REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
walt lister

Bees

GLS

We have access to a tupelo swamp during woodcock season.  The owner allows a beekeeper to maintain these hives (or "gums" as local oldtimers used to say) on a hill in the middle of the swamp.  As rent he gets paid in liquid, greenish gold.  Fortunately for me, he spreads the wealth among his friends.  Van Morrison was right about "she's as sweet as tupelo honey".... 

0c5e59cf-a731-47cb-b21e-9d4bc4f83154_zpsmwmt2nku (1).JPG

drummer's stump
10 minutes ago, GLS said:

We have access to a tupelo swamp during woodcock season.  The owner allows a beekeeper to maintain these hives (or "gums" as local oldtimers used to say) on a hill in the middle of the swamp.  As rent he gets paid in liquid, greenish gold.  Fortunately for me, he spreads the wealth among his friends.  Van Morrison was right about "she's as sweet as tupelo honey".... 

I had tupelo honey for the first time this past fall, it was by far the best honey I have ever had. Golden rod honey was always my favorite until I had that tupelo. There is a commercial bee keeper that brings his hives north for the summer, and puts them in the big woods to rest. His rent for placing several dozen hives on the land my company manages he gives each forester a quart of honey. I try to pay him every year, but he never excepts. It is something that I look forward to every fall.  If you ever come to northern Maine, and bring some honey, I will take you into some good bird covers.

1971snipe

Some folks from up North somewhere placed ~50 or 60 hives this spring in each of two different spots where we both hunt and work with pr birds in the winter.  In fact we have a call back pen less than 100 yards from one of the bee yards.  

I'd maybe thought it would be the other way around, ie, down here in winter and up north in summer.  Anyway I like them here, but hope they're gone by the beginning of dove season.  

GLS
1 hour ago, drummer's stump said:

.  If you ever come to northern Maine, and bring some honey, I will take you into some good bird covers.

Deal. :)

On the Trail of Tupelo Honey, Liquid Gold From the Swamps

Hurricanes, blights and encroaching development have cut into the harvest in Florida and Georgia, but a small cadre of beekeepers still fiercely pursues this lucrative prize.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/28/dining/tupelo-honey.html

The Altamaha River Swamp discussed in the above is 50 miles south of me.  Gil

1971snipe
52 minutes ago, GLS said:

Deal. :)

On the Trail of Tupelo Honey, Liquid Gold From the Swamps

Hurricanes, blights and encroaching development have cut into the harvest in Florida and Georgia, but a small cadre of beekeepers still fiercely pursues this lucrative prize.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/28/dining/tupelo-honey.html

The Altamaha River Swamp discussed in the above is 50 miles south of me.  Gil

Thanks for posting the nyt piece, Gil, although it's sort of depressing.  Now I definitely need to locate a jar.  

Remo
4 hours ago, h20fwler said:

I've got six hives out at the farms, four at one- two at the other place. My wife is very allergic to bee's and was so against me putting hives out a couple years ago...after she got the first honey she was all over it like the whole project was her idea from the start. She goes on and on now with bee/honey factoids like she invented beekeeping …bees are endangered, bees are so good for native habitat, honey is healthier than sugar, honey from your county can help you build positive antibodies in your system and on and on...….The honey is just a bonus the wife gives it all away to family and friends.

I just like bees...we have a couple small orchards and my wife loves wildflowers so I put a couple acres in for her..so needed the bees. The other day I counted six different kinds of bees in the pasture.

Xh1tYBp.jpg

eNh55Vm.jpg

artnnXq.jpg

ZrtWjMZ.jpg

Queen in the middle with the ghetto booty

4lA1UhS.jpg

Got a couple mason bee houses out at the farm too

3zFHhMj.jpg

Mmg7hK9.jpg

1TFeKDP.jpg

uO9cCdW.jpg

lQG0z5S.jpg

OwadogF.jpg

HANjCo6.jpg

I1M1sFn.jpg

mfguX0j.jpg

rYhj4fG.jpg

PupEPDb.jpg

Your whole project is a labor of love and a work of art.

WyomingArt
5 hours ago, h20fwler said:

That's a pretty good looking, strong hive, 2 deep, 2 shallow and 1 medium box. 

DD Huntress

I have 35 acres of pollinator. I have asked a bee keeper to put out hives. Someday I would love to have a small apiary.

FB_IMG_1594823926982.jpg

FB_IMG_1594823920931.jpg

FB_IMG_1594823913689.jpg

FB_IMG_1594823907637.jpg

FB_IMG_1594823899841.jpg

Scar

I started a hive at my farm last spring.  I planned to add two more hives this spring but Covid happened.  They are easy to keep, really fascinating and rewarding.  If you have access to property you should give it a look.

