REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
idcut

Kayak First time out

idcut

My daughter's last weekend in N Idaho before she headed out for her next nursing assignment in Winston Salem NC. She booked a camp spot at Priest Lake and along with two of her good friends, asked my wife and I if we wanted to drive up for a night of camping. We tagged along with she and her two friends. One friend has a dual/double kayak, which my daughter asked if I wanted to take for a spin with her. Never having kayaked before, I thought it would be fun to try. It was enjoyable and although my technique was fine, it produced some good laughs from my wife and my daughters friends. Once settled in, one of my daughters friends commented that it looked like we were doing a wheelie, due to the weight difference with me in the back. When I tried to get out of the kayak, my wife about died laughing...I basically had to roll out over the edge because I couldn't stand up, to step out of it. 

I didn't realize how much I would enjoy it, I think I'm hooked, despite the razzing I got!

Wirehair

Here I thought you were talking kayaking.   I know nothing about coffee.

idcut

I think I fixed it.

Randy S

I kayaked for my first time this summer on the Kankakee river in Illinois. After a couple hours, I was convinced that without butt conditioning, I'll never be an avid kayaker.

About the exit. My wife suggested that next time (ha!) I tether the yak to my body so we don't have to recapture it at the next bridge.  

Clueless1

We are very recreational kayaker's.  A few 4 hour trips a year.  We do this with the cheap, on sale, open top kayaks from Dick's, Dunhams, Walmart etc.  The kids will go with us usually, and everyone has a great time.  Only warm weather, and we spend as much time floating lazily beside the kayaks (sometimes with a beer cracked) as we do actually paddling.  It helps to be on a river and pointed downstream 😁

IMG_0192 (1).JPG

Spin
1 hour ago, idcut said:

My daughter's last weekend in N Idaho before she headed out for her next nursing assignment in Winston Salem NC. She booked a camp spot at Priest Lake and along with two of her good friends, asked my wife and I if we wanted to drive up for a night of camping. We tagged along with she and her two friends. One friend has a dual/double kayak, which my daughter asked if I wanted to take for a spin with her. Never having kayaked before, I thought it would be fun to try. It was enjoyable and although my technique was fine, it produced some good laughs from my wife and my daughters friends. Once settled in, one of my daughters friends commented that it looked like we were doing a wheelie, due to the weight difference with me in the back. When I tried to get out of the kayak, my wife about died laughing...I basically had to roll out over the edge because I couldn't stand up, to step out of it. 

I didn't realize how much I would enjoy it, I think I'm hooked, despite the razzing I got!

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger idcut. I use, OK Need a heavy knotted rope that's secured at the bow to use to help  myself up into a sitting position. With my other cheesy sit in Yak I need a dock that I can secure a hefty line to, a ladder or a sandbar that I can roll out out on to or crawl out to get free. Actually it sounds like you did pretty well for a first time out. 

They have wider more flat bottomed kayaks and modified versions that are very stable and pretty darn easy to stand in. They aren't as easy paddling nor do they handle rough watters as well however.

Spin
18 minutes ago, Randy S said:

I kayaked for my first time this summer on the Kankakee river in Illinois. After a couple hours, I was convinced that without butt conditioning, I'll never be an avid kayaker.

About the exit. My wife suggested that next time (ha!) I tether the yak to my body so we don't have to recapture it at the next bridge.  

I know the Kankakee very well for almost it's entire length in Ill. Nice river to paddle and not bad fishing once you get to know it. The nearby Iroquois is also nice and Wildcat Rapids can be fun if you're feeling frisky.

topdog1961

Kayaking has exploded the last couple years. Used to, I  rarely saw one.  Now I can sit on my patio and watch them float by all day long. 

My wife and I took a road trip along the coast of N Michigan over the 4th weekend. It seemed everyone was either kayaking, bicycling or running. It felt like I was in Europe. 

idcut

I asked my wife if she was interested in picking up a double seater kayak....her reply "no thank you!" As to the reason why, she didn't say, although after watching me try to exit the kayak,  I suspect she wants to keep her dignity intact! 

Glad to hear I'm not the Lone Ranger, Spin! We had it beached with the bow resting on the sand...my daughter was trying to stabilize it for me, without much luck! Probably should have had it parallel to the beach to roll out onto the sand instead of rolling into the 8-10" of water.

Skybuster

I had to go all the way back to 1992 to find this photo of my wife in what a yak should look like. Not the open style you see today.  We had no problem getting in or out when pulled up on a sandy beach. Loved the way this style of yak cuts through the waves on a windy day. A canoe with its open construction would be all but impossible to control going solo.

Jen.jpg

WPG Gizmo

Instead of a Sit In Kayak get a Sit On huge difference in comfort at least for me we have 4 Kayaks right now 2 sit in that the girls use and I have 2 fishing sit on.  The sit on kayak is so much easier to get on instead of trying to get inside the plus side is when you roll it and you will it is so much easier to get back on.

Jazz4Brazo

We have a sit a top and a canoe..personally I prefer the canoe but we recently went sea kayaking around the interior bays /backwaters and my wife is on the "we need to get kayaks and  do this again and river/lake kayaking"...the rental kayaks were 14.5 ft wilderness brand with the rudders off...heavy and a bit unwieldy so if we got that route we'll need to find a suitable compromise that covers all three with most being lake/back waters and not for running rivers other than the slow lazy Class I/II type stuff.

And I have no interest having them up in top the 4Runner rack so will look to get a light utility trailer that would work for a canoe or a couple of kayaks and so extra duty maybe hauling a UTV or some mulch/topsoil, etc.

Open to ideas...and I did see a sit a top in Rangeley last weekend set up for fishing that looked pretty cool but not practical at this juncture.

J4B 

Spin
4 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

Kayaking has exploded the last couple years. Used to, I  rarely saw one.  Now I can sit on my patio and watch them float by all day long. 

My wife and I took a road trip along the coast of N Michigan over the 4th weekend. It seemed everyone was either kayaking, bicycling or running. It felt like I was in Europe. 

They can cause some problems however. They have no restrictions as to seasons and as yet , to areas where they are not allowed to use. Like after the thaw where they run shallow stretches (namely gravel bed spawning areas) where paddlers have to wade through. This isn't good for the stream in any season as it breaks down streambed structure and degrades small stream fauna, a necessary part of the life chain that the biosphere's based on. No need to mention the spawn when fish are actively on the redds.  I hope this gets addressed.

Millriver

My son is working at a marina until he can find a full time job and he says you’d be lucky to find a kayak anywhere around here, they’re selling like crazy. They sell high end kayaks, Eddyline and Wilderness Systems, and probably selling five a day. 

For a good all around boat, it’s hard to beat the WS Pungo. We own 2 of them. 12 footer for any open water paddling. We’ve had ours for around 7 years but I would look at a sit on top if I was buying new. That boat Dogwood posted is very nice.

I picked up a Field and Stream (Dick’s brand) fishing kayak for very short money this spring but haven’t paddled it yet. My wife paddled it and liked it but likes her Pungo better. 

Stay away from the double kayaks. They call those “divorce boats”😂