REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Mike da Carpenter

Another Michigan treasure...

Mike da Carpenter

Back on July 25th, 1994 I exited the Army.  My Dad asked me what my plans were.  Told him I was driving up to Copper Harbor, MI and going fishing.  He laughed and said for me to get a job because I had the rest of my life to get up there.  I did what he suggested and now nearly 26 years to the day, I’ve regretted the decision to wait.

This year, we booked a Canadian Fly-in fishing trip for this summer.  Being the border Is closed, my first thought was to finally make it up to Copper Harbor...although, now with my wife and boys.  Why did I ever wait?  I have now been to all points in Michigan and I honestly do not believe there is a prettier place in this state.  I could only imagine the beauty during the winter.  

So far, the boys have caught rainbow trout, splake, small mouth bass and we are going on a Lake Trout charter out on Lake Superior in a few days.  Hard to make memories sitting at home.

2945A000-672A-4421-B407-0ADC7D47BF84.thumb.jpeg.f170dbb2c8363653cce9c6f849c52605.jpeg

Looking North West towards Isle Royale...

E6F8E98A-68F3-4756-8764-87E45072DC80.thumb.jpeg.80bd27b799017adbdf0b9877fff2c005.jpeg

The red arrow below on the right side of the scale, was last year’s snowfall on the Peninsula.

0825EDFA-A17E-4079-84F5-E5DB47CF57AB.thumb.jpeg.ec9c25384f0a6a296d4b4b7ab13726f4.jpeg

All that to say this...Don’t wait to do something.  When we allow others to decide our future, are we living for us, or them?  Maybe my dad knew if I had come up here for that vacation, I probably wouldn’t have come home.

Dakota Dogman

Our dads generation was eminently practical, but sometimes missed life because of it. Glad you fulfilled that bucket list.

God bless,

Mike da Carpenter
10 minutes ago, Dakota Dogman said:

Our dads generation was eminently practical, but sometimes missed life because of it. Glad you fulfilled that bucket list.

God bless,

You are correct.

My dad had 30+ years of retirement planned out and he died a year after finally retiring.  He spent that year in and out of the hospital.  My Mom fell 3 days after retiring while vacationing in Dallas and broke her hip.  She was at the “Grassy Knoll” and tripped on the curb.  Yep, the Grassy Knoll took out another and effectively ending her enjoyment of retirement too.  

I told my wife that will not be me.  She loves the idea and has been on some awesome trips because of it.

1971snipe

I've never really had a so-called bucket list, except for ideas that come and go in my mind.  When I do mention something now and then my wife says "what's stopping you?".  And I'll usually reply with something clever, like "all it takes is time and money".  But as mentioned already, it also requires at least fair health.  So the moral, if there is one, is to grab opportunity when it comes, and when you're able.  

MDash2
3 hours ago, Dakota Dogman said:

Our dads generation was eminently practical, but sometimes missed life because of it.

A lot of truth right there. 

Millriver

Sounds like a great place. Looking forward to seeing more photos when you return.  My dad went to school at Michigan Tech. in Houghton. He’s 6’2”, we’ve got photos of him with the snow over his head! Hope to get up there some day. Enjoy your trip!

Spin1

I've been to Copper Harbor twice, it was rainy and cold both times. Glad you got good weather.

WI Outdoor Nut

Absolutely love the UP, and copper harbor is one of my favorite areas on this planet.  I usually only get up there in winter and would be up there more often if time allowed.   Great scenery and excellent people.  A few snow shots through the years. 

2014-3-27 South Range Snow.jpg

2019-3-3 Muni plains.jpg

Picnic table.jpg

GLS

I had two older friends that are now deceased.  One retired and lived for 10 more years.  He asked the other friend, "when are you going to retire, at the end?"  Which he did.  Youth is wasted on the young.  Glad you got into the fish.  Gil

Tim Frazier

You are spot on, so glad you made it up!  I am where I am under nearly the same circumstances and oddly enough got off active duty with the Army the same year.

Spiller

A few years back I circumnavigated Lake Superior on my motorcycle and camped in Fort Wilkins State Park in Copper Harbor. There was a small fish market on the water, that was also a bakery. They sold smoked whitefish but I was really blown away by their  coffee and thimbleberry donuts which I had never had before or since. I had breakfast there for a few mornings before I headed out and continued on my journey around and then back to Maine. I really liked the Keweenaw Peninsula. Lots of Finns up there.

fourtrax57
Mike,
     Perhaps you could become a "YOOPER"?

WI Outdoor Nut
6 hours ago, Spiller said:

A few years back I circumnavigated Lake Superior on my motorcycle and camped in Fort Wilkins State Park in Copper Harbor. There was a small fish market on the water, that was also a bakery. They sold smoked whitefish but I was really blown away by their  coffee and thimbleberry donuts which I had never had before or since. I had breakfast there for a few mornings before I headed out and continued on my journey around and then back to Maine. I really liked the Keweenaw Peninsula. Lots of Finns up there.

When you were there did you get a chance to try a pasty?  Some of the best ones are at little hole in the wall places. 

Mike da Carpenter
23 minutes ago, fourtrax57 said:

Mike,
     Perhaps you could become a "YOOPER"?

Used to have a cabin in Trout Lake (1/2 way between the bridge and Paradise).  Got tired of the drive up there, but I sure could retire up here one day.

Mike da Carpenter
6 hours ago, Spiller said:

That same fish market/bakery is still there. In all seriousness, I couldn’t believe how good their coffee is.  Had to call them to find out what it is so I can have some shipped to the house.