Garmin Alpha location

On 7/13/2020 at 9:47 AM, Gundogger said:

I hunt with a strap vest and use a Garmin Alpha almost exclusively by itself, although I sometimes supplement it with a small bell in really thick cover.  I have the hand held unit on a tether in my left hand pocket as I'm walking along.  I pull it out of my pocket when I want to check the dogs location, or when I'm looking for a dog.  When I'm going to a dog on point that I can't see I've got the Alpha in my hand until I get close, then if I see the dog I put it in the pocket.  If the bird flushes while I still have the Alpha in my hand I drop it to mount the gun.  The unit just dangles from the tether until I stick it my pocket again.  Last year I hunted with a friend and he had his hand unit permanently attached to his left strap with a heavy wire cable.  He just leaves it dangling from the cable.  I just wonder if there isn't a better solution than either of ours.  Thoughts/ideas???

Last year I just stuck the Alpha into a shell pocket and it was truly a pain to pull it out to check for the dogs.  This year I have the Wingworks leather holster for mine with the fixed clip, then I snap that to a d-ring onto my strap vest slightly above my waist.  It's a secure, convenient setup that keeps the Alpha from turning toward my body which usually results in my clothes activating the touchscreen.

12 hours ago, ScenicRoute said:

Is the alpha really that much of a pain that the watch is that important?  What about sleeves on a jacket.  Or gloves.  Don’t you then have to ride the sleeve up to find the watch? 

With my setup last year, the watch was really nice - much easier to look at my wrist (even if I had to mess with sleeves/gloves) than to pull the receiver out of a shell pocket and safely tuck it away, especially in the heat of the moment.  This year, it will probably be more of a "nice to have" rather than a game changer.

I will say that if you ever lose your Alpha handheld in the woods, you'll wish you had a watch.  The watch always reports the location/direction from the receiver to the collar - even if the watch isn't near the receiver.  So, if you hold a collar in your hand, you can go the opposite direction of the arrow on your watch in the distance reported to get within a few feet of your receiver - from there, the point alarm or turning your collar on/off to get the "reception lost" alarm on the receiver should make for a quick retreival.  Ask me how I know.

I use a Fenix 3 and it is a decent solution if you don't want to use a beeper or a bell - if you use either of those, I don't think the watch is nearly as valuable as if you don't. 

On the handheld, I run a strap through the lanyard loop and then run the strap to the left vertical strap on my vest. Like this, it hangs over my left shell pouch full-time, but is very secure and easy to access with my left hand. This is the fastest access solution I have found, but provides the least protection to the unit - of course, my primary reason to access the handheld, and reason to access it quickly is to correct or call in the dogs. I have zero concern that the unit may come loose/get lost. 

Cooter Brown
13 minutes ago, E.Young said:

I use a Fenix 3 and it is a decent solution if you don't want to use a beeper or a bell - if you use either of those, I don't think the watch is nearly as valuable as if you don't.

Exactly right.

The big advantage to the watch is that when you're going in to a point you don't have to pick up the handheld and look at it to determine if the dog is still on point, which is a piece of info the bell or beeper gives you.  If you roll the face of the watch to the inside of the wrist you can hold the gun at port arms and glance down to see the watch without taking your hand off the gun or even changing position.  The only thing more convenient would be a heads-up display like fighter pilots use...