REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
idcut

Kayak First time out

Clueless1
13 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Eddyline sit on tops.  The best of all worlds . . . 

https://eddyline.com/kayak-model/caribbean12fs

Nice, but I can buy 6 of the cheap ones for that price😁

Wirehair

a%3E

I really like our Native  Watercraft Ultimate hybrid kayaks.   We have a 12 foot solo and a 14.5 tandem that can also be used as a solo. The photo is our oldest son in the BWCA with the 12 foot solo.

Dogwood
3 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Nice, but I can buy 6 of the cheap ones for that price😁

So true particularly if enjoys paddling a bathtub!

blanked

i have been kayaking as long as i can remember.   never could understand why it wasn't popular on this site

co_setter
1 hour ago, RuffChaser said:

Maybe it would be more popular if stuff like this didn't happen. There isn't much that scares me but that'd do it:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-alligator-slamming-north-carolina-kayaker-flipping-his-boat-n1233936

That is why bass boats will always be more popular than belly boats in Florida.

Clueless1
3 hours ago, Dogwood said:

So true particularly if enjoys paddling a bathtub!

Beer goes down easier in a bathtub.  😁

Dogwood
1 hour ago, Clueless1 said:

Beer goes down easier in a bathtub.  😁

Ya got me there.

mshowman

With the exception of walking, I kayak more than any other activity. I paddle to exercise, fish, explore, scallop, and sometimes just to anchor on a sandbar so I can have a cigar and beer in a peaceful setting. 

0ED835F8-68EC-4E67-87B5-913A2AACE87D.jpeg

5E4070B5-FDA9-4DF6-81C2-61994E2F63D1.jpeg

B087C4A6-9906-4077-A823-37481847841E.jpeg

DD Huntress
23 minutes ago, mshowman said:

With the exception of walking, I kayak more than any other activity. I paddle to exercise, fish, explore, scallop, and sometimes just to anchor on a sandbar so I can have a cigar and beer in a peaceful setting. 

0ED835F8-68EC-4E67-87B5-913A2AACE87D.jpeg

5E4070B5-FDA9-4DF6-81C2-61994E2F63D1.jpeg

B087C4A6-9906-4077-A823-37481847841E.jpeg

Nice setup!

Millriver
21 hours ago, Wirehair said:

a%3E

I really like our Native  Watercraft Ultimate hybrid kayaks.   We have a 12 foot solo and a 14.5 tandem that can also be used as a solo. The photo is our oldest son in the BWCA with the 12 foot solo.

I was wondering if kayaks were popular in the BWCA. It’s a bucket list trip for me someday and feel I’d be more comfortable in a kayak rather than a canoe, though I have plenty of experience in both. Any outfitters up there rent kayaks?

Wirehair
18 minutes ago, Millriver said:

I was wondering if kayaks were popular in the BWCA. It’s a bucket list trip for me someday and feel I’d be more comfortable in a kayak rather than a canoe, though I have plenty of experience in both. Any outfitters up there rent kayaks?

We've seen a few out on the water. I believe I've seen some outfitters have them for rent.  The downside to most kayaks it the limited space to pack your gear.  Ours are no problem for room to pack your gear.  Only other downside is the weight if you portage far.  But for me I like the comfort and stability, mostly the comfort cause the seat design is really good.

bkelble

I run a Canoe and Kayak livery North of Winston, in Danbury. We are closed due to covid, but if she needs any info on kayaking this area, hit me up.

Peent

607F1DC2-E7F2-438C-AA42-BA8C6DBC25C2.thumb.jpeg.6e5a8dc1f2bf704c7bfc4c8315ebeacd.jpeg

I built this 18 foot bullet about 20 years ago.  It needs stripping and re fiberglass hope to get to it this winter.  It’s fast. 

brushbuster

We have 4 recreational kayaks (Perception) and my NU Canoe Frontier 12. 
I enjoy using both but the NU Canoe is extremely stable. I have not tested it too much but I think I’ll have no problem using it duck hunting with my lab.

043CCD10-A919-4893-88A1-9C85F3E923BF.jpeg