork butt are my thing...brisket always seems to dry out for me😓

I may try your recipe next time!

I don't do briskets that much, but when I do I hold the EGG at 250-275 F with apple wood smoke for at least 5 hours and then foil wrap and finish in another 3-5 hours at the same temp. Big mistake for most people is th trimm too much of the fat cap off.

18 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

I don't do briskets that much, but when I do I hold the EGG at 250-275 F with apple wood smoke for at least 5 hours and then foil wrap and finish in another 3-5 hours at the same temp. Big mistake for most people is th trimm too much of the fat cap off.

I leave about a 1/2 inch at least, fat equals flavor.  I freeze the fat trimmings and put it out for the birds in the winter.  

Never used the egg before, I hear that they are very efficient, mine is an offset smoker, so the heat travels up and across, usually hotter on top. I adjust the exhaust pipe angle and opening to regulate the air flow to control the temperature.  Once I dial it in it is very consistent.  Truth be told I like playing with fire so its the perfect set up for me. 

Barna

• 6 months later...

Hey Ben I am new to the BGE.  Will one need to top up the charcoal on a 4/5 hr cook at 250/275F?  I read about a lot of long slow cooks on the BGE but haven't yet had the courage or opportunity to try one.

On 1/14/2021 at 12:46 AM, Jake said:

Hey Ben I am new to the BGE.  Will one need to top up the charcoal on a 4/5 hr cook at 250/275F?  I read about a lot of long slow cooks on the BGE but haven't yet had the courage or opportunity to try one.

Jake, top up your EGG with a good lump at the start, add your favourite smoking wood, light the coals, take 20-39 minutes to let it settle down to your desired temp, do corrections by the judicious use of top and bottom vents. What I mainly do is crack open the bottom vent to 1/2 inch and leave it, that means I only have to manage the top vent (daisy wheel). Once the temp has settled down to around 250 - 275 F , leave it and go to bed. After 5-6 hours, stick a thermometer into the thickest part of the meat. It should read 185 -200F at this time. Wrap it in double layer of tinfoil and cook for another 2 hours. Take out and rest it for an hour. Technically some guys want to wrap the meat with a towel at this time, but my wife has an evil eye so I don't. Enjoy!