Short Disorientation

Grouse Gunner

Here's a puzzle.  My braque francais just turned 11 in June.  Two weeks ago during a hot and humid morning I took him for a walk and a little run and he was fine.  I get back to the house to do some yard work and call for him and he comes running up to me fine and then hits the brakes and starts staggering like he is drunk.  I pick him up and bring him inside and he pukes some saliva and bile up and two minutes later he's walking around fine.

Last night around 7pm we go on another walk and he is fine until the last couple hundred yards.  He stumbles a bit and displays similar symptoms as the first time without throwing up.  I pick him up and run him home and put him down.  He stands fine, gets something to drink, and then goes and plays with a yak bone.

I took him to the vet tonight and they tested all his neurological abilities, heart and lungs, and checked his ears - everything is fine.  They are running a blood panel and will have the results shortly.  He is eating and drinking fine and has no other issues.  It lasts very quick and then he is fine.  Poor guy.  It sucks getting old. 

Assuming his basic blood panel is normal, my first guess would be hypoglycemia/low blood sugar due to a insulinoma (insulin secreting tumor on his pancreas).  His resting blood sugar on the panel is likely to be normal.  You need to run a insulin/glucose ratio to figure it out.  These are rare but the symptoms are classic.

More commonly he could be having a  brief seizure from a not very nice problem in his brain.  

Anything show up on the blood panel?

SelbyLowndes

I hate reading this thread because we just recently lost one to a Stroke with similar symptoms...SelbyLowndes

On 7/24/2020 at 9:42 AM, Dogwood said:

Assuming his basic blood panel is normal, my first guess would be hypoglycemia/low blood sugar due to a insulinoma (insulin secreting tumor on his pancreas).  His resting blood sugar on the panel is likely to be normal.  You need to run a insulin/glucose ratio to figure it out.  These are rare but the symptoms are classic.

More commonly he could be having a  brief seizure from a not very nice problem in his brain.  

Anything show up on the blood panel?

Good differentials! Any updates?

Grouse Gunner

All the blood work came back perfect and the insulin panel was fine. It's been over a week and a half and no recurrence of symptoms and he's running and going ok.  He was tested throughout the day and nothing was apparent.  I'm a realist and realize that it is probably something that is causing it, but I'm going to let him be his normal self and enjoy him.  If he goes downhill, I hope it's fast.  I just put a down payment on another Braque and I hope Hank gets to meet the little guy in June.  Hank's been a hell of a dog. I appreciate all the input and I will keep you guys apprised.

My Braque Francais (now 5) started displaying similar symptoms at age 2. Occasional drunken staggering and disorientation - but no vomiting. We noted the NexGard he was getting warned about " Use with caution in dogs with a history of seizures or neurologic disorders." After we stopped the Nexgard the frequency of the events went way down, from about once every two weeks to maybe six months.

Best of luck with your braque, and enjoy the new pup.