Garmin Alpha location

I hunt with a strap vest and use a Garmin Alpha almost exclusively by itself, although I sometimes supplement it with a small bell in really thick cover.  I have the hand held unit on a tether in my left hand pocket as I'm walking along.  I pull it out of my pocket when I want to check the dogs location, or when I'm looking for a dog.  When I'm going to a dog on point that I can't see I've got the Alpha in my hand until I get close, then if I see the dog I put it in the pocket.  If the bird flushes while I still have the Alpha in my hand I drop it to mount the gun.  The unit just dangles from the tether until I stick it my pocket again.  Last year I hunted with a friend and he had his hand unit permanently attached to his left strap with a heavy wire cable.  He just leaves it dangling from the cable.  I just wonder if there isn't a better solution than either of ours.  Thoughts/ideas???

Virgil Kane

I never found a good solution.  I'm going to get a Garmin Instinct and sync it up with the a Alpha.  Easier to look at a wrist watch than pulling out the Alpha every time.  It's an added expense I didn't plan on but IMO well worth the extra cost for the convenience. 

Virgil 

Sorry Virgil look slike I over posted you, anyway last year was my first with the Instinct and I will never go back.  I rarely need to correct my dog so I use it as a locator/tracker  more so than not. 

Cooter Brown
2 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

I never found a good solution.  I'm going to get a Garmin Instinct and sync it up with the a Alpha.  Easier to look at a wrist watch than pulling out the Alpha every time.  It's an added expense I didn't plan on but IMO well worth the extra cost for the convenience. 

Virgil 

1 minute ago, Bluegill68 said:

I added a Garmin instict to the mix, problem solved. 

Yep.

If my dog chewed up the Instinct tomorrow I'd get another.

I use a carabiner hooked to left strap on my vest, but I attached a "zinger" to the knob on the back of the Alpha and hooked that through my shell pocket to keep the Alpha from swinging all over the place...that drove me nuts until I got this setup.   Works pretty well, but have to use heavy duty zingers as I've broken two when pushing heavy brush.  I found one intended for retracting a trout fishing net, and that's held up great and retracts with a bit more oomph so it really keeps the Alpha from swinging.  

I have the Garmin Fenix mainly because at the time the Instinct was not out yet. Either one works, it is the only way to go IMO this will be my 4th year with the Fenix

24802477597_528cfa56a2_b.jpg

Pyke gear has a new "holster, tether" we will be launching next month.  It will be a true game changer.

www.pykegear.com

Either the Fenix or the Instinct work well to let you know where your dogs are without looking at your handheld.  I use an Astro and have found that a molle radio pouch that I got off eBay holds the Astro just fine and is easier to get it out of than a pocket. I still tether it to molle pouch but it really works well.  I combine it with the Fenix.

if you are interested I will find a link to the pouch and take a picture. 

Fenix on the wrist, Carabiner on the Alpha to my left chest strap, slide it into the left chest pocket to keep from sliding around.

• 1 month later...

Is the alpha really that much of a pain that the watch is that important?  What about sleeves on a jacket.  Or gloves.  Don’t you then have to ride the sleeve up to find the watch? 

7 hours ago, ScenicRoute said:

Is the alpha really that much of a pain that the watch is that important?  What about sleeves on a jacket.  Or gloves.  Don’t you then have to ride the sleeve up to find the watch? 

I've been using the handheld for plenty of years I don't find it hard to use, no watch for me.