REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Mike da Carpenter

Another Michigan treasure...

Mike da Carpenter

C455476C-2405-4463-9EFA-102D11B1A054.thumb.jpeg.66262b6d2ff8981ba414379de6765f95.jpeg

Fishing at the above picture produced a few of these brook trout.

F7315C2B-7D9B-44B3-8F59-8AD9B81529B3.thumb.jpeg.934edfd7a9ddd5951b6d59896cd15df0.jpeg

Mike da Carpenter

The youngest is always thinking of ways to make money.  He came up with this idea after watching a few YouTube videos on how to do it.  Gonna try the Superior shoreline in a few days.  Maybe we will strike it rich there.

A1A0C32D-58AA-4929-9128-6F1B42FC463E.thumb.jpeg.04fec9b512dc5111394e654501e9ebf0.jpeg

OldSarge

Little gems. They are sure fun and tasty. 

F9F5D144-F86E-4C10-9089-3649570B511D.jpeg

Mike da Carpenter

Driving down the road, I noticed a HUGE blueberry patch in the middle of nowhere Two-Track fishing adventure, so we stopped, got out and filled up one of Luke’s gold pans with wholesome goodness.

62297B50-448F-49C0-963B-066B0C63F55C.thumb.jpeg.816810035c65f168fd13fdbd3f7a2902.jpeg

topdog1961
22 hours ago, Dakota Dogman said:

Our dads generation was eminently practical, but sometimes missed life because of it. Glad you fulfilled that bucket list.

God bless,

Yep, for me it was my mom. I let her convince me I couldn’t/shouldn’t do a lot of things. “You could get hurt”.  Other than that she was a wonderful loving mother. But as I am pushing 60 and she is long gone, I realize what a heavy price I’ve paid for that. 

Go out and do it while you can. 

Spiller
3 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

That same fish market/bakery is still there. In all seriousness, I couldn’t believe how good their coffee is.  Had to call them to find out what it is so I can have some shipped to the house.

What is it? I'd buy some.  I thought it was wicked good coffee too...it kinda reminded me of my grandmothers coffee which she perked in an old coffee percolator...very smooth....she was a Swedish Finn and my grandfather was a Finnish Finn...she and my grandfather used to sip their coffee from their coffee saucers through a sugar cube held between their teeth.

Mike da Carpenter
8 hours ago, Spiller said:

What is it? I'd buy some.  I thought it was wicked good coffee too...it kinda reminded me of my grandmothers coffee which she perked in an old coffee percolator...very smooth....she was a Swedish Finn and my grandfather was a Finnish Finn...she and my grandfather used to sip their coffee from their coffee saucers through a sugar cube held between their teeth.

Equal Exchange Organic.  I had the Rabble Rouser blend.  It isn’t cheap to buy the beans, but when the outcome is so splendid, it’s worth it.

Mike da Carpenter

The adventure continues...

The old saying “Red sky in morning...” is about to play out.  Hope this isn’t a 3 hour Tour scenario like Gilligan’s Island.

888355A8-2F60-4B3B-91E1-4150F68549E4.thumb.jpeg.c77d41f8f7088f72039e7696e0dc1853.jpeg

dogrunner

That cooler looks too small. 😉

Mike da Carpenter

Trip cancelled.

Got the first line in the water and as we were lowering the cannonball on the 2nd line lightning hit not to far away and we just reversed the line on the downrigger As the oldest reeled in the first line.  We hammered down to the harbor and the rain hit as we turned to enter at the lighthouse.  Went to breakfast and the Captain decided the weather Conditions were going to get worse and reluctantly had to cancel.  

The Captain refunded our total payment and was floored when I handed him $100.  I’ve been there and it was absolutely no fault of his own and the main thing is he used safety to decide the day, not the desire for money pushing his decision.

Here we are hauling Butt back to the harbor on the front edge of the storm.  

87792D41-C88D-4C8F-9D29-5BE9E8BC48C1.thumb.jpeg.c7e50c79e181e430ff92fda8e5b5bd9a.jpeg

Rain, winds and lightning are hitting pretty hard right now and all I can think of is the Edmond Fitzgerald.  Best to play it safe and not become a statistic.

Dave in Maine
8 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Trip cancelled.

Got the first line in the water and as we were lowering the cannonball on the 2nd line lightning hit not to far away and we just reversed the line on the downrigger As the oldest reeled in the first line.  We hammered down to the harbor and the rain hit as we turned to enter at the lighthouse.  Went to breakfast and the Captain decided the weather Conditions were going to get worse and reluctantly had to cancel.  

The Captain refunded our deposit and was floored when I handed him $100.  I’ve been there and it was absolutely no fault of his own and the main thing is he used safety to decide the day, not the desire for money pushing his decision.

87792D41-C88D-4C8F-9D29-5BE9E8BC48C1.thumb.jpeg.c7e50c79e181e430ff92fda8e5b5bd9a.jpeg

Rain, winds and lightning are hitting pretty hard right now and all I can think of is the Edmond Fitzgerald.  Best to play it safe and not become a statistic.

Hire him again for the next trip.  And take a deck of his business cards with you, for other fishermen.

Another way of starting off on the high road.

OldSarge

Good call, Mike. You do not want to be out on the Big Lake when she gets angry. Live to fish another day. We got caught out there last year in 8’ swells on my brother’s 31’ Chriscraft. We got tossed around pretty good and I’m in no hurry for a repeat performance. 

WI Outdoor Nut
28 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Trip cancelled.

The Captain refunded our deposit and was floored when I handed him $100.  I’ve been there and it was absolutely no fault of his own and the main thing is he used safety to decide the day, not the desire for money pushing his decision.

Superior is not forgiving.  Good call by the captain.  Did the storm blow up and was it already coming?  I spend a ton of time on the great lakes and not too many storms surprise me anymore with all the apps.  Last week I was pre-fishing for a tournament.  I could see the storm coming, knew it would blow over in about a 1/2 hour.  Sent my boat out on "anchor lock" in the lake away from shore and took shelter under a lighthouse.  1/2 hour later was fishing again. 

Millriver
On 7/13/2020 at 5:22 PM, Mike da Carpenter said:

Driving down the road, I noticed a HUGE blueberry patch in the middle of nowhere Two-Track fishing adventure, so we stopped, got out and filled up one of Luke’s gold pans with wholesome goodness.

62297B50-448F-49C0-963B-066B0C63F55C.thumb.jpeg.816810035c65f168fd13fdbd3f7a2902.jpeg

Blueberry pancakes with Massachusetts maple syrup! 😋 

Mike da Carpenter
On 7/13/2020 at 8:47 PM, Spiller said:

The 10# of whole beans just arrived.  Put some in the grinder and am enjoying the fresh aroma as it brews right now.

96CF1712-16DA-4C4D-A0B0-9EBA387893F0.thumb.jpeg.ca2a3e028b9c813340404a023036314f.jpeg

Never could of guessed it was grown by midgets.  Don’t have any idea why they would even put that on the bag.