Sign in to follow this  
Bird Buster

1999 Chevy Suburban Consider or Not?

gunsrus

Most parts are available but some have been discontinued . Some , I have found on Ebay . Make sure that the driver's seat is straight .The frame is made out of aluminum and bends down from getting in and out of car . To date , I have not been able to find a replacement . Junk yards are full of bent ones . I have fixed mine but eventually will probably have to rebuild , welding steel to support it .

Dave in Maine
5 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Most parts are available but some have been discontinued . Some , I have found on Ebay . Make sure that the driver's seat is straight .The frame is made out of aluminum and bends down from getting in and out of car . To date , I have not been able to find a replacement . Junk yards are full of bent ones . I have fixed mine but eventually will probably have to rebuild , welding steel to support it .

This is where you need to drive a Volvo.  There's a whole community of people who keep their old Volvos running and an ecosystem that parts out the ones that can't go any more, so most all parts are available.  Usually easily, sometimes at a price.

WyomingArt

I've had 5 , all bought used, starting with a '65  and including a '99 ( last year of the side hinged doors, darn.)   My hunting partner had 4.  But I'd be a little gun shy about  a 21 yr old anything not knowing the original owne r. 

Diver

I have had suburbans since 1981. I worked at a chev dealership as a mechanic for 32 years. I built a new shop 11 years ago, and have 2 guys working for me. DD huntress and I load 4 dog kennels and all our stuff and go on trips for 10 days or more. Suburbans are great hunting vehicles. My 2 cents. 

UplandHntr

Here I thought I was the only one in the country that still used a Suburban as a truck! Good to know Im not alone.

Volvo?? I camt say that was ever on my mind when looking at replacements for a Burb. 

terrym
1 hour ago, Diver said:

I have had suburbans since 1981. I worked at a chev dealership as a mechanic for 32 years. I built a new shop 11 years ago, and have 2 guys working for me. DD huntress and I load 4 dog kennels and all our stuff and go on trips for 10 days or more. Suburbans are great hunting vehicles. My 2 cents. 

Great cargo, truck frames and the dogs ride in heat or a/c. Subs are great vehicles. 

fourtrax57

Had a 99 burb for a decade. Had 170K miles on it when purchased.

Sold it last Spring at 280K miles and still running strong, no oil consumption.

It needed the output shaft bearing & seal on the transfer case to be replaced & was due a set of tires.

If I were buying another burb.... I had two main issues with mine

* Wiring harness issues. Had several MINOR electrical gremlins that would come & go.

* Suspension. I will not buy another burb unless it is a 3/4 ton. IMO all 1/2 ton burbs are a little light on the suspension for the size / wt. of the vehicles.

* Brake system a little under sized for the wt of the vehicle.

All that said I really liked the 99 burb. Better yet (IMO) it had the tail gate like a pickup.

OldColonel

Had a 98 Suburban 1500, finally died at 258k, I could have repaired the transmission, but as rust was growing I called it a day.

i miss the split doors, which I loved

GuyO

I have driven Suburbans since 1994. (And 1 Yukon XL). Since retiring and other factors I really don’t need one now. I just can’t give up the superior ride!