REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

How many miles is too many on a used truck?

Brad Eden

42A03167-4FCF-4A46-958A-02EE098C7DBE.jpeg

Truck has a lot of storage nooks and crannies. I was able to get a ball jack, jumper cables, 4 way lug wrench and a general dog/human first aid kit securely behind the back seat. (I never use the crappy tire changing tools that come with vehicles.) Haven’t had an open bed without a cap for 30 years.  Next thing was to modify my ‘one man pick-up bed deer shoverupper’ from old truck. These are especially handy if alone, and you have a cap and can’t stand up in the bed. I put the wooden platform against the tailgate like a ramp, slide the jet sled with deer onto that platform and then lift from the handles and slide it into bed. Old man deer hunter McGyvering. I’ll get seat covers or a seat hammock for back.

spinfly

Congrats on the new ride, I got a solid 12 years out of my last Tacoma. It should serve you well.

Mike da Carpenter
On 7/17/2020 at 10:40 AM, RookieEP said:

Id for sure look up private sales.  That should save you 1.5-2K right there.  Be patient when the right rig comes along pounce like a springer.  Buy from some old guy that keeps in the garage year round all service at the dealer and just drives it to his lake cabin

Believe it or not, they DO exist.  Below is a picture of my 2 Boys’ truck.  When they were 12 & 14, they pooled their money to buy this truck from a guy down south of Detroit.  It is a 2000 Z-71 Chevy with the 5.3 V-8 that at the time had 170,000 (ish) miles on it.  The previous owner had purchased the truck as a retirement gift to himself when he left the plant in December of 1999.  He kept a logbook for everything that had ever been done on it and the receipts show that it was all done at the dealer.  He drove from house garage in Detroit to his cabin garage in Mackinac City (top of the lower peninsula) and back.  He told me that a Z-71 was no longer fun for an 80 year old man.  He wanted a much more comfortable ride.

We worked out a deal for the smooth ownership transition for the boys, and the final disposition of the vehicle at the end of their agreement.  Truth be told, it will be on the cusp of 200,000 miles and since we are just the 2nd owner and have knowledge of everything that has ever been done to it, I will more than likely buy it from the boys and drive it till it dies.  

So far, since we have owned it, besides routine maintenance consisting of oil changes at 2500-3000 miles and rotating tires at the same time, the water pump was replaced, and so were the knock sensors and also the driver’s front hub.  It has been a wonderful truck for the boys.

F23F2848-1C65-474E-BF14-5711209F225C.thumb.jpeg.b1ffb7f5d06a3b000c7884a27d4a2d53.jpeg

gunsrus

It's a good looking truck Brad and I like the color . Good luck with it . 

hmm363

Check out Marathon seat covers. I put them on my 2013 Tacoma and have been extremely happy with them. They wear like iron and are water proof.

max2

Ya got one ! Cool ~ Now you have have to christen the bed with some good eats this season coming !

Enjoy your new truck kid !

Dogwood

Nice looking rig.  I see a cap in your future when the sticker shock wears off though.  

Dogwood

Found a nice selection of tasteful window stickers for you.

Etsy

Cheesy

I nearly bought a Tacoma. Sometimes I wish I had.

For a cover option, on the Tundra I put a soft roll up Tonneau, Tyger brand, bought off Amazon for $150 a year ago. Zero complaints. Keeps my stuff dry. Locks to keep the grab and go guys away. Rolls up to allow full bed access. Installed in 20 minutes.  I bought it never having a cover and to test the waters so to speak without dropping $1000 

Looks like Taco price is $189 today. I know that price fluctuates every so often because I’ve seen guys get them for $130. 

Brad Eden

It will be one week in tomorrow since I drove home in the Tacoma. Report...

I admittedly had some buyers remorse, mostly due to the monthly payment... since I haven’t had one for over 6 years. Also whether I should have waited for a bigger used Tundra or a Tacoma with more Off Road features. But after driving this truck for the last week, I like it more and more. Everything I need without a lot of stuff I don’t need. Naturally, it’s not as gutsy or as smooth as the old Tundra with the V8. And as expected the seats aren’t nearly as plush, but I knew that going in. I loved the Tundra, but even though it was the smaller Gen 1, it was ponderous compared  to this Tacoma. I had read the newer V6 Tacoma’s search for gears more, and that’s true, but I’ve found using the ECT Power (Electronically Controlled Transmission Power.) button/function smooths things out and puts some real pep into the drive when I want it. I watched some Tacoma YouTube videos and found some small but neat features. Like, there are indents in the bed to lay planks so you can carry full sheets of plywood;  you can clip the gas cap onto door instead of letting it dangle; you can pull up and angle the head rests down in back seat, for better visibility with rear view mirror, when no passengers are back there; you can remove head rests, pull down seat backs and have a large flat space in back, and the headrests actually store in the back of the seat once down; there is a clip on each rear side to secure the rear seat belts so they don’t chatter.

I am adjusting to the shorter bed, and put a rubber mat (cut a foot off one end) that Ive used in all my truck beds, over the slick composite bed. I bought a ratcheting cargo bar to keep gas cans and misc from rolling around, and ordered a lockable 35 gallon tote box that I’ll keep secured at end of bed near cab for misc stuff. I’ll eventually get a cap as I have for all my trucks but I’m saving my pennies for a quick attach snow plow blade for my tractor right now...since I lost my truck plow when I sold the Tundra to my mechanic. I plan to get a fabric building to store the Kubota and lawn tractor so I can garage the Tacoma. (A good friend has a good sized one he is using to store stuff during a renovation...that he’s gonna give or sell to me, hopefully before snow flies. I just need to get it from MA to ME). The small size with short bed is also very advantageous in fitting in the garage bay, given I have a work bench on the far wall. 

And when I was on the fence the first couple days my wife reminded me I can always sell it after a year or so if I find it’s not fitting my needs, and get something else. Probably lose some pennies, but that’s life. But...so...so far so good. I am really enjoying this truck. Gonna truck up to camp with mower, weed whacker and pre hunting season stuff soon. That will be a good test.

RookieEP

You have a great smart wife Brad.  I totally agree with her.  You can drive that truck between 6 months or 1 year with little money lost.  The demand for the taco will continue 

shoot-straight

I have posted before that I have A 07 tundra, and likely won't buy another. I have Had some repairs- some "expected" with age, some very premature. ALL very very expensive repairs compared to say a Chevy. Also, they still have not figured out how to properly use seam sealer and other coatings to prevent rust. Mine is terrible. There was a recall, but I did Not have "enough" rust. So they sprayed it with a sealer- covering it up. Not happy. 

My 0.02$

Brad Eden

CCE2BCF5-1283-4686-8759-29BBCDB90B02.jpeg

This is what happens to the BX Kubota tractor when the new guy (Tacoma) moves in...it gets relegated to the outside under Tarps when a Hurricane/Tropical storm is imminent...And Taco gets the garage bay...(yes I baby my equipment...I like them running well...and resale is always on the back of my mind)...Thats Luna with her second haircut of the year. Her ears and tail were kept partially feathered out...cute lil sucker)

max2
23 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I I plan to get a fabric building to store the Kubota and lawn tractor so I can garage the Tacoma. (A good friend has a good sized one he is using to store stuff during a renovation...that he’s gonna give or sell to me, hopefully before snow flies. I

I think you could use a lean-to (carport) built off the side of  your garage for other equipment.  😉

Storage in the north country you can always get back at re-sale