REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×

Dogwood

Is there any more exciting way to catch any fish anywhere?  Rhetorical question.  

One of 3 nice smallies landed the other evening on a Cordell Crazy Shad.  Man they whacked that thing!

IMG_1109.JPG

Dave Erickson

Nice! the smallies are on their summer topwater tear on the Mississippi. I throw Zara Spooks, Chug-Bugs, poppers and the like tight to riprap. Cloudy days a plus.

Reeba

As exciting as it gets

snood

That's great. Used to fish for bass all the time with topwater lures as a youngster - didn't care if worms or cranks worked better, they weren't nearly as exciting as watching the surface explode!

Zkight89

I will throw topwater all day long just to see one good blow up.

Chukarman

I really enjoy fishing spooks for a number of species. I recall some really epic topwater bites. Lots of fun!

Geoff Roznak
13 hours ago, Dave Erickson said:

Nice! the smallies are on their summer topwater tear on the Mississippi. I throw Zara Spooks, Chug-Bugs, poppers and the like tight to riprap. Cloudy days a plus.

Hmmmm...maybe it's time for me to make a run down there!

SelbyLowndes

They may be discontinued now, but Rapala made a topwater called the "Skitterpop".  It has been my favorite for bass and snook for a few years...SelbyLowndes

Geoff Roznak
9 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

They may be discontinued now, but Rapala made a topwater called the "Skitterpop".  It has been my favorite for bass and snook for a few years...SelbyLowndes

I have a couple.  They work well.

barna

Use to fish jitterbug top water lures at night. It was awesome, listen to the rythim of the bug and then hear a big splash when the fish strikes. 

Cooter Brown
On 7/25/2020 at 1:15 PM, SelbyLowndes said:

According to the Rapala website, they still make 'em.  Without digging thru my tackle these look the same as they always have to me.

Lots and lots of colors on the website.

Rapala Skitter Pop

SelbyLowndes

Thank you Mr. Brown, my doubt was because my local dealer didn't have any. The plug is a pretty durable item, so I have not bought one lately...SelbyLowndes

Cooter Brown
10 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Thank you Mr. Brown, my doubt was because my local dealer didn't have any. The plug is a pretty durable item, so I have not bought one lately...SelbyLowndes

They actually look to be cheaper direct from Rapala than they do at Bass Pro.  The shipping might make a difference though.

Lots and lots of nifty colors, pretty amazing really.

Snook is a bucket list fish for me!

Brad Eden

I concur on top water...probably wrote about this before.

Grew up down the street from an Audubon sanctuary with a bunch of Bass and Pickerel Ponds. They didn’t allow fishing at the time. Me and my brothers and friends snuck in under the cover of darkness. We simply couldn’t resist. We were armed with medium weight spinning gear loaded with Hula Poppers and Jitterbugs. The anticipation of casting into the darkness and listening to the gurgle and waiting for a strike still bumps my Blood Pressure. The largemouth Bass would smash those top water lures. We dragged in Bass in the 6-8 pound range regularly.  I’ve also caught Smallies with deer hair mouse surface flies on a fly rod. That is is crazy exciting. (BTW...I caught a duck by mistake with a surface lure in the dark. I though I had caught a flying fish...)

Sheldrake

Nothing like topwater!627311293_MiddleGroundJune5.thumb.jpg.20e8973124966d2afd172d41f2029693.jpg

June 5 MV.jpg