Here's a video of me doing a hive inspection last summer.  My hive has grown exponentially so I'll have to take another video this summer to show how many more bees there are.  I keep them in a 20' stock trailer that has a rotten floor so it has been retired to bee duty.  I know you'll get a kick out of watching me suit up.

And some bee pics I've taken.

Bee2.jpg

Bee1.jpg

Scar

And some more pics....

Bee3.jpg

Bee4.jpg

Bee5.jpg

quailguy
9 hours ago, DD Huntress said:

I have 35 acres of pollinator. I have asked a bee keeper to put out hives. Someday I would love to have a small apiary.

FB_IMG_1594823926982.jpg

FB_IMG_1594823920931.jpg

FB_IMG_1594823913689.jpg

FB_IMG_1594823907637.jpg

FB_IMG_1594823899841.jpg

Nice !!

Spin
On 7/12/2020 at 6:20 PM, quailguy said:

Found another photo of us feeding the honey bees down west of San Antonio.  This photo is from January 2015. A combination of drought and a warm

winter in 2014-2015 brought the honey bees out of hibernation.  Lack of nectar during spring/ summer/ fall caused a lack of honey In the hives. That shortage  brought out the bees in the thousands. They were starving and looked in every nook and cranny of trees, the house, bushes, etc.  We  put out 2-3 dishes of sugar water that I had to fill several times a day. 
I felt very sorry about the bees and did my best to keep ‘em going. Yeah, it was prolly stupid to feel sorry for bees, but I hated to just watch them starve.
Outside on the porch the bees were so thick that that my wife refused to go out on the porch due to the tremendous swarm of bees. They would swarm around you not to sting but desperate for food.  During that month or so until the weather got colder I was never stung. 
Here is the only photo of those bees feeding but it gives a good idea of the numbers.  

Feeding the Honey Bees January 2012

This place we all call home would be better off if we had a great many more of folks afflicted with the same such stupidity. I'm on your side.

Fishnfowler
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 6:29 PM, Jakeismydog2 said:

I traded 6 pounds of fresh homemade sausage (Chorizo, Italian, and Vietnamese) along with a batch of fire-roasted fermented Habenero hot sauce (inspired by UJ) for a pint and a half of fresh honey today. My wife baked up 2 loaves of bread... Honey and fresh bread! One of the great gifts God has placed on earth for us.

You are not trading well.  I would trade honey for fresh homemade sausage pound for pound and think I got the better end of the deal.  I wish I lived closer because if you were a mediocre trader I'd give you a gallon of honey for that haul.

quailguy
On 7/12/2020 at 7:20 PM, quailguy said:

Found another photo of us feeding the honey bees down west of San Antonio.  This photo is from January 2015. A combination of drought and a warm

winter in 2014-2015 brought the honey bees out of hibernation.  Lack of nectar during spring/ summer/ fall caused a lack of honey In the hives. That shortage  brought out the bees in the thousands. They were starving and looked in every nook and cranny of trees, the house, bushes, etc.  We  put out 2-3 dishes of sugar water that I had to fill several times a day. 
I felt very sorry about the bees and did my best to keep ‘em going. Yeah, it was prolly stupid to feel sorry for bees, but I hated to just watch them starve.
Outside on the porch the bees were so thick that that my wife refused to go out on the porch due to the tremendous swarm of bees. They would swarm around you not to sting but desperate for food.  During that month or so until the weather got colder I was never stung. 
Here is the only photo of those bees feeding but it gives a good idea of the numbers.  

Feeding the Honey Bees January 2012

Spin said: This place that we all call home would be better off if we had a great many more folks afflicted with the same  such stupidity. I’m on your side. 

I’m not sure the wife would agree. I had to use those really shallow plastic lids held down by rocks to hold the sugar water. Otherwise the bees would drown by the dozen in deeper pans. Those lids did not hold much fluid and I had to refill them 5-6 times a day. I used to put on long sleeved shirts, gloves and a hat to go out and gently fill up each lid with sugar water while many hundreds of bees swarmed about me. Somewhat unnerving to be truthful. We Texans may not be too bright, but can get stuff like this done. 

dogrunner

One of my projects at work two springs ago was to make many hives. I also painted them and help put them out in place. 

2958DAE5-7809-4372-B675-D06FDE51E77E.jpeg

BE0DA473-B484-4449-A77D-115BCC29822F.jpeg

03B66F32-3A8F-4FDC-AC83-302B32E0E5EF.jpeg

2895B3C0-2EC7-4B66-A3D3-D15ECE3E5E08.jpeg